Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: How happy are you with your Forster Co-Ax press?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Entirely satisfied

29 78.38%
  • Somewhat satisfied

4 10.81%
  • Neutral

3 8.11%
  • Somewhat dissatisfied

1 2.70%
  • Entirely dissatisfied

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forster Co-Ax Satisfaction Poll

Forster Co-Ax Satisfaction Poll

Hello Folks,

I've been following the thread on Forster Co-Ax single-stage presses, but didn't want to hijack it. I'd like to know how you like yours, and if not, why not. Please leave a comment when you vote in the poll. Thank you.

Tom

P.s. The poll closes in 15 days, March 15, 2024

Boolit Mold
    It's the only single stage press I will use.

Boolit Grand Master
    After five decades I have never wanted anything else for rifle reloading.

Best $68 I ever spent
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Had my CO-AX for 20+ years. I do all my precision loading of match and long range ammunition on it, both jacketed and cast.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

My co-ax is great and I'm not likely to ever give it up. Besides loading accurate rifle ammo, I almost always use it for depriming any and all brass I intend to wet pin clean. It almost seems sacrilegious to use a fine machine for such a dirty and routine function, but I do.

However, for someone looking for a "does everything" single stage press there are things it can not do. One that immediately pops into my head is pulling bullets. I use the RCBS collet puller and there is no way that can be done on the co-ax. Nether can it be used for bullet sizing. So another type of single stage press is needed.

edit: I stand corrected. Forster's Universal Bullet Puller is specifically made for the Co-Ax. https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bullet-pullers/
    Last edited by oley55; 02-28-2024 at 12:32 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Mine was $100 back in the day which was what I paid for a RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit. Still got both presses. Rock Chucker does the deprime and heavy crunch work. Co-ax does the match and long range stuff.

Boolit Master
    Love mine. Will say that I don’t use it for priming, that falls to an RCBS universal bench primer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Mine was $100 back in the day which was what I paid for a RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit. Still got both presses. Rock Chucker does the deprime and heavy crunch work. Co-ax does the match and long range stuff.
    I have the same presses and use them the same way.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Same story, rock chucker does the bulk bull work, the co-ax when I want a little extra better ammo, or confidence. All priming on the rcbs bench mounted press. All sizing on Lyman 45's or rcbs. I keep extra dies for the co-ax in match calibers.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hello Folks,

I've been following the thread on Forster Co-Ax single-stage presses, but didn't want to hijack it. I'd like to know how you like yours, and if not, why not. Please leave a comment when you vote in the poll. Thank you.

Tom

P.s. The poll closes in 15 days, March 15, 2024
    I drooled for years to come up with the $$$ to put a Co-ax on my bench, finally getting one just three years ago. The action is awesome to me, and not needing shell holder an added plus. The handle throw seemed long, so I sprung for their optional shorter handle -- which workes quite nicely. I cannot speak for decapping, as I use a Redding Boss press exclusively for this, which I have in garage with other (e.g., pin tumbler) case prep gear. Nor priming, as I do all my priming on an RCBS bench-mounted priming tool. I do feel, overall, it is an outstanding press, and, a good value.
    When I got into .221 Remington Fireball loading/shooting, my paper target results -- compared with those from the two boxes of factory rounds I had purchased (to get brass to reload) were a tad disappointing! The problem (??) was run-out -- which is the main reason I purchased the Co-Ax. However, there was an incredible time delay to receive one at the time, and the MEC Marksman was a suggested alternative. I was told, "Buy it, use it, and if you're not "110%" delighted -- send it back and we'll refund every penny!" I did. The MEC Marksman gives new meaning to smooth, incredible action, and literally made run-out just about disappear.
    At range, I was shooting comparable -- maybe a tad better on a good day -- than the factory had produced. Guess what? I didn't NEED the co-ax; but, I already ordered and paid for it -- so... what do I do? Both are on my bench (along with another Redding, the MEC Marksman, and -- of course -- my Dillon 550B.) For the .221 Fireball and other smaller rifle cartridges I use the MEC; the Co-ax is for the big ones...
    If I was able to rewind the video of life -- I'd just be delighted only with the MEC Marksman...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEC Marksman.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	323931
    geo

I use mine more than my other single stage presses but I still do use others for certain calibers, just so I don't have to convert the co-ax for an odd ball rim size and back for everything else I use it for.

Edit: I rarely use the priming setup on it, prefering faster methods but have used it on brass I had no shell holder for.
    Last edited by jmorris; 03-16-2024 at 11:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    For 30-06 and under it is my press of choice. Shorter stroke is well fitted for handgun rounds.
    For bigger stuff and pulling bullets a RC, Ammo master, or Big Boss is a better choice.
    The new curved linkage plates are an absolute must.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I think it is one of the most powerful press available. Here comes the rebuttals. I use mine to compress bp in for my 45-70.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Most all responses will likley be positive as the Foester is a very good press.

I had this press for a very long time, they are a good press too but not perfect IMO as all presses have some negitives and for me it was the long handle throw and why I sold mine with some reluctance, just was not using it much anymore where I often use the old style cast Rockchuckers haveing three on my bench and for the different dies be it two or three pending what case I'm reloading, no die changes within the same case and, I can load up three cases, go outside and shoot them for group then tweak things where needed.

I never used the Forster primer feed, finding better ways for that, also the die rings that have been hard to come by off and on, and nobody likes changing them from die to die either; also the primer catcher was in my way hitting it with my knee because I like to reload setting down.

I load 45-70, 45-90, 45-60, 50-95 umoung other large cases and that requires jaw changes back and forth from smaller cases so disliked that compared to shell holders on the RC Presss.

As for accurate ammo making; both press brands make equal ammo for me, again, my opinion but proof is in the puddin' on the target. Presses must be used with care not expecting rapid ammo production if wanting tiny groups, and lots go into that process besides what press we are using as reloading benchrest ammo is an art not easily aquired. Hunting ammo is a different story whereby 1 inch or so is just fine.

I have a friend who is 88 now, a retired Boeing Machinist plus old times retired benchrest shooter; Larry loaded and still loads, using an old Pondness-Warren press shooting one hole groups often with his early Rem 700 actions he rebarreled and chambered in 222Rem and 221FB. larry is proof, to me anyway, while quality rifles can shoot better, it is the reloader who makes his gun shoot best while adding; "I had to learn reloading on the Pondness Warren nevering seeing a reason to change"..

Boolit Master
    no doubt the co-ax is a great press; however THE MEC may be a better press.

Boolit Grand Master

Through the years I've owned three co-ax. They are a good press but the claimed neck and bullet run-out superiority is not there. My results are about the same as below.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...ge-shootout/2/

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...e-shootout/15/

https://ultimatereloader.com/wp-cont...ollup-Wide.jpg
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-28-2024 at 09:56 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    I have two that I have used since the 70's I think. They were a lot cheaper back then. Our club had them for cheap. Great press!
    David

I got mine maybe 25 years ago used, a fellow I knew had it on a table at a gun show, and said he'd take $50 for it. I load all my accurate rifle on it, but use a progressive for "plinking" loads. (Never tried to prime on it though!)

Boolit Buddy
    Got mine in the middle 80's and I'll never get rid of it, I've got some progresive ones and for precision I'll go to my Co-Ax, if you see the youtube video of the Marine precision shooting team each gun has it's own ammo made in a Co-Ax.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    I have the Co-Ax and a Lyman O-frame on my bench and use the Co-Ax 90 percent of the time. Dislikes: changing the shell holder jaws for larger BPCR cartridges; shell holder jaws failing to hold onto small-head cartridges sufficiently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast