Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Pin gauges for 44 Mag (sizes)

Boolit Master

Pin gauges for 44 Mag (sizes)

Going to look for a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.
    What size pin guages would I need to check throat sizes and for barrel choke.
    I don't have any, so just want to order the sizes I would need.
    Thanks
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    I use pin gauges when I'm zeroing in barrel blanks in the lathe. Instead of ordering a whole set, I just order the individual sizes that I need. I can order gauges in .0005" increments here that don't cost too much: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pi...o-plug-gauges/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I use pin gauges when I'm zeroing in barrel blanks in the lathe. Instead of ordering a whole set, I just order the individual sizes that I need. I can order gauges in .0005" increments here that don't cost too much: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pi...o-plug-gauges/
    Thanks,
    That's where I got my last ones for the 45 colt.
    Do you know the sizes I would need for 44 mag?
    Failure is not an Option

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Thanks,
    That's where I got my last ones for the 45 colt.
    Do you know the sizes I would need for 44 mag?
    You only need one, the right one, but the range of likely size could be 0.429" to 0.433"

I just had Ruger fix a Black Hawk that was about 0.006" over sized so that range would not be great enough work. However, if that range does not fit, you would not want to buy the revolver anyway.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    You only need one, the right one, but the range of likely size could be 0.429" to 0.433"

I just had Ruger fix a Black Hawk that was about 0.006" over sized so that range would not be great enough work. However, if that range does not fit, you would not want to buy the revolver anyway.
    wow! you had throats .006 over ??

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    wow! you had throats .006 over ??
    If you want to call it that. Maybe I over stated it by 0.001"

Some of the chambers passed 0.457" and others 0.456". Ruger returned the repaired revolver and I pined them at pass 0.451" (a loose 0.451") and felt like it would take a 0.452" but I knew better than getting the pin stuck. So, maybe it is fair to say they are now 0.451"+.

The revolver shoots soooo much better now.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    If you want to call it that. Maybe I over stated it by 0.001"

Some of the chambers passed 0.457" and others 0.456". Ruger returned the repaired revolver and I pined them at pass 0.451" (a loose 0.451") and felt like it would take a 0.452" but I knew better than getting the pin stuck. So, maybe it is fair to say they are now 0.451"+.

The revolver shoots soooo much better now.
    You cast within .0005 or so ?

Vendor Sponsor

I cast what ever the mold and alloy produce. When I order custom single cavity molds, I hope to get to the 0.001" requested.
    I measure round holes with gauge pins, ZZ every thousandths. I do not have pins for the 0.0005".
    If I wrote a confusing reply, I hope that clears it up.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    I'm sorry my head is on my throats within .0005 for my cylinder on the Redhawk. LOL

I meant you fill your throats out and your groove is slightly smaller?

Vendor Sponsor

Start with .428" .4285" .429" .4295" .430" .4305" .4315" .432" .4325" and end with .433" this will cover pretty much all of your 44mag cylinders.

If you want to pin out 44-40 throats, start at .424" .4245" .425" .4255" .426" .4265" .427" .4275"

In addition to throat diameters on the 44-40 cylinder, equally if not more important is neck diameter. .445" is typical Ruger. You will want to know the exact neck diameter, subtract 2x case thickness and you are left with the maximum diameter boolit that will chamber when assembled into a loaded round. .445" - .014" (2x .007") = .431" Throats should be .4315"

18 pins, can order these as singles from Meyer, ZZ minus class is what you want, that's -.0002" below the laser marked diameter. Any finer increment like -.0001" under the pin will be so close to actual diameter it would be very hard to use, very difficult to get it to go in the throat so it makes you think the throat is tighter than the laser marked diameter on the pin.

For thread choke you don't want a hardened steel pin going down the bore! if the bore changes minutely it may get stuck and become galled which would be the death march for that barrel. Use a plastic cleaning jag on a cleaning rod, tightly patch 2 squares of paper towel over the jag and push it steadily down the bore. If it changes resistance as it travels, that is a change in bore diameter. if you don't sense any change and the jag continues and exits the forcing cone, there is NO choke. If it gets a slight resistance, that's a mild choke. If it stops and you dang near destroy the cleaning rod trying to beat it through, that is SEVERE choke, we are talking about .003" below groove diameter of the rest of the bore.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-26-2024 at 08:04 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Start with .428" .4285" .429" .4295" .430" .4305" .431" .4315" .432" .4325" and end with .433" this will cover pretty much all of your 44mag cylinders.

If you want to pin out 44-40 throats, start at .424" .4245" .425" .4255" .426" .4265" .427" .4275"

In addition to throat diameters on the 44-40 cylinder, equally if not more important is neck diameter. .445" is typical Ruger. You will want to know the exact neck diameter, subtract 2x case thickness and you are left with the maximum diameter boolit that will chamber when assembled into a loaded round. .445" - .014" (2x .007") = .431" Throats should be .4315"

18 pins, can order these as singles from Meyer, ZZ minus class is what you want, that's -.0002" below the laser marked diameter. Any finer increment like -.0001" under the pin will be so close to actual diameter it would be very hard to use, very difficult to get it to go in the throat so it makes you think the throat is tighter than the laser marked diameter on the pin.

For thread choke you don't want a hardened steel pin going down the bore! if the bore changes minutely it may get stuck and become galled which would be the death march for that barrel. Use a plastic cleaning jag on a cleaning rod, tightly patch 2 squares of paper towel over the jag and push it steadily down the bore. If it changes resistance as it travels, that is a change in bore diameter. if you don't sense any change and the jag continues and exits the forcing cone, there is NO choke. If it gets a slight resistance, that's a mild choke. If it stops and you dang near destroy the cleaning rod trying to beat it through, that is SEVERE choke, we are talking about .003" below groove diameter of the rest of the bore.
    Fixed it.