MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWC with no crimp groove

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    another option is to find one of the Lee "collet-type" crimp dies in .357- you can crimp them anywhere.
    Loren
    Works for me!

I can use the Lee collet crimper on .44 magnum loads in a lever-action rifle and crimp boolits on front driving band of a SWC or anywhere on a RNFP to make them cycle in various different makes of lever rifles. Tested several times with completely loaded tube magazines and shot,....no boolit set-back or movement due recoil.

A reduction and work-up of powder charge is needed with a deeper seated boolit, just to be safe!

I also tested with a heavy roll crimp using Lyman dies, and no boolit set back or movement in my lever actions. Other people may have different experience.

Boolit set-back in lever actions IS different than recoil-induced boolit movement in revolvers, but proper neck tension and a good crimp into a cast-alloy boolit driving band should hold up.

I tend to think good neck tension holds the boolit better than the crimp on revolver boolit, but they both work together.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    another option is to find one of the Lee "collet-type" crimp dies in .357- you can crimp them anywhere.
    Loren
    This is what I do. I use the OAL from my manual and crimp where it yields rounds with the correct OAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I agree with post #9 because the front driving band is going to take a lot of abuse as it travels down the throat and transitions into the forcing cone. If this is truly meant for target work, you might not like the result in squeezing or pinching the part of the bullet that aligns with the barrel. I would suggest just roll the case mouth into the lube groove (if cartridge OAL will still clear the front of the cylinder) and seat deep enough to reduce the gap covering the lube groove. This is my method for the Lee 356-120-TC (conventional lube).
    I loaded up a few rounds last night and went to the range with them this morning. I did just what you (and a few others) have suggested and crimped into the top grease groove. It was standard pressure .38 Special stuff so I didn't do a heavy crimp. They worked just fine and were plenty accurate out of a 6.5" Blackhawk.

These are just at 10 yards, as I was trying to find an accurate load, but I'm happy with the results.

Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12