Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: crafting a SIG SAUER P232 SLIDE STOP SPRING

Boolit Grand Master

crafting a SIG SAUER P232 SLIDE STOP SPRING

Last night while disassembling my P232 to clean it, the afore mentioned spring launched into lord only knows where. A search for a replacement has been as ineffectual as my search for the original. So, I am going to have to make a small spring to replace it. Currently, I have a spring made from a paper clip which is working, but I will have to make and temper a replacement.

Any advice on tempering the wire? What kind of wire should I use? I know I'll need a piece ~.025-.035 in diameter. I am toying with using a piece of guitar string, but I'll do what I have to do.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually. I already knew what I had to do, all I had to do was get my 70 year old brain to remember it. For small gauge spring wire, do yourself a favor and order
    https://www.amazon.com/BBYPP-Straigh...ment-Different. 156 pieces of spring wire, ranging from .2 MM to 3 mm. Select the appropriate size and start bending. There is no sense re-inventing the wheel. Making your own spring wire and tempering metal is best left to those who must do so.

I used a piece of .6 MM about 1 1/2 inches long, a drill bit that just fit in the recess where the spring goes, pliers and a small hobby vise. My vice has a small recess in the face of each jaw for holding small, round items I placed the wire so that it straddled the jaws, which were set just enough to allow me to push the drill bit down against the wire between the jaws. This formed a "u"-shaped bend that approximated the diameter of the recess on the frame. Some deft work with a pair of needle nose pliers and a pair of dykes soon had me holding a spring that fit in the recess and closely approximated my previous paperclip, only much more "springy."

I put it in the gun, cycled a few dummy rounds to make sure it worked, and called it good.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info about the spring wire assortment!
    The link doesn’t work!

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer