Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: over powder card

over powder card

I have a TC .56SB barrel on the way and getting things ready for it. I have some 15 mm thick cards that i made for my 58 SB so was wondering if they are too tight for a .56. I was also wondering if 12 pack beer and pop cardboard is thick enough for over powder and over shot cards? I have some material that is twice as thick but only have limited amounts of that. When its gone its gone. Tonight i made a couple hundered balls out of tow and then mixed 1/3 beeswax and 2/3's Crisco melted in a double boiler dipped each ball in it and let them drain. Thats my take on a fiber wad. I have used them in the past and seem to work. Not sure if its totally necessary but i figure it would help keep the fowling soft and create a cushion for the shot. What do you guys think when it comes to smooth bores shooting shot? I did taxidermy work in the past and used the tow for making bird bodies its a little coarser than some tow i have seen but rolls up into nice little balls. I have alot of it so im trying to put it to use in this shotgun application. Adding the beeswax and crisco i figure it would help with fowling and not catch fire so easy and make a smoldering fire hazard.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

15mm diameter cards is what i ment in my previous post.

Boolit Master
    Shot over powder/Cream of wheat over shot (equal amounts)NO WAD between then a Dura felt wad (lubed or unlubed ) try it /Ed

Boolit Master
    I got some fiber wads from TOW
    I also used 28 ga. Plastic shotgun wads for shooting birdshot , buckshot and some slugs.
    I don’t think those 15 mm wads would be too wide
    They might be a little tight when you start them.
    But lubed they should slide down easily.
    Let me check and see if I still have some lead balls left now that I rebored my .56 SB
    If I have them I will mail them to you.
    I think I used a piece of 1/2” EMT conduit or copper tubing to cut cardboard wads.
    But most of my slug shooting was done with a patched ball.
    I also cut wads out of Fiber board that was 1/4” or 1/2” thick
    You can also use Cork gasket material for wads.
    One thing I never got to try was a Paper Patched REAL .50 cal. heavy slug with an over powder wad.
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-27-2024 at 11:35 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use poster board from Wally World. No need for the fiber. Read the V.M. Starr sticky on muzzleloading shotguns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I had a barrel bored to .62 cal last fall and with the advice of Waksupi I used cornmeal over the powder. My load was 60 grains of 2f goex and directly over the powder went 60 grains of cornmeal and then 80 grains of number 6 shot directly over the cornmeal. I then put a overshot card and seated it pretty tight. I shot squirrels cutting hickory nuts in the top of those trees and they dropped out dead. I would give this combo a try. It loads easy and is simple and very effective. Thanks again to Waksupi........................Curdog

Boolit Buddy
    Just wanted to add that it is a smoothbore renegade barrel.

I will try that method when i get my barrel, should be here end of this week. Should be fun.