MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a believer

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a believer

I just bought a new Smith m57 in 41 mag
    I have done a ton of searches on this caliber and keep hearing how accurate and managable it is when compared to the 44 magnum. From my personal experience I can attest all that is true, for me anyway. Just today I was out at the range banging steel at 50 yards consistantly(iron sights) and that never happened with any of the 44 mags I have owned. Got my mold yesterday from Tom @ Accurate and started casting boolits didn't have time to powder coat so I did it the old fashioned way, size and lube. That is another wow factor no leading in the barrel at all looks like I was shooting powder coated boolits that never happened with any 44 or 45 cal I owned, just another plus. I can see why some are so attached to the middle caliber, it works and works well. I should have came around a lot sooner.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Cool.

I seem to remember the .41 being marketed to Law Enforcement types that wanted something more than the .357,
    but not be quite as heavy as the .44. But it just never seemed to take off.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Evan Marshall is a big believer in the .41 if I remember correctly. I have never tried one, good that you got one that works well!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Blackhawk and a contender in .41 mag. Like them a lot.

Boolit Buddy

I have two Blackhawks in 41 mag. Love them. A New Model 4 5/8" and an Old model 6.5". Been keeping an eye open for an early model S&W 57 at a decent price.

Boolit Mold
    I'm with you Bloodhound, would love a vintage S&W 57. Boy are they pricey these days!!

Boolit Master

The .41 Magnum is one of my all-time favorite revolvers. The other being the .45acp revolver and 1911's. My 57 will do anything I am capable of doing. The Model 58 failed mostly because it came in the big old smith N frame, which is not light by any stretch of the imagination. Most police officers found it heavy to carry and women coming into police work found the recoil too heavy. I would like to have a Model 58 but the price these days is just out of my reach. I should have bought one years ago when they were affordable. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    I never had a 41 or a 44 mag but unless you shoot really heavy bullets in the 44 it does not seem to have a performance advantage judging from the loading data I have. One advantage of the 44 is that you have more choices of factory ammo and you can shoot .44 Russian and .44 Special. I don't know if the mid power 41 mag factory ammo is still available. 410 vs. 429 not a lot of difference really kind of like the difference between 30-06 cal and 8 x 57 mm, 308 vs 323 in these cases the gun makes a bigger difference than the cartridge.

If you got a nice mdl 27 excellent but I don't really see how it is that different than a mdl 29. I am thinking it might sort of be the luck of the draw. Your bullets are a good match for the throats and bore and the gun as no thread choke or other malady. Did you even slug the bore or measure the throats. How did you decide what diameter to size your bullets. Nothing wrong with being lucky

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

white eagle, in my opinion, you made a great choice. I got my first .41 mag in 1970. A Ruger Black Hawk old model. Christmas gift from mom and dad. Shortly followed by a Lynan 41032 mold. I didn't know then that was the only mold I would ever need. With 8 to 10 grains of Unique, it will do everything. Really accurate and hard hitting. But of course I had to have every 41 mould I could get my hands on. None of them shot bad. The .41 is the most naturally accurate caliber I have ever shot. I got a model 57 in 1978. Took it to Alaska twice. Got a bull caribou at 173 yards with a 210 Sierra and a case full of 296. Desert Eagle in .41 mag joined me in 1987. Model 58 came along about four years ago. Love them all. I've had a lot of handguns in my life, but my favorites have always been .41 magnums.

Boolit Master

Great cartridge.
    I have a 1972 model 57 and a Ruger SBH Hunter. Great revolvers.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I never had a 41 or a 44 mag but unless you shoot really heavy bullets in the 44 it does not seem to have a performance advantage judging from the loading data I have. One advantage of the 44 is that you have more choices of factory ammo and you can shoot .44 Russian and .44 Special. I don't know if the mid power 41 mag factory ammo is still available. 410 vs. 429 not a lot of difference really kind of like the difference between 30-06 cal and 8 x 57 mm, 308 vs 323 in these cases the gun makes a bigger difference than the cartridge.

If you got a nice mdl 27 excellent but I don't really see how it is that different than a mdl 29. I am thinking it might sort of be the luck of the draw. Your bullets are a good match for the throats and bore and the gun as no thread choke or other malady. Did you even slug the bore or measure the throats. How did you decide what diameter to size your bullets. Nothing wrong with being lucky

Tim
    you said yourself you have had neither but seem to lean towards the 44 a good caliber by all rite
    nope didn't slug anything put my trust in the company doing things rite, which they did apparently
    seems like there isn't all that messing around needed when you do things rite
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool.

I seem to remember the .41 being marketed to Law Enforcement types that wanted something more than the .357,
    Bill Jordan was its champion of the .41 for law enforcement application and worked directly with Smith and Wesson to bring about the revolver as he envisioned it.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    you said yourself you have had neither but seem to lean towards the 44 a good caliber by all rite
    nope didn't slug anything put my trust in the company doing things rite, which they did apparently
    seems like there isn't all that messing around needed when you do things rite
    Nope not interested in a 44 mag. nor a 41. They don't seem different enough to matter. A MDL 27 or a MDL 29 same gun different chamber and bore. I don't lean to the 44 I was just mentioning pros and cons.

Luck of the draw I would say. Not every revolver from S&W is made right.

Glad you got lucky, good shooting.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    (Sigh)

Another innocent shooter is lured into The Cult.

Next it’ll be 16-gauge shotguns.

Boolit Buddy
    White Eagle now you need to find yourself a nice Henry lever gun in 41 magnum to go with your model 57.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool.

Ed, you are right....the 41 was hailed as being almost as powerful as the 44 but not as hard to shoot. I carried both at different times and found that I really could not tell the difference between recoil and power. I stayed with the 44 as the selection of bullets was better. Back in the day the only HP bullets were jacketed and the police load was a lead load SW. I found that the CCI 200 grain Law Enforcement load was truly accurate and very controllable.

Back to the thread....my 57 was extremely accurate and a great gun and I am proud for your research and acquiring a fine ole Model 57.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    The San Antonio, Texas PD issued the model 58 in .41 mag at one time, but they did not stay in service for very long. I'm going on memory but believe they were adopted in late 60's, early 70's but were pulled out of use within a few years. It's not uncommon to see 58's marked with San Antonio Police Department stamps.

I've owned both and all the comments are true - but the 44 has an edge in that components and factory ammo are easier to find.

Groo here
    Am a big fan but don't shoot them much now.
    Started with a SBH for dad and deer, then a short barrel , an m-58 came next , really hooked now, A 3 inch 657 , and lastly a pair of custom SS new vaqueros.
    OOP's Have three Marlins 2 SS.
    Never found one that did not shoot well and the customs shoot "lights out"

Boolit Grand Master
    Back up to the range and at the 100 yard bench I had the most hits on a 8" steel than I ever had with any of the 44's I owned, and there have been many
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Hi..
    I own and regularly shoot four .41Magnum revolvers.

I have two BlackHawks, a new model and an old model, a S&W 57 and a Dan Wesson.
    Probably my favorite handgun caliber...I would have more if I could stumble across one at the right time and the right price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast