Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: First casting today

First casting today

Today was my first time, and I think it went well! I used my new Lyman 452424 mould. I started with the temp around 700-725 but the bullets were wrinkly. So I turned it up to about 775 and that seemed to do the trick. I cleaned the mould with brake cleaner, then Dawn detergent with a toothbrush and hot water, then brake cleaner again. I think the first 50 bullets were bad, with wrinkles and other deformities. So I put them back in the pot. I can see how a hot plate would be a good idea to keep the mould hot. So here are some pics, and tell me what you think. Maybe the melt wasn't quite as clean as it should have been? But it seems like they filled out correctly, I hope? I used WW and 2% Tin. Does it look like I cut the sprues too soon, or too late?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0249 copy.jpg   IMG_0254 copy.jpg   IMG_0256 copy.jpg  

They look good. Sprue cuts look like mine and never had a problem with mine. Good Job!!!

Boolit Master

Looks good to me!
    Good sharp corners on the lube lands.
    Way to go.

I think I've come down with a bad case of projectile envy.

Jerry

Boolit Master

They look good to me. Trust me I have shot a lot of ugly boolits for plinking and as foulers, and those are some good looking boolits.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

you did just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Great, thanks everyone! I thought they looked ok, but I wanted a second opinion. I think getting the mould hot enough was my main problem at first. I'm going to get a hot plate.

Moderator Emeritus

Great job! Now your hooked for sure!

Banned

just cast a bit faster and you don't need a hot plate the top of your pot is already at 700*

Yep, looks fine! Now that your mold is clean and producing good boolits, just place it across the pot while heating it up next time and you should only have the first few come out pre-temp. Cast fast, and your mold should heat up quickly.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Congratulations on your first cast. They look real good to me! Makes me want to to some casting myself. Never have enough boolits.

Boolit Master
    After I got done with my first batch I just stood there looking at them, wondering why I dind't start doing this a long time ago...

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    After I got done with my first batch I just stood there looking at them, wondering why I dind't start doing this a long time ago...

Good job!
    Me too! I've been reloading for a few years. And for a few years it's been in the back of my mind to start casting too. I decided to make the leap about three weeks ago, and I'm sure glad I did.

Boolit Mold
    1st time out? you did great! those are some VERY good looking slugs!

Boolit Master

Good looking bullets, now get out there and shoot them !!! Nothing like shooting your own bullets.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator