Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slingshot Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    My girlfriend has a double-barrel slingshot One could launch cantaloupes with...
    Funny you should mention that. A couple of decades ago at the RRd yard a couple of guys were launching water balloons with a brasserie. Didn't take long for a window to become a casualty.

It's all fun and games until.....

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Lol!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal View Post
    funny you should mention that. A couple of decades ago at the rrd yard a couple of guys were launching water balloons with a brasserie. Didn't take long for a window to become a casualty.

Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Those first two pictures look like something Fred Flintstone would take to the range. I may have to try and build one.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    For funsies, I did a Giggle search on DIY slingshot rifles: THAT is a serious rabbit hole!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Funny you should mention that. A couple of decades ago at the RRd yard a couple of guys were launching water balloons with a brasserie. Didn't take long for a window to become a casualty.

That reminded me of an old Beverly Hillbilly episode of Elly May running around with a bra strung up on a forked stick saying look Pa a double barrel slingshot!

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    That reminded me of an old Beverly Hillbilly episode of Elly May running around with a bra strung up on a forked stick saying look Pa a double barrel slingshot!
    Perhaps that's where the idea originated.

People will never cease to amaze me.

OK I've been into slingshots since I was 8 years old and my mother wouldn't let me have a BB gun cuz she was afraid I'd get into trouble with it? She bought me a Whamo Sling Shot one Saturday for $1.50. I still have it!

The thing came with instructions on how to shoot it accurately, and I killed more birds shooting marbles than I ever did with my BB gun that came a few years later. I was banned from the Slingshot/Beer Bottle shoot at Circus Circus in Vegas when we went there for vacay in 1962. You had to shoot beer bottles from 15 feet away with marbles and Whamo Slingshots. Not a tough shot!

I won Three Mega Bears before they shut me out. Gave them all to pretty girls, I was 12 at the time!

The kicker on all sling shots or devices of a similar nature is that when drawn the bands must be "Exactly the Same Length," or the shot will be Skewed one way or another. The best way to hold the yoke is sideways so differences in draw length only affect elevation and not windage. The optimum draw length on bands is 6:1

I have had a Slingshot Rifle on the drawing board for many years always looking for a decent Trigger Mechanism to copy. Mine will use 1/2" Surgical Tubing and will be built to shoot my .662 12 ga. 1 oz. round balls or 1/2-5/8" ball bearings.

The "Shot Car" itself, AKA the "Pouch," will be on a track and will be made of Hard Plastic and have a Tapered hole in the front face that the ball rides in. This will insure a "Perfect Release" for every shot.

The whole Idea here is to make something that will actually do some damage. I figure if I can get 250-300 fps out of it I will have something useful out to 50+ yards.

Like mentioned above You tube has lots of these devices shown and some are pretty ingenious. All of them work better than a Hand Held Sling Shot.

Also had visions of a Golf Ball Gun using butane for propellant. I already have targets in mind for that gun! (AssClowns?)

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-17-2024 at 04:20 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Honestly my skin crawls when I think about what one of those broken bands would feel like on the face.

Thanks, but I'll stick with safer activities - like loading Blue Dot in .308Win.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    On a similar note; I got lucky with Elly May at a party off the Sunset Strip in 1968 ! Yes I did!, and I Remember it like it was last Tuesday, I was 18! One of the high points of my life!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

A gentleman never tells, but can you define "lucky" a little more? I'm jealous already...
    Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12