RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: For thought and meditation Fri Mar 1 2024

USMC 77, USRA 79

For thought and meditation Fri Mar 1 2024

Practical Living
    by Greg Laurie on Mar 1, 2024

We love each other because he loved us first.
    —1 John 4:19

Often, we hear preaching that only emphasizes what we’re supposed to do for God. So, when we go to church, we start feeling guilty because we don’t measure up. We’re not giving enough, or praying enough, or evangelizing enough.

We need to learn more about what God has done for us. In doing so, we’ll gain a greater appreciation for Him, and we’ll want to do more for Him. As 1 John 4:19 reminds us, “We love each other because he loved us first” (NLT).

As we read the Bible, we will find that the primary emphasis is not what we should do for God but what God has done for us. Now, that is not to say that the Bible doesn’t have plenty to tell us about how we are to live and behave as believers. But we need to pay closest attention to Scripture’s emphasis on what God has done for us.

In the first three chapters of Ephesians, the apostle Paul lays out what God has done for us. He’s essentially saying, “Here’s what God has done for you. In light of this, it’s time for you to walk spiritually. It’s time for you to use what God has given to you.”

We could compare the first three chapters of Ephesians to being on a mountaintop. When Jesus was transfigured on a mountain, Peter, James, and John had the privilege of seeing it. And Peter, overwhelmed by what he saw, said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it’s wonderful for us to be here! Let’s make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah” (Mark 9:5 NLT).

In essence, Peter was saying, “Let’s never leave this spot. Forget about the troubles down the mountain. Let’s just set up camp and stay here.”

In the same way, we could read the first three chapters of Ephesians and say, “Forget about the next section. I like hearing about what God has done for me. Let’s not go any further.”

But we have to move on. And as we transition from chapter 3 to chapter 4, an important division takes place. Ephesians 4 begins, “Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God” (NLT).

Notice that Paul begins with the word “therefore.” As I’ve often said, whenever you see the word “therefore” in the Bible, find out what it’s there for. It is always drawing on what has been previously said.

While they were on the mountain with Jesus, Peter, James, and John didn’t know there was a man waiting with a very real need. He had a child who was possessed by demons and needed a touch from Jesus.

Sometimes, we wish that the Christian life could be a constant state of euphoria in which we’re always experiencing God in some wonderful way. But we cannot live on the mountaintop. We need to come back to the valleys, to the real world of practical living.

Have a blessed day!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Amen, a great message today.

Thanks Marko. The valley is where the real work is.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Baron View Post
    Thanks Marko. The valley is where the real work is.
    Amen to that - God Bless
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

What most people forget is that 'God works in us both to will and to do His good pleasure' - that means I don't even have to try, He will work in me the desire and the ability to do God's good pleasure in my life. I can attest to this as true. I have heard many sermons pointing to my guilt of not doing enough but have never heard this passage deliberated on in a sermon.

I will not say there hasn't been hard work involved, and some of it not pleasant. But God works in me both the desire to complete and the ability to do so.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Amen, and I would also like to emphasize your conclusions with a partial quote from you that hits home to many......

"Sometimes, we wish that the Christian life could be a constant state of euphoria in which we’re always experiencing God in some wonderful way. But we cannot live on the mountaintop. We need to come back to the valleys, to the real world of practical living."

And do the best we can. Amen again
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios