Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple green removed color case hardened finish

Boolit Mold
    Had same thing happen with dollar store "purple power". Must be the effect of caustic (low pH) on the H&R CC???

Boolit Master
    I would imagine that there are complexing agents in most of these new cleaners that will pick ferric and ferrous ions off metal surfaces without dissolving the base metal. Of course, bluing and the oxidation colors formed by color hardening processes are forms of iron oxide, or rust, and this would go away just as easily as surface rust of any other kind.

I remember when Ballistol came on the market over here, some guy on the old Shooter’s site thought so much of it that he stored his Colt Single Actions in ziplock Baggies, slathered in the stuff. Next time he checked them, his mint finishes were 75%, his 50% finishes were 25% and his 25% finishes were gray metal. An expensive lesson.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    Had same thing happen with dollar store "purple power". Must be the effect of caustic (low pH) on the H&R CC???
    Caustic is high pH, Acidic is low pH.
    Not saying caustic won't damage a firearm, but even a weak acid like the vinegar or citric acid will remove bluing (both relatively mild acids, but "low" pH).

Concentrated simple green is mildly caustic/alkaline according to online reference. (8.5-9.5)

All the Biofriendly solutions will do pretty much the same thing. I've used most of them to remove lasered powdercoating from yeti type cups. Shines stainless up well. Now evaporust is a bit different, if you have an old solution that has some residual grease or oil in it, you can get a nice black finish on steel..... and it wears well....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if this is one way to achieve a French Grey finish. I remember reading somewhere that one technique used was to color case harden the part and then buff the colors off with 4-0 steel wool.

Boolit Grand Master

The original Simple Green is relatively corrosive. The aircraft version is much better in not being corrosive.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-07-2024 at 03:29 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Caustic is high pH, Acidic is low pH.
    Not saying caustic won't damage a firearm, but even a weak acid like the vinegar or citric acid will remove bluing (both relatively mild acids, but "low" pH).

Concentrated simple green is mildly caustic/alkaline according to online reference. (8.5-9.5)
    Orange juice does a bang up job. Takes bluing off pronto. I had one friend whose bottle leaked into his day pack and stripped the bluing off his kit gun, another had a spill in the back seat of the car and it really made a mess of his Remington 1100.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12