MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Brownells five f

Boolit Mold

Brownells five f

Brownells five “f” is out of stock. Is there a substitute for it?
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    I use pumice and rottensone. I want to use five f after them to get higher polish/shine but Brownells doesn’t know when they will restock. I am thinking about trying 3M perfect-it III.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I wonder how well dichotomous earth would work? It is a very fine abrasive, cheap, and easily found at any garden center and most hardware stores.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I have never ran across and polish that will do the job 5F will. It puts a brilliant high shine on metals and plastics. I am about out, looks like I might have waited too long to restock. james

Boolit Master
    automotive rubbing compound for removing water spots!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I wonder how well dichotomous earth would work? It is a very fine abrasive, cheap, and easily found at any garden center and most hardware stores.
    If you try it would you put it out on here. I too am getting close to about out.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You would have better luck finding diatomaceous earth.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    You might look at guitar polish/woodworking supplies. If I remember correctly that's where Brownell's first found it.

Boolit Master

Flitz will polish just about anything.

Boolit Buddy
    I get rotten stone at Rockler. I buy Flitz in a can, not in a tube. That is how much I use it. Rotten stone and mineral oil is what I rub out oil finishes with. It gives a luster that is better than anything else I’ve tried. I let the stock cure for a month or so before giving it a rub down. Then a couple coats of Ren Wax.

I think that McGuires Ultimate Polish might be very close to what you are looking for too. The luthiers around here use it after McGuires Ultimate Compound to get a final high polish. I think most of them use the Ultimate Polish, I think their choice before the final coat isn’t as consistent.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 02-25-2024 at 02:36 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    You would have better luck finding diatomaceous earth.
    Speling is hart!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Automotive Clear coat polishing compound.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle