Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: .70 caliber lever rifle?

Exclamation .70 caliber lever rifle?

I was web searching You-Tube last week and saw a video that portrayed a guy who had an 1887 Winchester lever shotgun that had been converted to shoot 12 gage brass hulls that were necked down to .70 caliber and a 700 grain lead slug on top of 120 grains of 1Fg Black Powder. He also had the gun barreled to boot. It showed him firing this gun and the reaction he had gives the impression that it kicks like a mule.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

The infamous 70-150. Supposedly Winchester contemplated building those but never did for production. I bet it would be pretty entertaining and now that Cimarron has affordable 1887s available it is possible if someone wanted to spend the money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I was web searching You-Tube last week and saw a video that portrayed a guy who had an 1887 Winchester lever shotgun that had been converted to shoot 12 gage brass hulls that were necked down to .70 caliber and a 700 grain lead slug on top of 120 grains of 1Fg Black Powder. He also had the gun barreled to boot. It showed him firing this gun and the reaction he had gives the impression that it kicks like a mule.
    That fella is pretty entertaining. "Levergun50" is his channel name. He has an 1886 in 50-110 he hotrods that looks far worse than the 70-150 as far as recoil.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Starting to approach 8 bore and 4 bore double rifle recoil levels - I value my retinas too much to spend any time getting kicked by a mule!

I have been kicked by a horse and I don’t want a gun that treats me like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have been kicked by a horse and I don’t want a gun that treats me like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That "hits home".
    Don Verna

Banner Sponsor

Might be easier to just install a rifled 12 ga barrel on the 1887.
    The ones from China with the forged relievers were proof tested to something like 45kpsi

Boolit Bub
    That video popped up and I watched it. That cartridge comparison he showed made it stick out like a tater on a fork. I didn’t read the details on how he did the conversion. Time and money is all you need I guess.

Boolit Master
    It's not that difficult of a conversion, but getting the carrier to work is tough. I haven't seen him use it as a repeater but that may very well be the abuse factor.

Boolit Bub
    Seems like a break action single shot would be a cheaper platform. I guess it depends on what you have to work with.

For those days when you need some power but your 12ga FH is just a bit too much, this is the toned down version.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav-n-Tn View Post
    Seems like a break action single shot would be a cheaper platform. I guess it depends on what you have to work with.
    It would definitely diminish the cool factor though!

Boolit Master
    Many Years ago , I was able to see One @ Griffin & Howe NY. It was magnificent looking rifle. This was nicely engraved. From what I was told By G&H, Most were made for the African Trade to compete with the English Doubles. Weather True or BS I don't Know. Wish I had a Cell phone Then . This was in The 1970's when I believe Bill Ward owned G&H
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'm subscribed to LeverGun50's videos. He talked about that rifle in a number of videos telling how he came up with the idea and details about the rifle and loads. It's pretty darned impressive when you consider how closely it compares to the classic English double rifles used in Africa.

A little off topic but speaking of recoil I did something really dumb about 45 years ago with a muzzleloader. I had a TC Renegade 54 cal. and was shooting 120 grs. Of FFG black powder with a maxi ball that was 450 grs.or so but left my solid fiberglass range rod in the barrel accidentally.
    That rod was 1/2” x 40” long and probably weighed 2 lbs+ and when I fired the rifle the recoil to my shoulder plus my hand that was gripping the gun hitting me in the nose and mouth left me in a state of shock for a few seconds. I could swear that George Foreman hit me with his best right hand punch as I think I seen stars from the impact. More than I ever want to experience again !
    Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

Did you say ... 70-150 ???
    That just sounds like way , way , way too much of a good thing !
    With that bad boy ... you better make the first shot count ... any follow up shot comes in minutes later ... at best !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"