RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman Super moly

Banned

Lyman Super moly

does it need heat even though it says it doesn't?

Boolit Master
    I think so. It puts more stress on my RCBS Lubrisizer than I'm willing to put it through. Maybe in the middle of the Summer it might be ok but if your loading room is cool enough to not be miserable it's a bit hard. I use a hair dryer for a few minutes then repeat whenever the lube starts to stiffen.

Boolit Master

I use a lube heater plate with my Lyman - even the Moly Lube. I moved away from the Moly Lube to Rooster Red because the Black from the Moly Lube on my hands and everything else it touches; particularly when warm.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

The tube of that crap that I had didn't need heat...it stains everything black that it touches, and you can't wash that moly off your hands or clothes for nuthin.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Fast Orange mechanics soap gets it off fast. It is messy though but you are supposed to get greasy and stinky when shooting cast.

I've been leaving my RCBS sizer in the sun for a half hour before use. I think a heat lamp would work as well....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I've been leaving my RCBS sizer in the sun for a half hour before use. I think a heat lamp would work as well....
    Or a heat gun. Doesn't take long to warm up the lube-sizer with a heat gun, but don't over-do it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9783 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	323777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9782 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	323778[ATTACH=CONFIG]323779[/ATTACH

I made a heater for those stiff lubes. A piece of aluminum plate 4" wide with a hols drilled just large enough for a 100 watt EBAY heat cartridge and a light dimmer. Works like a charm. BTY, don't turn the dimmer wide open unless you want to scoop up you lube from the floor!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9784 (640x480).jpg  
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Or a heat gun. Doesn't take long to warm up the lube-sizer with a heat gun, but don't over-do it!
    Great idea, thank you....

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The tube of that crap that I had didn't need heat...it stains everything black that it touches, and you can't wash that moly off your hands or clothes for nuthin.
    I used the Lyman heater, but note I lube it in a cold cellar room . I agree with JonB in Glencoe totally!!! I switched to the blue lube from Magma albeit I still have/use OrangeMagic.

NOTE: This is an edit of this post I made earlier where my ineptness in using American English showed as what I had intended to be said turned out to be the opposite? Both a big, "oops!" and, an apology to JonB_in_Glencoe and others!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 02-26-2024 at 04:19 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I used the Lyman heater, but note I lube in a cold cellar room . I cannot agree with JonB in Glencoe any more!!! I switched to the blue lube from Magma albeit I still have/use OrangeMagic.
    dude, you can't agree with me? but you switched away from that stainy Black Lyman Super moly crap? Good for you
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    dude, you can't agree with me? but you switched away from that stainy Black Lyman Super moly crap? Good for you
    "Holy embarrassment", as batman's friend would utter. Read my "correction post"? I typed "any" thinking I was expressing 100% AGREEMENT with you, but -- you saw, and I cannot but (again ) agree with you -- it also meant the opposite of what I was hoping to express.

I hope there's no weirdness or hard feelings! I'm happy you replied to me writing error; and, though again slightly (and then some) embarrassed by my mis-type, happier that I was hopefully able to (here) set things straight.

geo

Moderator Emeritus

Geo,
    no worries. It's all good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~