Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is interesting

Boolit Grand Master

This is interesting

https://youtu.be/izvdO-zdlKg

An EV for $12k with a range of over 200 miles, 4 wheel disc brakes and cruise control. I cannot buy a UTV for that.

If they come to the US they will need to pass safety standards so the price might be $14k or so. I would seriously consider one as a "disposable" car for running to town/church/visiting friends etc.

The Chinese are going to eat our lunch.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    https://youtu.be/izvdO-zdlKg

An EV for $12k with a range of over 200 miles, 4 wheel disc brakes and cruise control. I cannot buy a UTV for that.

If they come to the US they will need to pass safety standards so the price might be $14k or so. I would seriously consider one as a "disposable" car for running to town/church/visiting friends etc.

The Chinese are going to eat our lunch.
    if you buy one thats helping them eat our lunch

Actually at that price I'd consider buying one for a spring/summer/fall car.

I do not think it would do well overnight in -30 weather. But the way things are who knows when or if we will see those days again.

Even if I had to park it for winter, it could be a good value. Anyone know anything about maintance schedule?
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I am amazed by how often Henry Ford's Model A has been reinvented.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    if you buy one thats helping them eat our lunch
    I thought about that. But I have done it before. Bought 100k of those commie Tula and Wolf primers when they were less than $20/k. I have no regrets.

I am not a fan of Mossin's, SKS's, AK's etc. and never bought any, but it seems a lot of Americans bought them. I wonder why they wanted commie crap when they could have had American made weapons?

BTW, my company took a 6 month strike from the autoworkers union, so I do not have love for the organization.

I am not a fan of EVs but... BYD is looking at building a plant in Mexico. That means cars imported into the US will qualify for the $7500 tax credit. If it comes in at $15k and the Chinese have paid off enough of "our leaders" to maintain the $7500 credit, we have a $7500 car that does not need gas and oil. I will be getting one if that happens. 90% of my driving is trips under 75 miles. Even in Michigan winters, a 200+ mile battery that degrades 35% will be adequate to meet my needs.

You are right. Buying one will help the Chinese. But I do not care that much. Heck, if more people cared, they would not shop at Wally World.

I suspect with Trump in office, the $7500 EV credit will be nixed, and if not, it will be nixed for Chinese EVs. But even at $15k, it is interesting option for a second car that will cost $.03/mile to operate.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Nice but by the time that vehicle passes US standards it’ll be closer to 18K. If reliable it would be great for short excursions. For a lot of us it won’t be able to replace an IC vehicle. True that most of my travels are less than twenty miles each way. But often times I’m driving 100 plus miles each way. I’m better off with one vehicle for all my travels instead of a local and long distance vehicles to insure, plate and park.
    If you look on the internet there are several non-street-legal austere Chinese vehicles available in the $5,000 price range. Shipping to CONUS doubles that figure. Twelve thousand is wishful thinking for something like the vehicle in this link.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I am amazed by how often Henry Ford's Model A has been reinvented.
    Exactly my thoughts. Ford kept it simple and built millions of autos, then he applied the same concept to tractors. There are way too many gadgets on new vehicles, which drives up the price. Too bad we can't get a basic half or three-quarter ton pickup truck with roll up windows, and none of the WIFI crap that everyone wants to sell to the consumer. You can't even find standard shift vehicles much anymore - they are only in specialty vehicles. I saw a 2023 truck advertised the other day for $85K - really???

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Actually at that price I'd consider buying one for a spring/summer/fall car.

I do not think it would do well overnight in -30 weather. But the way things are who knows when or if we will see those days again.

Even if I had to park it for winter, it could be a good value. Anyone know anything about maintance schedule?
    A nagging thought I have vis electric vehicles is two-fold. To wit, do *I* have enough power/amperage (e.g., service entrance -- I have a split 150A SE -- 150A each for house and shop) to ADD charging a vehicle? And, perhaps of greater interest to me is the cost of said vehicle charging. Even with my relatively low mpg Toyota truck, I can easily calculate/plan on petrol costs. On the other hand -- WHAT might be the "light bill", as we used to call it, be with an added vehicle charge added?
    ...just curious...

You CANNOT keep it simple. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT has prevented that thanks to kalifornias EPA push for fuel, and then DOT foe safety. Obviously nothing fuel in the EVs, but lots of safety stuff. Airbags, side door impact front and rear bumpers, and all crash certification. 12k goes to at least 16k probably 18k. Which is still a very cheap car. Figure it'll last 6 years or maybe 100k miles before battery is at half capacity. Mexico...... yep, no import duty, China direct is still 25% (one of the few Trump items that Biden didn't reverse)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    The Chinese do not need to defeat us militarily. They will corrupt our government (as has been shown), infiltrate our universities, and control critical parts of our economy we have abandoned (like drug manufacturing). Most of the stuff we see in Wally World comes from China.

I recently purchased a SSQA plate to make a custom attachment, and it was 1/3 the price of anything made in the USA. The welds were OK but not great. The owner of the shop told me I got a great deal. He did a bit of extra welding for a few dollars. I saved about $300

I don't like what is happening but unless we are prepared to drastically lower our standard of living, the Chinese will not be stopped easily.

If I were to buy something like this, I would not be proud of it, but it would do what I need a second car to do. At 73 I do not need a "chick magnet". $300 year for electricity for 10k miles of running around is cheap. Fuel for 10,000 miles on the F150 costs would be over $1500. If the EV lasts 10 years, I will have saved $12k in fuel, $1000 in oil changes and avoided putting on 100k miles on a $50-60k truck.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

To each their own. I am 100% GM certified in EVs. I will not be owning one anytime soon.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    To each their own. I am 100% GM certified in EVs. I will not be owning one anytime soon.
    Yep. I'm a Toyota T-Ten trained tech and only own gassers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Grand Master

The chinese know that if they undersell long enough the american companies will close and then they can make up the losses. Small shops do this to get their foot in the doors of big companies Bid a few parts low then get on the select supplier list and they are home free. China and the asian nations see this and are working it to their advantage. Once they lower US production to where they cant make what is needed they can start upping prices and also gain control of the country. You need cars,appliances, light bulbs,ect ect, well we need ??????

Boolit Master

Another thing to consider, what is the dealership network going to be like?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    A nagging thought I have vis electric vehicles is two-fold. To wit, do *I* have enough power/amperage (e.g., service entrance -- I have a split 150A SE -- 150A each for house and shop) to ADD charging a vehicle? And, perhaps of greater interest to me is the cost of said vehicle charging. Even with my relatively low mpg Toyota truck, I can easily calculate/plan on petrol costs. On the other hand -- WHAT might be the "light bill", as we used to call it, be with an added vehicle charge added?
    ...just curious...
    George,

EV's like a Tesla use about .3 kWhr/mile. My cost for power is $.133/kWhr. Cost per mile would be $.04/mile. A 30 mpg car with $3.25 gas costs $.108/mile...2.5 times more.

As to power. It will depend on if you use a Level 1 (120 V - wall plug) or Level 2 (240V) charger. A level 1 charger adds about 4 miles of range per hour plugged in. The level 2 about 32 miles per hour. A level 2 charger would draw about 40 amps (same as an electric stove) but that is normally at night when you are not using much power anyway. Below is a home "smart charger" that can control charge rate and the time it operates.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Charger...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
    Last edited by dverna; 02-27-2024 at 12:23 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Between 2013 and 2022 GM sold 1.1 million EV's worldwide
    In 2022, BYD sold 1.6 million plug-in EVs and 1.4 million hybrids.

Maybe BYD has learned things GM and Ford still have to learn.

Birkshire-Hathaway bought 225 million shares of BYD in 2008. They do not hold any GM or Ford stock. Warren Buffet does not make many investment mistakes.
    Don Verna

I don't know it to be fact, but I've read companies have wanted to build shipping hubs using EV trucks. When they requested the necessary power structure the local municipality thought it was either a hoax or a significant mistake. Seems the power required equals enough for a city of 200,000 or so.
    I'm skeptical about such claims. However, until there are significant improvements made in the grid and more importantly a significant increase in power generation capacity the simple fact is switching over to EVs is not possible. Let alone practical.
    Particularly if coal and natural gas fueled plants are going to keep being eliminated by EPA requirements.

Heat waves and cold snaps already result in power failures/blackouts/brown outs. If everyone starts plugging in 2 or 3 vehicles every day .......
    You don't have to be an electrical engineer to see that's simply not possible. Nor will it be for decades.

Boolit Master
    I remember when the Yugo came out for a ridiculously low price lots of people were wanting one thinking that there was no way they could lose. Two years later when they had all broken down with no repair parts available there wasn't much enthusiasm left. I'd be cautious with something so cheap myself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Nice but by the time that vehicle passes US standards it’ll be closer to 18K. If reliable it would be great for short excursions. For a lot of us it won’t be able to replace an IC vehicle. True that most of my travels are less than twenty miles each way. But often times I’m driving 100 plus miles each way. I’m better off with one vehicle for all my travels instead of a local and long distance vehicles to insure, plate and park.
    If you look on the internet there are several non-street-legal austere Chinese vehicles available in the $5,000 price range. Shipping to CONUS doubles that figure. Twelve thousand is wishful thinking for something like the vehicle in this link.
    I disagree. The dealership will sell them for full MSRP plus an additional $5K or so as 'additional dealership profit margin,' or some such crap. Kinda like they do now with extremely popular cars and trucks.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The chinese know that if they undersell long enough the american companies will close and then they can make up the losses. ?
    Years ago, American industry was more or less being strangled by the EPA, US tax laws, favoritism for foreign companies,
    labor laws and labor unions that wanted more money for less work.
    Which translated into stuff being more expensive compared to imports.
    At the time you'd see bumper stickers all over that read, "Buy American, the job you save may be your own".

I encounter people all the time moaning and groaning, crying the blues about the loss of American made products,
    and the jobs that went with them.
    I tell them that the next time they go running down to Harbor Freight or someplace else to load up on cheap Chines junk,
    I tell them to ask their self if they are part of the solution, or part of the problem.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast