Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Where to find a 50 cal 1x36" octagonal barrel

Where to find a 50 cal 1x36" octagonal barrel

I know there is this thing called the internet, but wanted to try the old fashioned way.
    I'm looking for an octagonal barrel, 50 caliber, about 30", 1x36" twist, for my Remington No. 1 Sporting rifle.
    I'm recreating George Custer's rifle he carried into the Little Bighorn.
    His was 28", 50-70.

Boolit Master
    Have you watched Larry Potter Field's series on the same project? Very enjoyable - try Lilija barrels online.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Green Mountain, Pac Nor, krieger, douglas, Shilen, Mc Gowen are all barrel makers to check. Also buffalo arms Montana Vintage Arms and track of the wolf carry some blanks.

DO you want a straight octagon or tapered octagon.

I doubt youll find a screw in or drop in blank. A contoured blank that will need threaded and timed will be more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Have you watched Larry Potter Field's series on the same project? Very enjoyable - try Lilija barrels online.

His videos are where I got the idea. Wanted a RB for decades. Never thought I'd own a Sporting model.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by YippyKiYay View Post
    His videos are where I got the idea. Wanted a RB for decades. Never thought I'd own a Sporting model.
    I am REALLY looking forward to hearing about your progress!!

Btw, there's a sporting model no 1 online for sale, built by Ed Webber of Big Timber. I poached about a dozen pics to help with stock building.

Does anyone know when Remington went from the roller mounted extractor to the spring mounted one at 9 o'clock?

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Green Mountain, Pac Nor, krieger, douglas, Shilen, Mc Gowen are all barrel makers to check. Also buffalo arms Montana Vintage Arms and track of the wolf carry some blanks.

DO you want a straight octagon or tapered octagon.

I doubt youll find a screw in or drop in blank. A contoured blank that will need threaded and timed will be more likely.
    Thanks for the info on barrels, was hoping to find a preference. Shilen doesn't make a barrel over .458". I'm positive I won't find a drop in barrel. I think my Atlas 12"X 36" will handle most. My friend the gunsmith of 50 years, will do the heavy lifting when I get in to deep.
    Last edited by YippyKiYay; 02-28-2024 at 03:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

For my match rifles it was Krieger Obermeyer and Hart in that order. Kriegers are cut rifled so you may have a better chance there. For sporting rifles Lilja, pac nor, mcgowen, shilen, douglas, These are all button rifled so a change from whats offered would require a new button to be ground.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Search Xcaliber, ask what they could do for you. I've inspected their barrels, pretty nice.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    You always have the option if you find a used barrel that say is only .45 , to send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it bored to .50 with the Twist or the type of rifling you want like deeper rifling. , or shallow rifling.
    You also have the option to have a 1” x 36” barrel Re Lined to the caliber and twist you want.
    I am sure you can find used barrels to have reworked because they are not the perfect set up that you want.
    Or heck
    Just have your current barrel Re-Worked
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-28-2024 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    You always have the option if you find a used barrel that say is only .45 , to send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it bored to .50 with the Twist or the type of rifling you want like deeper rifling. , or shallow rifling.
    You also have the option to have a 1” x 36” barrel Re Lined to the caliber and twist you want.
    I am sure you can find used barrels to have reworked because they are not the perfect set up that you want.
    Or heck
    Just have your current barrel Re-Worked
    My current barrel is Green Mountain 54 muzzleloader barrel. Someone was gonna turn the Sporting Model into an inline muzzleloader.
    I talked to Bobby, he said he can line it to 50, but omg it's heavy now, I can't imagine after it gets a 50 cal liner inside it.

Boolit Master
    The barrels Hoyt lined for me do not seem to be heavier.
    What makes them heavier ?
    Yes, if you refine a .54 down to .36 , that will be heavier than the .54 was.
    But not heavier than a .36 that is the same length and diameter metal from a factory.

Boolit Master

Try Jim Carpenter 208-582-2091. He bought Orion barrel company about 20 years ago and make good barrels at a decent price.

I guess relining it wouldn't make it heavier, but being it's a 54 it's larger across the flats than a 50 and is plenty heavy. I talked to Mr Hoyt, but talked myself out of it.

I have a couple Orion muzzleloader barrels. They are held in high esteem by my mentor. I'll definitely call them. Thanks so much.

Boolit Buddy
    A bit off topic, but after seeing this guy’s work I sure gained an appreciation for rolling block sporting rifles.
    https://hardcastlecustommachine.com/index.php/gallery/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by YippyKiYay View Post
    Does anyone know when Remington went from the roller mounted extractor to the spring mounted one at 9 o'clock?
    The 1897 had the sliding extractor and the 1902 had the rolling extractor, both #5 actions.