WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suppressor Questions

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I am planning on using plated bullets for most of my suppressor shooting but have not totally given up on cast for some applications in my suppressor.
    I've had good luck with Berry's and Xtreme plateds over the years probably firing >5,000 thru my YHM can. I'm really bummed by the failure of PC here. I looked up high temp PC coating and found this which pretty much says the coating just can't take a lot of heat. I'm sure the combustion of the powder charge is above 400F. That article was specifically about high temp coating.
    https://www.keystonekoating.com/blog...wder-coatings/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc temp.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	324126
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Plated Xtreme 147gr RN and 124gr FN. These have hit rocks. That plating is really tough. Berry's look similar after hitting rocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240304_214436.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	324127
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Great thread !!
    I just recently (finally !) got my cans from a Aug '23 application.
    An Occulus .22 and a Huxwrx .45.
    Both can be taken apart for cleaning.
    The .22 is amazing, hung it on a Ruger 22/45 - I think my PCP rifle is louder. I think the Occulus is known for no FRP.
    I'll also try it on a AR22 and a Ruger Precision Rimfire.
    Haven't shot the .45 yet, It will mostly live on an AR45 acp, but bought a threaded bbl for 1911 for kicks.
    I'll be applying for an SBR stamp for the AR; I figure a 7" bbl, 9 inch can fitting inside the hand guard will be just about perfect.
    I'm hoping I can get PC to work on the 45 - don't want the have "different" ammo for can usage.
    Maybe the low pressure of the 45acp will give me some slack.
    Worst case, take it apart and try a sonic cleaner.
    I'll throw out some updates as the weather gets better.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are mix of opinions and outcomes wrt to shooting cast bullets through a suppressor.

In my case, the only gun that will see a lot of cast bullets is a 9mm carbine. I do not PC and prefer not to go that route. I have no issue with changing lubes and can dedicate a sizer to the "best" lube for shooting suppressed.

I would like to shoot lubed cast bullets (92-2-6 alloy) out of the 9mm carbine. If I need to clean the suppressor on the 9mm every 100 rounds I could live with it but would prefer to go 250 rounds. I will be trying the Magma 147 gr FP mold and it should be sub-sonic.

If there is anyone shooting cast 9mm through a suppressor, I would appreciate knowing:
    Which make and model suppressor you are using?
    How often you clean the unit?
    What lube are you using?

The suppressor for the .223 looks less complicated. After reading the posts, I gather a .30 cal will do a decent job even on the .223. That allows me to put the suppressor on the .308 down the road. I will get a unit that can be disassembled for cleaning, even though it seems that may not necessary. I will not be shooting cast bullets in the .223.

Again, I appreciate the comments and suggestions.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I shoot powder coated boolets through my .30 cal suppressor all the time with no issues at all.

I recently started casting and loading 147 grain 9mm subs to be used in a 16" carbine. The data in the manuals for sub 9mm are for pistol and when I started using that data ( projected velocity were around 900 fps), using them in my carbine they were approaching 1100 fps, just over the subsonic speed. I dummied them down and they are now hearing safe. Forgot to mention that particular can is an Osprey 45.
    Personal opinion here is if you own a 22 pistol you gotta have a can for it, just so cool to go out plinking and not have to wear ear pro.
    I use my Sandman S for 300 BlkOut with a 230 cast and powdercoated bullet, of which I had to tweak that load from when I started shooting Berry's fmj's, the powdercoated bullet shoots faster but after adjusting the load it is just a pop, I have not tried the 300 supersonics without protection as I suspect because of the speed it's not going to be "quiet".
    I did buy the .22 end cap for the Sandman to use on my 556/223 but it is not hearing safe shooting a full power load but I knew that and just wanted to quiet the muzzle report down.

another edit after reading through more posts, not sure if it was mentioned somewhere else , but my Osprey instructions suggest using about a teaspoon of water poured into the can greatly reduces FRP and it does work.
    Last edited by DaleT; 03-07-2024 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dale T, are you using lube or PC? If lube, what type? How often do you need to take the can apart to clean it?

Thanks
    Don Verna

Don, I am using PCed . I have just finished (within the last week or so) working up my load for the 147's and only have about 50 rounds through the Osprey, which does not come apart for cleaning so I can't answer as to that part of your question. One of my loads shot a 5 shot group of about 2" but was just a little bit above subsonic. Dropping my powder charge by .1 ( Lyman 1200 scale) put them below subsonic but also opened my group by almost 2" !
    Hope that helps... some

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123