Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another New Source for Lead

Boolit Master
    I have a difficult time melting down any perfectly good cast bullets. you never know what firearm and reloadable brass might make its way to you next. in fact the only cast bullets I have ever melted down were a couple big ziplock bags full of 38 wadcutters coated with alox that I found scattered in the scrap yard that had sand stuck to them

Now this only applies if you have a property you can shoot on but the one great investment i made to maintain my lead supply was to get a bullet trap. I'm planning on making a bigger one some day with a better lead recovery system.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Over some years, I filled a 5 gallon bucket, with piles of random cast boolits and round balls that I picked up at gun shows for pennies. It melted into ingots just fine.

I’ve bought reloading tools, equipment and lead in lots (usually estate sales) that almost always have projectiles I’m not going to use. Since I didn’t spend time casting them and the projectiles weren’t even the reason I made the purchase, I have no problem melting them down.

I tend not to cast a large amount of bullets I am not sure I will need. So while I have melted small quantities of bullets I no longer need, it is far from enough to keep me shooting something else.
    Last edited by fredj338; 03-06-2024 at 08:23 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    One of the worst casting mistakes I made was to cast a pot full of pure lino into 240 gr. for .44 mag. How could they possibly not work. Well, they didn't shoot for squat, but they're all sized, lubed, and gas checked and it just hurts to melt them into something else. Maybe when I run out of lino I'll have to use them.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    If I had a bunch of already cast bullets available, I would borrow or buy a new gun to shoot them rather than destroy them!
    You my friend are getting close to needing an intervention!

My bench has a small loaf pan for culls and pull downs, that pan gets dumped into the smelting pot when I melt down drippings, dross, and dibby dabs from bottom of the pot. Have three 5 pound slabs of that mixed lead under my bench. If it gets up to 20 pounds I'll melt it all together, get it tested and use it.

The loaf pan along with a babbitt ingot weigh down the base a powder thrower is mounted on. So it works as a weight until it becomes casting alloy again.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    all the time if I have a batch that has been sitting there for ever
    I melt them down and cast into something I am using at the time
    cause I have molds for what I need
    lead is meant to be reused and recycled again and again
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    You my friend are getting close to needing an intervention!

My bench has a small loaf pan for culls and pull downs, that pan gets dumped into the smelting pot when I melt down drippings, dross, and dibby dabs from bottom of the pot. Have three 5 pound slabs of that mixed lead under my bench. If it gets up to 20 pounds I'll melt it all together, get it tested and use it.

The loaf pan along with a babbitt ingot weigh down the base a powder thrower is mounted on. So it works as a weight until it becomes casting alloy again.
    I am referring to well cast, lubed and sized, bullets. I would just shoot them out of something! I am open to an intervention if you bring the beer.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have a commercial size can from baked beans. Maybe twice the size of coffee cans. When it’s full I melt down all into ingots and mark them with a ? . I have a few of those ingots and if I run low on lead, one day, I’ll use them. Any culls when casting go back in the pot right away.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I am referring to well cast, lubed and sized, bullets. I would just shoot them out of something! I am open to an intervention if you bring the beer.
    What sort of fellow does and intervention and doesn't bring "refreshements" I'll snag a pack of fig newtons to make sure we don't starve.

If you find yourself with a bunch of good looking well formed lubed bullets you want to send to the berm I do hope you'll call, hate to see you doing all that shooting all by yourself, many hands make light work and all that.

I do a fussy inspection when I size or before I powder coat or size so end up with culls at the bench. When casting I watch for obvious culls and toss in the pot as previous poster does but don't really "inspect" as I cast. It seemed to break my casting rhythm too much.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    We have a "Free to Good Home" table at my club. One day there were enough BP projectiles in odd boxes to fill 1-1/2 milk jugs (once I got them home). It was my lucky day. They couldn't have been there long because we have plenty of cast-booliteers at my club.

Boolit Master

I have a couple hundred heavy 357 boolits that I would melt down if I knew how to recycle the gas checks. I hate to waste checks at 4 cents each
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12