Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Make a star die

Boolit Bub

Make a star die

I have the equipment, most of the experience, but not when it comes to hitting and exact bore size this small.

I want to make a .463 star lube sizer

How do I get the ID to work out right.

Turning the od to size is no problem, I want to finish the id to the same quality that my lathe smith dies are.

I doubt reaming is accurate enough and I have toyed with the idea of making a id tool post grinder for my bench lathe..... b7t I don't want grinder dust destroying the ways.

Could anyone recommend a solution please?

After you have the die built, drill through with up to a 7/16" drill (0.4375").
    Then if you have a set of reamers, oil it and run a 29/64" (0.4531") reamer through your hole.
    Now find a piece 1/2" of Brass Rod and turn it down to fit your hole.
    Apply some lapping compound to the brass rod and work it through your die while turning.
    Keep checking with gauge pins until you hit the diameter you are satisfied with.
    Remember, your bullets will have some spring back after sizing, so you might want it a little under the 0.463".

AntiqueSledMan.

For me, the real question is what size ID do you need to get the desired size of sized bullet. Star Lubesizer dies are undersize versus the marked size, but I'm not sure by how much. i.e. a .357 -pin will not fit in a .357 sizer die, but a .356 -pin will fit, so something less than .001" undersize.

Assuming you are working with unhardened material, I agree with drilling a pilot hole, but after that I would use a boring bar to get the desired size. Really you should harden the die then grind the ID.
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rbwillnj View Post
    For me, the real question is what size ID do you need to get the desired size of sized bullet. Star Lubesizer dies are undersize versus the marked size, but I'm not sure by how much. i.e. a .357 -pin will not fit in a .357 sizer die, but a .356 -pin will fit, so something less than .001" undersize.

Assuming you are working with unhardened material, I agree with drilling a pilot hole, but after that I would use a boring bar to get the desired size. Really you should harden the die then grind the ID.
    Size will vary, because different alloys have different springback.
    when I've had custom dies made, they always asked me what the alloy was, that I plan to use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Drill the ID of your sizer with a fractional or letter drill undersize. Usually .005~.007 will work and ream with a chucking reamer. Larger sizes like 45 cal use can use an adjustable reamer and "sneak" up on your intended ID. M&M Tool in Mentor, OH has a great reamer selection and priced very reasonably. Final finish to the exact ID can be achieved with a wood dowel and some 80 grit aluminum oxide paper spiral wrapped around the dowel. Go to 100 grit or 120 grit and finish up with 220. Careful spinning your die an in a collet so that the dowel rod does not grab and twist it out of your hand. I have 5 STAR/Magma luber-sizers and have made plenty of sizer dies and punches. Be diligent; if your ID goes oversize, save that die for your 50-70 sizer die! I use mild steel; 12L14 is a nice free machining alloy that will take a good case hardening. I use Kasenite! Its not necessary to use a heat treatable die alloy to make sizer dies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Drill the ID of your sizer with a fractional or letter drill undersize. Usually .005~.007 will work and ream with a chucking reamer. Larger sizes like 45 cal use can use an adjustable reamer and "sneak" up on your intended ID. M&M Tool in Mentor, OH has a great reamer selection and priced very reasonably. Final finish to the exact ID can be achieved with a wood dowel and some 80 grit aluminum oxide paper spiral wrapped around the dowel. Go to 100 grit or 120 grit and finish up with 220. Careful spinning your die an in a collet so that the dowel rod does not grab and twist it out of your hand. I have 5 STAR/Magma luber-sizers and have made plenty of sizer dies and punches. Be diligent; if your ID goes oversize, save that die for your 50-70 sizer die! I use mild steel; 12L14 is a nice free machining alloy that will take a good case hardening. I use Kasenite! Its not necessary to use a heat treatable die alloy to make sizer dies.
    Very interested in making a few dies. I have a 12” lathe in the garage. I have a RCBS lube a matic and a star, I am thinking of making the Star die sizes I have for the RCBS machine and then selling off the RCBS machine.

How are you drilling the lube holes in the side walls to retain a piece of lead shot? Drill a smaller diameter then a larger diameter that doesn’t reach the inner surface?