WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Wax toilet rings

Boolit Grand Master

Wax toilet rings

Tried to make some ML lube out of wax ring and Crisco. Used half cup wax and 1 cup crisco, melted down and stirred togrther. Looked to be too stiff to me so remelted and added some more Crisco, looked better so tried it out in 50 cal. fffg dupont, this stuff makes nasty hard fouling in the barrel, would get the boolit about 2 in off the powder charge and have to really lean into it to seat. Started running a patched jag between shots, got the jag hung up, it would take a pair of pliers and 2 people to get the patch back. Must be something in the toilet ring that creates this hard fouling, because I've used pure crisco, and bear lard before without this problem.Anyone making their own ML lube?
    Scooter

Banned
    I did a search on wax toilet rings and they all seem to come with this: Toilet Bowl Gaskets
    Crude scale and microcrystalline waxes are formed into rings designed to seal the connection between the toilet base and the drain flange.

Other sites said petroleum waxes.

Most our lubes we made for ourselves ALWAY has beeswax in them, even Felix's great lube. So maybe regular petroleum wax isn't a great base for our lubes, even though some have used it sucessfully.

Joe

If there are petroleum products in the rings, as someone once pointed out, petroleum + burning sulfur = tar.

Banned
    .....and adding the petroleum product sulfur to the blackpowder sulfur adds up to alot.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Wink

Guess that batch of lube is in the toilet, so to speak!

Scooter, Several years ago I had 3 like-new toilet seals available (new floor was put down & toilets temporarily removed) and used them to make Emmert's Lube, which is beeswax, Crisco and Canola oil. As I wrote in another post, I treated the toilet seals as if they were beeswax, being careful not to heat them to the point of smoking, and got a lube that flows through my RCBS Lub-A-Matic with ease. Although I do use it with BP and Pyrodex loads, I do so only in my .45-70, not as a patch or Minie- or Maxi-ball lube. I get none of the hard fouling you spoke of and accuracy, using a blow-tube between shots, is good for up to 15 shots. As a thought, have you ever tried "Moose Milk" as a BP patch lube? The commercial stuff is excellent if you can find it, but if you can't you can easily "brew" your own. The good news is that it doesn't require cooking or toilet seals. ...Maven

Banned
    I wish I would have gotten the name of the product I'm about to tell you about. A good friend of mine is a BP shooter in Ohio. Most the guys had ended up using Thompson Centers Wonderlube, which is excellent stuff. Then my friend Jimmy told me about this stuff that some old feller told him about. The unique thing about this lube was not only was it excellent lube, did all the things that you wanted a lube to do with BP, it also was said to prevent your bore from rusting even if you didn't clean it. Well Jimmy had an old beater BP rifle and he shot the thing with this lube. Then he put the rifle away in his closet for months. I forget the exact number he told me. He finally took the rifle out and the bore looked like the day he had put it in there. Jimmy is one of the nicest and most honest guys I've ever met and he wouldn't tell me a farce. He himself said that he didn't believe this lube could do what was claimed of it. I'll get in touch with him and find out what the lube is. I know in comes in a round flat can like mink oil for waterproofing boots comes in. Anyone heard anything like this?

Joe

swheeler Whats ya shooting out of that thing? PRB or conical? I have not had any luck with toilet rings. At one time they were made out of beeswax but that was decades ago. I do not like to use any petroleum stuff in my BP lube. If you are using a PRB I would not even bother with wax in a lube. Go to the moose milk that Maven talked about
    Now if you be shooting conicals,I might be able to help
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Question

575-shootin' a REAL 320 gr cast from pure lead, 90 grs fffg. The store bought stuff I have in the bag is TC wonder-lube1000, it keeps the fouling soft for several shots. I almost thought I smelled gun-grease when I opened the ring package, should have warned me!
    Maven- I suppose there could be hundreds of formula's for these "wax "rings, some petro based and some not? I think I got the petro based.
    Joe- could it be saddle soap? I've often though Hodgdon's Spit Patch was just saddle soap.
    Scooter

swheeler That is a problem with the REAL and Ashcan minne No real groove for grease. Them boolets will be sticky. Here is somthing that may help. Get some real bees wax,Do a 60 % wax and 40 % oil .[crisco,canola,olive, etc.] Melt wax in a double boiler,I use a old soup can in a old pan of water.When melted add the oil. Then I would pan lube the Reals Get a piece of brass tubing to cut out the boolets.You should be able to make the lube thick enough to not be so sticky/gooey. The reheating /cooling of the mix tends to make it a bit less sticky.
    I do all my minnes and conicals with a lubersizer with custom dies with a homemade lube.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Master

At one time Toilet bowl rings were made out of bees wax not no more now they are made out of some petrolium based wax. So they are not to be used with black powder as they will gunk up your barrel.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Look at it this way: we live with toilets all the time, and there are things we do a lot more often than we shoot. Maybe it is for the best.