MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP Molds vs. Lee That much difference for the little money spent???

Boolit Master
    Yeah, MP molds are worth every penny of the difference in cost.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never buy another Lee mold. I have bought several Lee 6-Cav molds since I got my first MP mold around 10-12 years ago. But is Lee the first mold I go looking at? Absolutely not. If I had a choice to buy a 6-cav from Lee for $60 or an 8-Cav MP for $70+shipping (typically about $25 by itself) I'm going to buy the MP every single time.

Matter of fact, I just purchased an MP Mold the other day, and received it yesterday. Literally took 3 days to get from Eastern Europe to my front door.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub
    I bought the 8 cavity, 147 grain mold from MP. WOW, is my opinion. 9mm mold by the way. Won’t hesitate to buy more. Harles

I just ordered an MP 452-200, four cavity in brass plus some of their handles. This mold is supposed to be the HG #68 which some say is a dandy 45 ACP bullet and a top punch is included.

Boolit Master

If you're concerned about the quality of the output you're getting, then that's probably your answer right there - order the MP.

Sure they're just .38 wadcutters that most people are going to just plink with, and no one will ever know or care that one empty dog food can was hit dead center, and the next was 3/4" off. But some guys are going to load that same wadcutter to compete for fortune and glory. The effort to make them will be about the same, and NOBODY EVER uttered the phrase "My revolver is just too damned accurate". At the point getting higher level performance at the range requires sorting your bullets by weight and diameter - or lay awake at night thinking your should - you have to start factoring in what your time is worth, and a slightly cheaper mold becomes a false economy. If it's a minimal difference in cost to get a tool that with some care will outlast you and give that good output, vs. one that won't and you might wear out, it's a no-brainer to me. I have two brass MP .455 Webley hollow-base molds and remain stunned at what I got for what little I paid.

Lee's equipment holds an interesting place in my head. I will curse the primer "non-feeding" device of Lee Pro 1000 progressive press until the day I die; their carbide pistol dies for .38 S&W and .455 Webley saved me paying the "rare and unusual caliber" premium of other brands and make ammo as good as any; their case trimmers and FCD's perform good service for many; lots of us learned to load good ammo on the Whack-A-Mole Lee Loader; their two-cavity bullet molds seem like something that would dissolve in a gentle rain; their single stage presses work. They get people in the game and I have a lot of respect for that, but the quality has to be judged by category.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I'll never buy another MP mold. He stuck a bunch of us on here with dud molds and refused to make it right with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Man View Post
    I just ordered an MP 452-200, four cavity in brass plus some of their handles. This mold is supposed to be the HG #68 which some say is a dandy 45 ACP bullet and a top punch is included.
    It IS a dandy in the 45 ACP. Many a bullseye shooter swear by the design. Armadillo don't care for it though...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I'll never buy another MP mold. He stuck a bunch of us on here with dud molds and refused to make it right with us.
    Did I miss something? Is there a thread discussing this? I'd like to read through it if so. I've never known Mihec to do anything of the sort, but if you say so I wouldn't mind reading through the discussion about it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have mostly Lee aluminum molds. However, I really like the brass ones I have from MP.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a number of Lee 6 cavity molds and they work good enough for handguns. I do size all of the bullets since every now and then one is oversized and takes a lot more effort to push thru but that is probably operator error. Lee dies do need some tweaking right out of the box though. I always take off the sprue plate and lightly chamfer the front edge of the plate where it passes over the block. Just look at an old die where the semicircles are scored where the sharp edge is dragging and round those places the most. They also need some anti seize under the plate where it pivots or the aluminum gets badly scored after a lot of use.

Boolit Master

Fedex just handed me the MP mould. I use just about everyone's mould.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A68DA3E3-7EB0-4EF2-907C-8981B1CA8FD7.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	324209

Boolit Buddy
    I'm curious as well...Anything to back up your statement? It's been over a month, I'm sure that by now you could have found the forum post discussing this.

Boolit Buddy
    dverna... I used to shoot High Power Rifle competition at Cadillac Sportsman's Club. Our paths may have crossed. I was extremely anal about my loading techniques and the components that I used. 25 years later, I'm just getting back into shooting. (side note: during the housing crisis and economy collapse in 2009-2010 we lost everything: cars, company vehicle, company, house: EVERYTHING). I'm just now getting back into shooting and reloading. That attention to detail when fabricating loads for 600 yard shooting is still ingrained in my head from my Uncle, who taught me to shoot and whose competion rifle I now own. It's capable of 17 10s and X's at 600 yards. I've done it.

So having said all of this: now you might understand my concerns regarding the consistancy of the drops on my simple wad cutter mold. My brass and bullets for 600 yards were all segregated by weight. Consistancy is important to me.

As and aside: I'm a field service technician. Years ago (I'm currently 67) during a class a null voltage was 4.6 to 5.4 volts. The instructor commented that my adjustments were always dead nuts in center of the specs. YUP! I try to be as exact as I can be was my response).

Boolit Master

The MP 357, 135 RN works good.

Name:	AF78D163-E6FC-4FEF-9A0D-90986281480F.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	324780

Name:	C064F5F7-BD7B-41E9-9B52-176C80854C4D.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	324781

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Did I miss something? Is there a thread discussing this? I'd like to read through it if so. I've never known Mihec to do anything of the sort, but if you say so I wouldn't mind reading through the discussion about it.
    Here you go.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Marlin/page13

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I’ll take a look.

Boolit Master
    So I skimmed through that thread, and while I do agree he left you guys hanging, there are a couple of observations I had.

First, it looks like there were questions about what the specs of the design were. It's totally possible that whoever designed that particular mold requested a shank with a +/- tolerance that left you on the high end with an essentially unusable mold. Uncommon, but it does happen from time to time. And in that case, seems like the blame should be on whoever designed it.

Second, I don't think you mentioned this in the thread, but what alloy are you using? MP molds are designed tolerance wise to use specifically with straight WW alloy. So if you're using a mix that adds Sn (+1% or +2%), you're obviously going to end up with a larger diameter than what the mold was specified to cast at. I have this problem with several of my molds, as I use 50/50+2%. I have a 358429 mold that drops at .364" with my alloy, and has to be sized down in two steps, otherwise it is basically unusable for me.

Another way of looking at it could be that the mold was both on the larger end of tolerance, and the alloy is one that would naturally cast larger. That's just speculation, this is your mold and not mine. And I do not wish to minimize your experience. I'm just offering up possible explanations...

Now, that obviously doesn't excuse the fact that he fat-chick'd you, and never responded to your inquiries. But, I don't necessarily think he did that with malintent. I myself have reached out to him back last year to inquire about a design and I still haven't receive a response. And to note, I had the same experience with NOE, Arsenal, and Accurate. I didn't get a response from any of them. These inquiries were about a design I am interested in bringing forth - one that there is no analog of at this time... So with that said, in my own experience I chalked this up to the makers being too busy running the machines to respond. Not an excuse from a customer service standpoint. Just my own observations.

Either way, I can say this, what happened to you guys is unfortunate. But I don't think it is a good representation for the vast majority of people who have purchased molds from Mihec. He came into this scene when we were getting MUCH MUCH worse service from Lee than you received on your end. We'd get molds from them that were literally egg shaped, wouldn't cast to size, were sometimes not cut level in the blocks, etc, etc. When he and Al got started offering molds, it was a shocking experience at the quality of the molds and the bullets they produced for the price. I'm not saying you guy's didn't get burned, you did. But I will say that in the nearly 15 years that the guy has been doing this, that is the very first example I have heard of. And definitely isn't the norm....

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I own Lee and I own MP Molds. Lee molds are like Lee Reloading equipment. Lee Products are for the "budget-minded" reloader and caster. They work. For the money, you cannot beat a Lee 6-Cavity mold. I've learned that you have to tinker with the Lee 6 Cavity mold. Since I first casted using Lee molds, you have to make sure the mold is hot enough and the cavities are smoked. You have to make sure the pins are oiled so the mold pieces line up; otherwise the cast bullets will be out-of-round. Using a more consistent alloy helps. I only use JHP core from range scrap for my 38-148. And to make the weight more consistent, I twirl swirl my lead onto the sprue plate and into the cavity. A hot plate helps too. Last, you need to size your bullets anyway. My MP molds are a class apart from a Lee. It's like comparing a Lee press to a Redding. First, they look beautiful when you first receive them. I use 2-cavity molds because I can buy more variety of molds and the cavities will cast more consistent bullets. For my Lee, I have 2-3 different weight groups.
    I agree with you here...there is no comparison between Lee and MP molds. MP molds are the very best of the best. I also have molds from Tom at Accurate Molds, his molds are top notch, NOE are also good but a little down in the order......Lee right at the bottom, you get what you pay for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    So I skimmed through that thread, and while I do agree he left you guys hanging, there are a couple of observations I had.

First, it looks like there were questions about what the specs of the design were. It's totally possible that whoever designed that particular mold requested a shank with a +/- tolerance that left you on the high end with an essentially unusable mold. Uncommon, but it does happen from time to time. And in that case, seems like the blame should be on whoever designed it.

Second, I don't think you mentioned this in the thread, but what alloy are you using? MP molds are designed tolerance wise to use specifically with straight WW alloy. So if you're using a mix that adds Sn (+1% or +2%), you're obviously going to end up with a larger diameter than what the mold was specified to cast at. I have this problem with several of my molds, as I use 50/50+2%. I have a 358429 mold that drops at .364" with my alloy, and has to be sized down in two steps, otherwise it is basically unusable for me.

Another way of looking at it could be that the mold was both on the larger end of tolerance, and the alloy is one that would naturally cast larger. That's just speculation, this is your mold and not mine. And I do not wish to minimize your experience. I'm just offering up possible explanations...

Now, that obviously doesn't excuse the fact that he fat-chick'd you, and never responded to your inquiries. But, I don't necessarily think he did that with malintent. I myself have reached out to him back last year to inquire about a design and I still haven't receive a response. And to note, I had the same experience with NOE, Arsenal, and Accurate. I didn't get a response from any of them. These inquiries were about a design I am interested in bringing forth - one that there is no analog of at this time... So with that said, in my own experience I chalked this up to the makers being too busy running the machines to respond. Not an excuse from a customer service standpoint. Just my own observations.

Either way, I can say this, what happened to you guys is unfortunate. But I don't think it is a good representation for the vast majority of people who have purchased molds from Mihec. He came into this scene when we were getting MUCH MUCH worse service from Lee than you received on your end. We'd get molds from them that were literally egg shaped, wouldn't cast to size, were sometimes not cut level in the blocks, etc, etc. When he and Al got started offering molds, it was a shocking experience at the quality of the molds and the bullets they produced for the price. I'm not saying you guy's didn't get burned, you did. But I will say that in the nearly 15 years that the guy has been doing this, that is the very first example I have heard of. And definitely isn't the norm....
    The only reason I jumped in on this group buy is it was a Glenn Larson design. Way back when we were doing Lee group buys Glenn designed some that I was in on and they are excellent shooters so I sent the honcho a pm about dimensions then I jumped in. I didn't need another 44 caL as I have between 30-35 of them some of them from MP. After we received the molds the complaints began to pop up so I cast a few and sure enough mine was like the rest. I wasn't real concerned as I thought he and the honcho would make it right with us. There were a lot of pm's between us guys about the dud molds. They were all casting the same right down to the thousanth. All We ever wanted is to return the blocks to the honcho and have then replaced. I'm still willing to return the blocks at my expense to the honcho and receive something that is usable even if it is another mold design. I don't think that is unreasonable. I was in on the 7mm Thor group buy which turned into a real nightmare for the honcho and ballisticast but they squared it away with me. I'm not sure why the honcho and Miha made the decision to just plain shaft us guys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I use Lee Six cavity and MP eight cavity, they both work good. Never measured the bullets from each cavity because I only shoot revolvers out to 50 yards, so I never need 1000 yard rifle accuracy.
    I think this pretty much nails it. MP are DEFINITELY better. Lee is fine. The sad truth is, a LEE will shoot better than 99.9% of us are capable of shooting, so they get away with their lower apparent quality. And I'm a pretty good shot.

As for how MP can afford to do it so well for so little, I'm in the dark there. But happy!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12