Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another New Source for Lead

Boolit Master

Another New Source for Lead

I have been a boolit caster for just over 50 years (yup, old phart). During that time I have cast for practically every firearm I have owned and that was a lot. Kept adding more molds, now have just over 200. Some common, some rare. Recently had an auction sell-off on the firearms and may be selling off molds sometime. My lead stash has gotten low. I recently decided to look through all of the older cast boolits I will not need and decided to melt these down into useable ingots. From this I have learned to be my own source for casting lead. Anyone else do this - melt down their "no longer needed" boolits to have lead for the molds that need to be used? This is something of a "waste not - want not" mindset. Anyone else ever do this?

Boolit Master

I keep an old coffee can on my bench that I throw blemished bullets in. I has added up over the years.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I've done it. Commercial cast .30 and .32 boolits that weren't bad, but I bought molds that shot better.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

When my cousin got out of reloading, he showed up at my door with a truck full of bullets. There was probably 200-300 pounds of old lubed bullets, and many boxes of jacketed bullets, some unopened. I melted the lead bullets, and sold off most of the jacketed ones.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never remelted good bullets. There is a lot of time into making them so why waste them?

But I have never had 200 molds either.

When I sold guns and had cast bullets left for calibers I could not use them in, I would sell or trade them off. Lead is worth $1.25-1.50/lb. Cast bullets about $1/lb more.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I have done it. Not very often but I have.

Moderator Emeritus

I do as well, in fact I have 2 coffee cans of lubed boolits to melt into ingots, and another 3 coffee cans of unlubed boolits that are ready to go directly into the Lee furnace to make more boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have a variation on the theme: a stock of commercial cast bullets I got before I started casting, now a back up source of alloy.

I could use them as is in a pinch, but they’re hardball alloy, in calibers or types I don’t use anymore. I also have plenty of pure and tin I got on the cheap that I could mix it with to make my preferred 95/3/2 alloy, to cast into the bullets I prefer these days.

Boolit Master

I do it all the time...flawed/damaged/pulled boolits, boolits designs that just didn't work out for one reason or another, boolits that I no longer have guns for, etc. Right now, have active bids on two lots of unsized/unlubed boolits (a total of 60-some lbs) from an estate on an online consignment auction that, should I get them, would be prime candidates for 'repurposing'.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

If I had a bunch of already cast bullets available, I would borrow or buy a new gun to shoot them rather than destroy them!

When my first marriage was winding down, I'd cast a bunch of boolits,
    then throw them back in the pot and cast them again.

The boolits were fine, I just didn't want to go back in the house.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    And unlike the marriage the lead got cleaner and better with each casting. Yup, been there got the support check receipts to prove it.

Boolit Master
    I've only done this 1 time that I can recall. I had a 20 gauge shotshell box of Lee .457 500 grain bullets I had cast up years ago. They had never been sized or gas checks installed. I decided that I'm unlikely to shoot them since i only used them in the 460 Weatherby and I haven't had it out in a long time. I dropped them in the pot and turned them into some kind of handgun bullet just a few weeks ago. Other than this I don't think I've ever remelted good bullets. Too much work to make them.

Boolit Master

I wind up getting a LOT of dud rounds and other people’s unwanted reloads. I would never shoot them so I pull them down for the components. Powder goes on the plants, the primed brass gets reloaded. Boolits that get damaged in the pull-down process, or that don’t amount to enough to load again, go into the ‘to be melted’ bucket.

Boolit Master
    This past Friday was a busy day. I had already divided my boolit stash into 2 groups - those to keep "as is', all the others to melt. I have 3 Lyman ingot molds and used them to collect my new melted alloy. Started the day with some pure lead and poured that into "cornbread stick" profile to avoid mixing them with WW alloy. Then the fun began and ran for about 6 hours. While stacking the new WW ingots I counted 190 bars with an average weight of 1 pound each. Got a bit tired and bored but got this project finished. Then I decided to cast some boolits to replace those that had been used up earlier. The mold is a Lyman 429625 2-piece arrangement. One mold casts the base from hard lead, the other makes the nose with soft alloy. Only the base mold was offered on an Ebay auction and very few people showed interest in it. I saw an opportunity, bid and won it. The front of the cast boolit is a huge cavity to accept the nose casting. My goal was to mix half and half WW lead with pure lead. When these boolits are seated in a 44 Special case they look impressive. I have named this the "yawning HP" design. Many years ago my wife and I were traveling through New England and stopped at the Charter Arms factory in Bridgeport, CT. They introduced me to their Bulldog in 44 Special. I talked about that revolver so much that the wife bought one of them for me that year at Christmas, still have it and always will. The Bulldog and this mold made friends long ago and still are. Aside from restocking my ingot stash I also have a bit more room on my work bench for the cans of already cast boolits. Now I just have to hang around long enough to run through these ingots.

I just melt the ones that end up in rejects or ones I had to pull, all gose in a tub to be melted down . Otherwise I only cast what I need . Save the alloy for when I need more for what ever it is needed for. I do not melt good bullets that I have.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

If I needed lead I would certainly do as the OP did.

As it is I have about 150 lbs of COWW that needs to be alloyed, another couple hundred pounds of alloy ready to go plus Lino, and pewter to add as needed.

Between the Covid and advancing age I am not shooting near as much. My air rifles let me keep the itch satisfied and everything tuned. Cost is less that 1.5 cents a shot. And I can do it in my basement with a trap made from a garbage can and old bath towels. Works for me.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Yes, I have had bullets cast for guns that went down the trade trail.
    The bullets went back in the pot to be repurposed.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Mold
    I haven't but I would if my ingot supply ever got low enough, fortunately that has not been the case yet!

Boolit Master
    Yup, I have a few coffee cans of cast that were lubed/sized, ready to load.
    THEN I discovered powder coat.
    No gooey boolits, less smoke when shooting, can push them harder.
    All those went back into the smelt; lemme tell ya, smelting raw whatever, dump a bunch of lubed in, best flux ever !!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast