RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Moss berg 464 30/30 lever gun extractor problems

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Moss berg 464 30/30 lever gun extractor problems

Title says it all. The “ hook” on the end of the extractor is broken off. NO PARTS AVAILABLE so far! ( might be the reason it was a fairly good deal, though I didn’t know of the extractor tip was missing when I purchased it). Rifle had no signs of ever being fired. No marks on bolt face, nothing.

Soooooooo, do I take it back, ask for my money back,( bought at the local gun shop) or try to find a replacement extractor. Burnt up the Google fu and so far all places have been out of stock. Even the Mossberg factory said no dice, no parts available.
    Or, am I stuck with a parts gun?
    I might be able to build up the end and profile the hook back into being.
    I’m going to post a wtb shortly to see if I can find, what appears to be a bonafide unicorn!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you are not attached to the gun I would go back to the shop and see if they will take the return or try to get it fixed for you. I had a 464 and sold it when I saw the writing was on the wall as far as factory support. The extractor is a weak spot in them, mine broke and I was able to buy one from Mossberg back when they had them. This is why I'll never buy another rifle from Mossberg, they get discontinued frequently and have no factory or aftermarket support. It's not like the various Mossberg rifles have been made in the millions for decades and you can always find spares on Fleabay or Gunbroker. My aunt has an ATR (I think that's the model) inherited from her deceased husband. I told her to sell it while the thing is still functional and buy something more common with better parts and service support. Mossy shotguns are GTG though, and I have a nice 500.

If the shop won't help you out, even if you find another extractor it will probably have the same problem. I would then see if you could get a talented welder to TIG it for you. That done, you'll still be stuck with the same problem of being one little broken part away from the rifle becoming an admittedly nice looking oversize paperweight. It's really a shame, the 464 had alot going for it and mine was always a good shooter.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 02-22-2024 at 04:32 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Guncity.com says they ahve them in stock for 11.99 plus shipping. I'd buy two--it's cheaper than having a smith reweld your broken one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

rintinglen, that’s what I was looking for! Oh, you bet all that is dear to ya, I will have two!, thank you,sir!

Gotta love this site and the people.
    ‘Zilla
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Guncity.com says they ahve them in stock for 11.99 plus shipping. I'd buy two--it's cheaper than having a smith reweld your broken one.
    Post a link. The only Guncity.com I can find is in New Zealand . I'm not looking for parts but did want to look at their site.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    the one I looked at is in New Zealand, but supposedly will ship to the US.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Call Mossberg about it. They've always been great when I've needed something. It's worth a try. Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ may have them as well.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/44660a

Boolit Master

To everyone who responded, my hearty thanks! I spent an unbelievable amount of time looking for this piece! I returned the gun and got a refund. If I really wanted to keep it, if I got it at a reasonable “ parts gun” price, would have tinkered with it some more, but..............

Once again, I am grateful to all who responded. Mossberg factory basically said, no parts, you on your own.

So glad you got it worked out. And, you confirmed my choice not to buy anything from Mossy other than shotguns. They should just stick with shotguns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Ferguson, IF I had gotten it cheap enough to put some machining work in it, I’d would have kept it! Because, it would have taken a bit of machining to put a Sako style extractor in that bolt! Any gunsmiths out there that want to figure that out, the market is wide open!

Again,thanks to all who responded!

Boolit Master
    I would have expected it to be almost identical to a Marlin for the extractor but evidently not. I've never seen one in person.

The 464 is actually a neat design in most respects. Basically a Winny 94 with Marlin style round bolt and a solid bridge at the rear for easy scope mounting.

Or....you could have tried Havlin Sales. $8.00.

DG

Boolit Master
    Even the (P64) Winchester M94 extractor looks like its a solid piece of steel is actually folded sheet metal.....never seen on broken ,though...........Not uncommon for sheet metal parts to have cracks from the moment they are stamped out ,and severe bends are a site of later failure.

Boolit Master
    I have had my 464 for about ten years and have shot it quite a bit with no difficulties. Mostly what I shoot is loads that are quite light, usually 130's at 1300 fps. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Boolit Master

I looked and found what you recommended, Der Gebergsjager,but is the 472 and the 464 the same action? I can still retrieve the weapon. Plus, this particular website never came up in my search. Thank you for finding it for me. I’ll tell the gun shop where to find this part!

Havlin Sales is a husband/wife combination who specialize in Mossberg parts. They often wind up with the left over parts when Mossberg discontinues a model. In fact, they authored a nice book entitled "Mossberg, More Gun For The Money." You would be best served to phone them and tell them your needs personally. They are always on the lookout to buy obsolete model parts and may well have just one or two of something, insufficient quantity to advertise. Good luck.

DG

Boolit Master
    I saw some of those MOSSBERG lever guns at a cabalas half dozen years ago. my thought was they had a long way to go to get to the quality of any meat and potato marlins or winchesters. i put them back on the rack as quick as they came off

I sure don't want to open a can of worms here, but I am sort of a Mossberg fan. I presently own one of the 464 models and several of the 472 models. The 464s bear a superficial resemblance to a Win. '94, while the 472s take a second glance to see that they aren't a Marlin. I purchased the 464 from former member Blackpowder Bill in like new condition, and the 472s here and there on Gunbroker. The main reason that I bought them is that I'm sort of a student of firearms actions, and wanted to see the differences between the Mossberg's internal mechanisms and the originals. It is very interesting--they are quite different in internal design. I would not be able to agree that they are
    really inferior, just different. Over the years I've owned several Mossbergs of various models, and all performed well. Yes, one's initial impression can be that they are cheap or poorly constructed, but they do perform well. It's kind of like looking at a new Ford or a new Cadillac. Both are bright and shiny, and both will get you there, but the Cadillac has more bells and whistles and perhaps is better constructed. I'll have to immediately qualify that with admitting that I'm not very well up to date on today's automobiles--just trying to find an example for comparison.

That's kind of how I've always viewed Mossberg firearms. Take, for example, their bolt action shotguns. They look sort of strange, but they'll get the job done, and many are still in service. It's been my experience that they make better than average barrels and all the Mossbergs I've owned have been better than average in accuracy. I think they fill a niche in that many find their products to be more affordable while delivering dependable service. True, things break, but back in my gunsmithing days I repaired broken guns of many different brands, and with the possible exception of Davis and Lorcin pistols it would be hard for me to say that one brand was exceptionally fragile. Used to be that some of those Cadillac and Fords were lemons now and then, and you'll find a firearm now and then that's a lemon and it shouldn't have left the factory. That can apply to some with great overall reputations like S&W and Ruger. As for stamped parts, the firearms designers usually test such parts extensively before putting them into production, and generally they provide good service.
    This 472 model is branded Revelation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006866.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	323970

DG

I've had two 464's and thought that both were very competent, certainly no worse than the 336 and 94 of the past 20 years.