RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Couple new Powders to me BE-86 and Nitro-100

Boolit Master

Couple new Powders to me BE-86 and Nitro-100

Like the title says..because I been having problems obtaining some Favorite powders..Unique, Red Dot, and AA#5.
    Among others. I have been trying out a couple of powders that I am able to source..relatively inexpensively!!!
    BE-86 so far has been a Grain for Grain swap with my Unique Loads..producing a bit less velocity...so yes...I concur that it is a Slower powder than Unique...but me thinks faster, than #5!! Even subs for Unique, in my 222 and 7TCU...with Cast Boolits!
    Now, Nitro 100NF... different breed of cat! I have Not felt brave enough to experiment much, except to use the 45Colt loadings in my 44Mag, producing the expected Mild Loadings.. In 45ACP, it seems to excell, and 38 Wadcutters are very nice indeed...I was concerned about the Light loadings (by Weight). But it seems less dense than most of the powders I use...alot like Red Dot.. so a powder measure like the Lee, works very well with this Powder.. The same measure that works Best for AA#5 powder..odd shaped stuff! Whereas BE-86 is pretty dense...but of course takes a Bit more Weight also.. so measures alot like the original Bullseye, or 2400... where the Redding powder measure shines.. Tho the Lee measure don't "leak" like it does with fine ball powders.. Like said, only book loadings thus far...but, Promising!!
    Just thought I would share these experiences.. as Powder availability is Not what it has Been!!!!
    Hope it Helps someone.. If Not...welp...skip on by!!!!!~

Boolit Mold
    I've only got one can of BE-86 that I've still not opened. My understanding is that it is basically Power Pistol with a flash suppressant added. Someone may come along an correct me.

Boolit Master
    ^^^ Yes I have heard (seen) folks from Alliant say exactly that... But...I never used a drop of Power Pistol...so
    I am finding Unique data to be a Great starting point...but...maybe should use Power Pistol data!!!
    Now...Why didn't I think of that??? I'm gonna go with...Gettin Old!!!

Boolit Master
    I think BE86 is a great powder. I bought in big time on it and 300mp when they first came out and have no regrets especially with current powder prices. I use it in lots of handgun rounds. I keep hoping someone with a lot more expertise than me would do comparison with unique as ive never even thought of trying it in 30-30, 32 spl or 35 rem cast bullet rounds. for the most part it burns clean with no giant fireball and gives top velocity in 9mm and 40 S&W and no magnum primers needed. I also use it for top velocity 38 spl cast bullet loads that dont exceed max pressure for an old lend lease S&W victory gun

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I think BE86 is a great powder. I bought in big time on it and 300mp when they first came out and have no regrets especially with current powder prices. I use it in lots of handgun rounds. I keep hoping someone with a lot more expertise than me would do comparison with unique as ive never even thought of trying it in 30-30, 32 spl or 35 rem cast bullet rounds. for the most part it burns clean with no giant fireball and gives top velocity in 9mm and 40 S&W and no magnum primers needed. I also use it for top velocity 38 spl cast bullet loads that dont exceed max pressure for an old lend lease S&W victory gun
    Actually 30-30 with the Lee 170GC is next..My Unique load is Very mild, using 8.6, and sometimes as much as 9.0 gr
    so will use the same of BE-86..
    Already done 221 Fireball, 222, and 7TCU...besides my 32 S&W, 32S&W Long, 32H&R Mag, 38, 357, 44Mag, 45 Colt, and 45ACP
    Loadings.
    I have no plans to put it in my 35 Remington..Preferring to leave the throttle down on that...as I can go Down in many ways...Starting with the 357 Herrett!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimfire McNutjob View Post
    I've only got one can of BE-86 that I've still not opened. My understanding is that it is basically Power Pistol with a flash suppressant added. Someone may come along an correct me.
    It's definitely not the same as Power Pistol with flash suppressant. If you try to use Power Pistol data with BE-86, you could easily get into some excessive pressures.

I've found that Power Pistol is about half a grain to a full grain slower than BE-86 in most of my magnum revolver cartridges.

They do look very similar, both having the same flake size as Bullseye. This is reflected in the name with BE-86, and also in the OEM name for Power Pistol, which is BE-84.

They are absolutely not the same powder, however.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    It's definitely not the same as Power Pistol with flash suppressant. If you try to use Power Pistol data with BE-86, you could easily get into some excessive pressures.

I've found that Power Pistol is about half a grain to a full grain slower than BE-86 in most of my magnum revolver cartridges.

They do look very similar, both having the same flake size as Bullseye. This is reflected in the name with BE-86, and also in the OEM name for Power Pistol, which is BE-84.

They are absolutely not the same powder, however.
    Saw that right away when I checked Power Pistol Data... So...Back to starting with Unique Data...No Unforseen issues Yet!!!
    I am quite satisfied with the loads I have copied Grain for Grain with Unique in fact..
    Nitro100NF, on the other hand...Challenging!!!