Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Stumbling and bumbling along... and what great guys visit this site

Boolit Buddy

Stumbling and bumbling along... and what great guys visit this site

I am not afraid to take on most anything, even though I am frequently not quite sure of the details on how to proceed. I'm also pretty particular about doing it right. If I'm a little stuck or unsure how best to proceed I reach out here for advice and others weigh in with their experience and tips. I'm a rasp, file, block sanding and hacksaw guy, but five minute walk from my front door is a shotgun smith who has a lathe and milling machine. My kids refer to him as my friend you always fight with. Both of us get a big kick out of that, we both consider our discussions to be making sure we have come to a consensus before proceeding to remove metal.

Back to the reason I am posting this, it sure is nice to get advice from others who are willing to share their "this worked for me" and "don't do this" experiences.

I'm good on the rough stuff and rough on the good stuff.
    I can do most anything, but not up to my expectations. I have learned by doing, but in a lot of cases not the best way.
    I don't have anyone to go to for help with machine work.
    One of the biggest problems is getting a hole drilled exactly where I want it.
    I usually figer out the best way after I have already messed up something, but I have fun doing it.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Mac, you have just hit on why it is that 99% of those crazy folk (and, I admit, I am amongst that crowd!) that build their own airplanes generally have built it twice to get the end result that is close to what they had envisioned.
    One thing I have learned: "Perfection is the enemy of Good Enough".

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    One of the biggest problems is getting a hole drilled exactly where I want it.
    I usually figer out the best way after I have already messed up something, but I have fun doing it.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two lathes and a vertical mill in my home workshop, so it no problem for me to advance on my projects. I am not so convinced of my own skill set that I won't ask for guidance when needed. Machinerys Handbook is an actual treasure trove for me, among other books.
    Cast Boolits has been a great resource for all things lead. Just reading it has answered a ton of questions for me. I have reached out on the forum for information and received it in quick time. CB has really upped my casting skills.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

I actually have four lathes, the first I built from pouring aluminum castings and a lot of hand scraping.
    The second is a 9x20 Harbor Freight that I modified to do reverse threads.
    The third is an old South Bend 9" with a long bed that kind of fell into my lap.
    The Fourth is an old Atlas/Craftsman that I didn't really want, but it also fell in my lap.
    The one that gets the most use is the South Bend.
    I also have a drill/Mill by Harbor Freight, more of a drill press with an X/Y table than a mill, but I did use it successfully to build a .50 BMG rifle along with the South Bend.
    I also have a Precision Mathews PM-25MV
    I have all this and a bunch of other things in my basement so I can mess with it all year round.
    My biggest problem is I'm too much of a pack rat.