Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: M-14/M-1A Bearing Grease

Boolit Master

M-14/M-1A Bearing Grease

A buddy is trying to find out what bearing grease is used on the M-14/M-1A .
    I was given a tube long ago in a far away place but can’t put my hands on it right now.
    I was told that it is not anything special, maybe Lubriplate?

Boolit Master
    I have a tub that says, "Grease - Rifle MIL.... Something"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I bought a whole box of surplus Lubripate containers, and still have them around somewhere. It is in the little plastic jars that were part of the M1's in-the-buttstock cleaning kit. Wherever it is presently stored I haven't a clue, but I use white lithium grease mixed with a little W30 motor oil and it looks exactly the same. Put a blob of the grease on something like a can lid and mix in just enough oil to turn it a little off white color. This is exactly what the old AMT Co. recommended as a lube for their Hardballer pistols which were constructed of all the same grade of stainless steel throughout the pistol, and the moving parts of which tended to gall each other. It worked o.k. on their pistols and I found it to work well for most other firearms moving parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007508.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	323969

DG

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    My preference for lubricating any component that requires "grease" is Mil-G-81322D: if it will hold up in a tail rotor shaft bearing spinning 6600rpm for 3 months between some knuckle-dragging private to give the bearing a squirt, in Saudi or Kenai, and not get all hot and run out, I think it will be just fine in the innards that require gun grease on the M14. But that is just my opinion. Just like Brill Creme of old: just a dab'll do ye!
    Tell me how much you want, and I can send you a bit: I onliest have 6# of the stuff.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master

The big trick is to get the thick grease in the roller of the M1a-M14 with out making a big mess. I lubed the rollers on mine with a good grade auto grease. M1 garands recommended was plasti lube for the cam surfaces and lugs. A hi film strength lube. Lubriplate may be on the light side.

I lubed the lugs and roller on the M1a M14 the rest was a very light coat of oil. Gas piston and trigger were dry.

If you clean it once in awhile, anything will work.

Years ago, I snagged a small amount of the wheel bearing grease used on military aircraft.
    I figured if it works on jet fighter axles/bearings that come down from being super cold,
    to hit a runway at over 200 mph,,,, it should do OK on any rifle bolt roller or locking lugs.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    A buddy is trying to find out what bearing grease is used on the M-14/M-1A .
    I was given a tube long ago in a far away place but can’t put my hands on it right now.
    I was told that it is not anything special, maybe Lubriplate?
    I wish not to "recommend", but will share what two fellows who seem to love their M-14s more than their children have suggested the one grease they use for all: Moly-graph, which is most reasonably priced and purveyed in local Harbor Freight stores. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moly-Graph.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	323972 I own no M-14s, but in my Garand I use the grease from Mobil -- their "Mobil 1 synthetic grease". If I recall, the "original grease" is Lubriplate 130a.
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 03-02-2024 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Really should use "military bearing" grease but it's very hard to find in todays "woke" military.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Grease & oil.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 13-27-21 M14 M1A USGI Buttstock Cleaning Kit-M14STCKUS.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	323973
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Nice to know I'm not the only one to repurpose perfectly good old military junk!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If you clean it once in awhile, anything will work.

Years ago, I snagged a small amount of the wheel bearing grease used on military aircraft.
    I figured if it works on jet fighter axles/bearings that come down from being super cold,
    to hit a runway at over 200 mph,,,, it should do OK on any rifle bolt roller or locking lugs.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Nice to know I'm not the only one to repurpose perfectly good old military junk!
    I call it 'surplus'. I used to know a guy in the Squadron's Tire Shop.
    I went in one day to visit, and they'd thrown away a tub of the stuff that still had some around the sides & bottom.
    It's green and stinks, but it's REAL slippery. I've been using that 2-3 ounces on rifle (&M1A) bolts since the early 70s.
    And still have a nice little bit of it left.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

How much do you want? As I stated: I have 6lbs sitting on the shelf...

If you do not mind having a lifetime supply, there are several auctions for Mil-G-81322 on Fleabay at this moment. And the amount that is "excess" to your firearm needs can always be used for, ahem, wheel bearing grease...

An enterprising chap might even repackage it into 2oz. containers and market it as "New and Improved Super-Duper Mil-Spec Firearm Lubricant" at $5 a pop. Get the Red for the "Old School" lube, and the Amber for "Modern 21st Century Synthetic".

Edit: Ah! After re-reading your post, I get your joke (or, maybe it ISN'T a joke after all?). Larry, don't do that to an old man right after he got up from his nap and grabbed an ice cream!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Really should use "military bearing" grease but it's very hard to find in todays "woke" military.....

Boolit Grand Master

If I remember correctly Lubriplate was the original issue grease and per T.O. recommended for the M-14. Lubriplate works as good today as it did back in the 1950's. That being said today's high-tech greases are better for most applications. The roller bearing in the bolt is not a demanding application so any quality grease will work.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

And for getting that slickery stuff into tight places:

Name:	HCAR3785_1024x1024.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	323974

Not a bad idea either.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 15-30-02 Badger Ordnance Bolt Roller Greaser M1A.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	323975
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I have a tub of non-melt, high impact, waterproof synthetic bearing grease. The stuff is blue, sticky, stringy and stays in place. A little on the bolt roller stud, just work it in till it comes out the back. I also use it on the hinge pins on break down shotguns. Super Lube grease and oil works for most other things. Synthetic oil doesn't seem to dry out and gum up as bad the older stuff.

I read that the Lubriplate was developed in WW2 as a water resistant grease. The guys in the jungles were having trouble with grease washing off the M1's. Lubriplate was developed with a water proof base.

Sometimes I tend to over think this stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I read that the Lubriplate was developed in WW2 as a water resistant grease. The guys in the jungles were having trouble with grease washing off the M1's. Lubriplate was developed with a water proof base.
    f.
    I know it's still widely used for boat trailers were the hubs get submerged. Some grades are food safe also.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    https://www.lubriplate.com/Consumer/...name=130Series

Doesn't stink like wheel bearing grease.
    130A is the number in the TMs. I like the AERO version because it doesn't thicken much in cold weather.

Name:	Lubriplate.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	324000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lubriplate.jpg  
    Last edited by K43; 03-01-2024 at 04:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yup
    Modern high temp bearing grease is best, especially on the line or in the south
    When temps rise or the gun warms up, lubriplate and most other grades run and fling
    Red high temp bearing grease stays put
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125