Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 caliber lead Boolits

Boolit Master

22 caliber lead Boolits

I looked at the Lee website for a 22 caliber mold and they only listed one as best I could tell. In the back of my mind I seem to remember hearing that they were very difficult to cast and get a quality bullet. What do you all think? Is a 22 caliber bullet worth trying to is it too difficult for a novice like me?

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I looked at the Lee website for a 22 caliber mold and they only listed one as best I could tell. In the back of my mind I seem to remember hearing that they were very difficult to cast and get a quality bullet. What do you all think? Is a 22 caliber bullet worth trying to is it too difficult for a novice like me?
    They will work but there are two things to remember.

1. Take your time when casting.
    2. Be sure to cull the bullets better than you are used to.

I have in the past cast bullets for .222 and .223 Remington. I don't anymore. Just not up to it at this advanced age.

Good Luck,
    ACC

Boolit Master

I think the challenge is not so much that it's massively more difficult to cast a bullet of equivalent quality to what you're used to, but that a given amount of imperfection on a 50 grain .22 is screwing up a much higher percentage of the total bullet mass than the same blemish would of a 200 grain .30 cal., but yes, I would say they are a little harder to cast. Not so much that they are outside the normal "every mold has its own rules" generalization, though.

A similar challenge is you get the same "larger percentage" problem with little cartridges. I successfully got a K-Hornet to group well enough to reliably splat a water bottle at 100 yards, but it warn't easy.

Depends on what your end game is. Getting a 9mm, .38, or .357 carbine to group well at 100 yards will almost certainly be easier, and will likely consume a similar amount of powder. It will also consume two to four times as much lead, so you have to weigh economy of components vs. economy of grief.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I’m using the Lee 55 gr bullet in my .218 Bee with a 14” twist barrel.
    I cast them hot and visually cull them, and they are doing pretty good.
    I would imagine that loading them for a 7” or 9” twist .223 would involve more caveats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I cast a 60 grain that I shoot in a mini mark X in 223 cal. The mold is an old Ideal. Head shots on squirrel at 75 yards is easy. It is quiter than a 22lr. I did not think they were any harder to cast than 30 cal bullets. My reject rate is ruffly the same as 30 cal bullets.

Boolit Master
    Speed is of concern as well. Need a tough alloy if going above 2000fps. I keep my 223s right at that limit. The Axis bolt action could prolly go higher with accuracy but my 1/7 twist ARs are prolly near their limit. I shoot a 75 grain boolit with a gas check and powder coating. I am going to try a 70-80 grain boolit with a plain base this summer and see if I can eliminate the need for a gas check with powder coating.

I run a Lee 225-55RF in a stock R700 223 at durn near max 4198 jacketed book loads. Skinny brrl will cloverleaf 3 shots @100 including the 1st,cold bore shot....

But that's not the reason for responding;

With the 22's... in my experience,they are extremely picky about the mould/bullet. You can take the same make and model gun and there will be a noticeable difference in two moulds that are close. Two examples here are the RCBS 60g vs Lee 55g.... and there are others like this. I shoot a bunch of 22-250's in several different rigs,same thing. Again,just my observation,you won't have to get all scientific about the data.... get it right and it'll start bug holing vs 1-2 inch groups for a ho hum mould. Base edges are CRITICAL. And really pay attention to sprue cut off.... as mentioned above,what you "get away with" in larger/heavier calibers is very upsetting to the 22's. Part of that is,a heavier bullet irons out discrepancy better by being slower to react to change. As velocity goes up,the bullet reaction goes up. As bullet weight goes down,reaction speeds up.

Good luck with your project.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two MP molds I purchased years ago for SHTF and never used them. I cannot cast an accurate .30 cal bullet so never tried them.

I will dig them out and put them in the S&S forum.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have a 45 gr. NOE plain base LRN/FP mold that I use with my .22 hornet, 3" 100 yard groups all day, sometimes even better but at only 1400 fps. I can cast a pile pretty quick with not too many rejects, just visual, not weight sorted. In the hornet, I pan lube them, no sizing (0.226" and 44 gr. with my #2 alloy) on either the bullet or the case, bullet is a fine fit on my fired selected brass. It is a Ruger #3 single shot, I don't crimp. I have a lyman 58 gr. LRN with gas check that I don't really have much use for. The bullets are fine but too long/heavy for the slow twist of my hornet (plus the cost of gas checks) and I don't load for my AR, I don't shoot it much and I have a case of ammo if needed. I guess I should work up a load for the AR just in case but working other projects at the moment. I am old and a bit fumble fingered but I don't have a problem handling these bullets, I don't have big hands. Somewhere back in the archives here is my .22 hornet cast bullet development with targets and pictures of bullets. I have not shot that gun in what maybe 10 years.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I found the old .22 Hornet thread with my pictures

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t-Anyone/page2

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I load a 55gn RCBS gas checked and powder coated boolit in my 223 Rem. Accuracy at 100yds would average 2 MOA.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I played with the Lee 55g GC mold.
    I have a fast twist AR, didn't work too well; a friend has a slower twist AR - he loved 'em !
    Messing with those tiny gas checks can be a pain !
    I got a MP HP mold to cast for my 22 TCM, in that cartridge, at about 2000 f/s, powder coat and no GC
    As said, just sort for imperfections more so than a bigger boolet.
    For some reason that little slug was harder to cast than bigger ones. Until I found that molds sweet spot got lots wrinkles.
    A beginning caster can do it, the learning curve can be steep, but hang in there.
    Kind of fun to cast for a couple hours and not see the pot go down very fast.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

I have two 22 caliber molds.
    Both are Lyman classic GCs.
    225415 and 225438
    I cast them from linotype and have no more rejects than my 25, 7MM, or 30 caliber molds.
    I shoot these bullets in my 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, and 221FB.
    Go for it, they shoot well for me.

I have an Ideal 225450....its 48gr pointed tip....what a pain in the butt to cast...ALTHOUGH....I haven't tried casting with it since I started using a hotplate. I think my problem was that the mold wouldn't stay hot enough due to the tiny cavity size in a larger block of iron. Heat retention wasn't good causing my issues. The last time I cast with that mold was about 8 years ago...and I think I got maybe 8% good boolits from it. With the hotplate...I might just try again. Of the few that I have had luck with....they sure do zip from the 22-250.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Long ago I had very high success with a single cavity Lyman 225415 (no Lee molds back then) in a Savage 219 22 Hornet. Well under 2" at 100 Yards.

Boolit Master
    I cast and load 22 caliber bullets in 22-250, 218 Bee and 222. Three different bullets, Lyman 225438, 225462 and an early design Lee Bator with the gas check shank reamed out. It took some trial and error, but was able to get accuracy around 1" at 100yds with the 225462 in the 22-250 and with the 225438 in the Bee. I even hollow pointed both of them on the lathe and used them to hunt groundhogs. My 222 barrel didn't like gas checks, and would rip them off both bullets. Glad I made a lexan screen to protect the chronograph from stuff like that. Best guess to why is my Sako's abrupt start to the rifling, I figure that was the culprit. The Bator shoots well in it though.
    Like was said in previous posts, when casting cull relentlessly, I even weighed them. Also, adding a little tin to the alloy helps with better fillout.

Boolit Master
    I was pleasantly surprised at how well they cast. Blocks were the same size as much larger bullets. They didn't seem to be a problem for me. They were used in a 1/9 twist AR-15. GC was mandatory to keep them within minute of berm. Also, PC'd them.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it's worth it. The most difficult thing is trying to keep the mold hot enough. I use a hotplate to pre-warm the mold. If I have issues with maintaining correct mold temp, I take a break and put the mold back on the hotplate, to get it back up to temp.
    that's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I don't find them anymore difficult to cast than other bullets and have done so for a .22 K-Hornet and a small .22 RF clone that uses CF primers. I would not do it with a Lee mould as they are aluminum. Lyman 225438 and a custom mould by Steve Brooks did the trick, no problems.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Casing .22 cal honestly isn't that hard . Idk I feel going that route really gave me a little bit of an advantage because you HAVE to be in your P's and Q's vs the "easier stuff" my advice though would be to drop a pill extra get a MP or NOE mold. Also get a NOE sizer set up and get a .225-.227 set of sizer bushings.
    Anyhow just run hot ,like 750 ,and keep your mild nice and pre heated. Also save yourself some headaches and just go ahead and gas check everything... O and use a harder alloy and water quench.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast