Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Help with my Savage 99f stock

Boolit Mold

Help with my Savage 99f stock

My father just passed and he left me both his rifles. I have ben online trying to find value for both. One is a 12gauge Remington 1100 with 30" barrel. Found out its a 1979. But my hardest is a 308 Winchester Savage 99F with 22" barrel. Ser # to be from 1956. But looking online to see others for sale to get idea what to seel it for, I have not seen one like it. The stock has 2 inseted wood Diamonds one each side and on the Butt a Craving of a Bear in the mountains. I haven't seen anyone selling another gun like this. Could this be something Special I have here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230903_213548_482.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Stock carving generally lower values unless you have providence from a famous maker.

Yours is nicer than most.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

agrees with M-Tecs
    you might want to find a used stock for a replacement.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    There are usually assembly numbers under the buttplate, on the forearm and stamped on the lower tang under the stock that should match for original stock and forearm. Stock carving does usually reduce 'collector' value, but if well-done may be enjoyed by the owner. I do not believe that stock carving is factory original, but there are some who care more about that Than I. The Savage 99F in 308 is a fine rifle for hunting and shooting, I have one that will go under MOA when the wind is not blowing here. Most of the centerfire rifles I shoot the most are Savage 99's, 308's, 300's mostly, again, they can be very, very accurate and are totally reliable.

Boolit Grand Master

I am of a little different thought on the stock carving. It looks good and is well executed. I think it adds to the "history" of the rifle. It wasnt a one day project. I can envision the guy with the rifle in his lap or on a table making a cut or two then looking it over deciding on what was needed and another cut or two. In reality it may have been done in deer camp in the evenings. I wouldnt pay more for it but would lower the value a lot either.

Im pretty sure your Dad was proud of it and enjoyed it. Would be interesting to know if it was your Dad or a buddy in camp that did it.

On older firearms scratches dings notches carvings all add to the story of the firearm. As was said they may not add value but they do add to the history or story behind the rifle.

I am a lefty so it might not appeal to me but I once owned a Stevens Favorite rifle that someone carved a few oak leaves and acorns on and I sold it for double of what I paid for it a few months later.
    Jedman

No one has mentioned it, so I will. I believe that there is a date or date code stamped on the lever boss.
    That is a nice carving; it gives you something to stare at while the big old buck sneaks past��

I believe this thread has become long enough and informational enough to leave the "Testing Area" and go to "Leverguns" so it is being moved with a temporary redirect to the new location.

DG

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Given what was in vogue at the time as far as huge cheekpieces and white line spacers, I wouldn't be surprised if that carving was a factory option for a minute or two. It would go well with your polyester airplane collar shirt and gold chain.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.