Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Savage 64 Inquiry

Moderator Emeritus

Savage 64 Inquiry

I have more .22s than anyone might own , but I couldn't stop dwelling on a SAVAGE Model 64 at a sort-of local shop with a $119.99 price tag on it. It's only "defect" that I can see is a prior owner put a 'scope rail on it, and its rear site is missing. Flea-bay has a take-off site for less than $25 USD, so -- this is available. As I have a bunch of .22s , I do not "need it" -- but at that price? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 24.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	323888
    Hence -- as a "next step" I reckoned I'd check with the experienced, knowledgeable folks on this forum? Is this model worth purchasing? As a .22 to just keep behind truck seat -- it'd be worth it to me. BUT, I do not need another problematic.
    Your thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    These go for $139.95 brand new here so that one is way overpriced. The OEM sight is just folded sheet metal and not worth $25.00. Get yourself a Williams WDOS, that's what I have on my Mark II. The 64 seems decent but, other than low price, I don't really see the appeal of it. Not trying to be rude or question your taste in guns by any means, just my honest reaction. My father has one and it's about the most boring, personality-less gun I can think of. Someone told me they are a pain in the keister to detail strip, don't know how true that is. If the price was a c-note or less then it would likely be a good choice for when you don't want to use something expensive like to keep in a truck or tractor. If they won't budge on price I would pass, you don't know what else the previous owner may have buggered up. If you want a really good low cost .22 get a Rossi RS-22, it's a very nice copy of the Marlin 795.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    These go for $139.95 brand new here so that one is way overpriced. The OEM sight is just folded sheet metal and not worth $25.00. Get yourself a Williams WDOS, that's what I have on my Mark II. The 64 seems decent but, other than low price, I don't really see the appeal of it. Not trying to be rude or question your taste in guns by any means, just my honest reaction. My father has one and it's about the most boring, personality-less gun I can think of. Someone told me they are a pain in the keister to detail strip, don't know how true that is. If the price was a c-note or less then it would likely be a good choice for when you don't want to use something expensive like to keep in a truck or tractor. If they won't budge on price I would pass, you don't know what else the previous owner may have buggered up. If you want a really good low cost .22 get a Rossi RS-22, it's a very nice copy of the Marlin 795.
    I cannot thank you enough! Wonderful info, and just what I was looking for. Shop is ~40 miles distance, and I've not seen this arm, other than a few photos shop has listed. And twenty bucks less than new cost for a used, buggered up one? Thanks to you I'll be saving time, gasoline, and money! I had no idea they sell so inexpensively, and I have a "beater" for camp/truck now, so I surely need not a replacement. In my state two "fees" are added to any arm purchase, which I believe are $9.50 and $2.50. Adding in these twelve dollars really makes a less attractive offering.
    THANK YOU again!!!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    You got it! Now, the Savage Mark II is a very nice bolt action .22 and I have two of them. Nice simple design and surprisingly accurate. Only about $200.00 new, I bought two of them like new for $125.00 and $150.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.