Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking to buy "Fat" 45/70 Mould

Boolit Buddy

Looking to buy "Fat" 45/70 Mould

Looking for a "Fat" 45/70 bullet mold in the range of .464" - .466" and 385 Gr - 425 Gr. Thanx, Bud

Vendor Sponsor

Several year back I designed this mold as a beast for 45-70. 420g that Miha made for a group buy run. It looks like it's in stock on his website. It runs great in my lever.

Note that I have setup this mold at .462" to cover bores of .457 to .460" I don't think I've ever seen a need for as large as .466.?

Here is the link:

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...-multi-choice/

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Go to Accurate Molds and take a look in their catalogue. There are about 3 pages of .46 cal. bullet designs ranging from 145 grs. to 608 grs. Tom will scale up to your .466"/.468" and for that matter he can scale up or down from other designs as well.

Here is a page in the weight range you are looking at:

https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor

Longbow

Sorry! Just realized this is the Swapin & Sellin forum! I guess you are looking for used then. If you don't find one then try Accurate. As a note, I was looking for a 0.462" mould for an original Marlin 1881 and the only mould I found that large was the MP mould that Lakehouse posted above.
    Last edited by longbow; 02-28-2024 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added note

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys, the reason I am seeking a diameter in the .464" -.466" range is I want to also use it in a Danish 11.7 X 51R Rolling Block. It slugs grooves at .463" and I can size it down a little for my Trapdoor. I am not adverse to buying new, just fishing for something used should there be one out there. Thanx, Bud

Boolit Bub
    I once bought a new Lee 45-405 HB mould and it was smaller than I liked, so I called Lee and they asked me what size I wanted (.462") and said send it back to us. They sent me one that went .462+ ... It's was like they had a stash of oversize moulds somewhere for this. Worth a call, but that was about 10 yrs ago. Great customer service folks was my experience.
    Cheers!
    Jeff P

Boolit Buddy
    A long time ago, I had a trapdoor. Sold it; oops. Anyhow, never did slug the barrel, but a buddy and I shot it off his porch rail at 85 yard pop cans one afternoon. Used the TC maxiball, lubed with (gasp) Ford moly EP, over a load of 3f that left no airspace under the bullet seated flush. Installed a taller front sight blade. Didn't crimp, didn't size the case, didn't clean the gun until was back home. Didn't miss a can for an hour. Maxiballs were pure lead and slugged up to fit. At 250 grains, they don't beat up your shoulder, and seem to be very effective in muzzle loaders with a similar load of black powder. Eastern Kentucky whitetails are not as tough as other areas.

EP