Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H&R .22 hornet.... something isn't right

Boolit Master

Just now watched your video, that barrel is scrap.

Chop it back to a 3" stub and put a good barrel into it. The barrel could be turned to a slip fit and attached with Loctite stud lock, epoxy, or solder. Another way would be to thread the stub and have multiple barrels fitted.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I wouldn't waste any money on that barrel to fix it. I would replace it with a good NOS, or used barrel. Just going to cost more than the gun is worth to try to reline, or fix this barrel.
    I usually tell guys to ignore things the bore scope reveals as even good barrels can look ugly under magnification. But this one isn't the normal chatter or machine marks, it's toast.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Depending upon when produced, H&R .22 Hornets in 1970s were produced from reject M16 barrels which didn' t gage up. Measure groove diameter and twist. If 12" twist that is a clue. May be as large as .225 because barrels were culled before chroming bore.
    Outpost75, as I recall, H&R was given a contract by the DoD for 240K M16A1s (along with General Motors Hydramatic Transmission Division, also for 240K) in about 1969 as Colt couldn't deliver enough rifles to meet requirements. The GM rifles were some of the best ever made and H&R had their contract canceled due to ongoing QC issues.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master

I have the H&R .22 Hornet in Mannlicher stock. Bought new in 1977..yeah, its finicky with loads but, it only cost 69.00 bucks.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I would clean it, then clean it, then clean it, then decopper it til ALL gone, then I would scope it again

Then if still ufly, I would firelap the piss outta it very aggressively

Keep scoping and firelapping till every thing is smooth

Then shoot it again for groups

One thing first though

When you chamber a round, do NOT just close it
    You need to slam that puppy closed TIGHT

AND get that silly vipod off for now. It is in the totally wrong spot. Use a bag under the end of the forearm and try again with a bag under the receiver

But you NEED to close that action with authority
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    take off bipod...fill daypack with clothing and rest on that...and STOP HUGGING YOURSELF and put your offhand on the forestock where it is supposed to be....the difference can be very surprising,lots of single shot rifles,and a few levers come to think of it are particular where you rest your off hand.....
    22 hornets are a fickle beast at best of times..keep trying and sooner or later something will click into place.
    look at your end game/use and that will tell you what size grouping is the absolute worst you can live with...

Boolit Master
    the close with authority is same with a bakail they are shockers if action hasnt closed properly,I make sure to pull the lever down if it hasnt dropped completely on its own.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting this. Sorry about your gun. I wish I had a borescope.

My first CF rifle was a Savage 340 22 Hornet. That thing was a tack driver with any and everything I put in it. My 22 Hornet Contender will hit golf balls at 100 yards all day long. So don't blame the caliber.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 03-01-2024 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Horse View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Sorry about your gun. I wish I had a borescope.

My first CF rifle was a Savage 340 22 Hornet. That thing was a tack driver with any and everything I put in it. My 22 Hornet Contender will hit golf balls at 100 yards all day long. So don't blame the caliber.
    Bore scopes listed as "endoscopes" can be found all over Ebay for around $15 each. They plug into your computer, laptop, or phone and work very well. I have two of them and one stays at home, the other I use at gun shows with my phone to examine bores if they're sketchy.
    I use a white patch ahead of mine to get a better image. Just push the patch with the scope, and back the scope up a few inches to examine the bore. They're 5mm so they fit .22 bores fine.
    But be prepared to be shocked by some bores! Barrels that shoot really well often look scary under magnification, so don't let everything you see scare you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    take off bipod...fill daypack with clothing and rest on that...and STOP HUGGING YOURSELF and put your offhand on the forestock where it is supposed to be....the difference can be very surprising,lots of single shot rifles,and a few levers come to think of it are particular where you rest your off hand.....
    22 hornets are a fickle beast at best of times..keep trying and sooner or later something will click into place.
    look at your end game/use and that will tell you what size grouping is the absolute worst you can live with...
    That must be why I could not get my .22 Hornet H&R to shoot well either. I "hug" like Wolf does. He seems to shoot well IMO. I have never seen him flinch and he stays in the gun after the shot.

I will stay with bolt action guns as they seem to like the way I hug them...LOL. My PCP's like to be hugged too! I know springers do like being hugged but will never own another one.

But what you say makes sense. I know others have commented about not resting lever actions directly on bags. I guess the H&R is just as picky.
    Don Verna

For around the same price as a H&R/NEF rifle barrel on Ebay, JES reboring will provide you with a good shooting barrel in the caliber of your choice- provided that your choice begins at .338 caliber.
    The above advice about closing the barrel tight and shooting position is spot on.
    And make sure that the locking surfaces are clean and DRY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup
    Locking piece and shelf need to be clean and dry
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Moderator Emeritus

Another Handi problem was fixed by free floating the forend. Take a small, fairly thick O ring, and put it between the forend and the barrel then torque the screw to 45 inch lbs.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Another Handi problem was fixed by free floating the forend. Take a small, fairly thick O ring, and put it between the forend and the barrel then torque the screw to 45 inch lbs.
    That would be worth trying!
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    When you say hugging are you talking about how I have my non shooting hand under the rifle ? If so I'm not hugging in squeezing my rear bag
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    yes...its jokingly referred to as "hugging yourself" by folks like myself who shoot oldschool with offhand on forstock..... some rifles like to be held differently EG the BLR likes off hand back towards magazine...some henry levers are the same..all to do with pressure on forestock.... what you are doing is based on benchrest doctrine....taken to extreme in a leadsled only your finger touches trigger.... the firearm has free recoil ... for some folks it works well..others not so much.... yo uhave nothing to loose but half a dozen round to try it and see. a sleeping bag in its cover under the stock,with your hand holding stock ontop isnt a bad way to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 1917 Enfield that had a barrel that was probably worse than this one. I used cast boolits that I had rolled between 2 steel plates starting with 200 grit lapping compound. Then I used either 300 or 400 grit, been awhile. While not a tack driver it will shoot 3" to 4" with cast or jacketed at 100 yards with military sights. You can track the progress in the bore with your borescope as you shoot. Try 3 to 5 shots then check.
    Would not cost much to do and worth a try. Even valve lapping compound from an auto parts store will work. Be sure and clean it good when done.

Boolit Master
    leadman...to put that into perspective,3-4" at a hundy was ALL the SMLE .303brits were expected to do from new..that was the spec. anything better than that is exceptional.....I believe the P14 which is a mauser type action did/could do, better but dont quote me on that one.

Boolit Grand Master

Milky Duck, the P14 and the 1917 are the same action but the P14 is in 303, 1917 is in 30-06. Not Mauser actions.
    I do agree the 303 was normally as accurate as you stated. The US copy of the Mauser, the 1903 and 1903a3 were normally very accurate.
    The H&R was not normally the most accurate but if the one in question here was mine I would spend the little bit it would cost to fire lap the barrel. If it doesn't work little has been lost and the OP can do whatever he feels is right for him.
    Used Savage 110s and Axis rifles can be bought fairly cheap if a person looks around. I recently bought a 110 in 270 win for $200 and an Axis ii for $300 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Boolit Master
    sorry my bad...front locking,not mauser lol.... VS the rear locking lee enfields.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast