Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone use the MP359-158-SWC BB???

Boolit Master

Anyone use the MP359-158-SWC BB???

Short version, my go to bullets for the 38spl has become the 358477 and the 358311 over the last year or two. I find them to just be too good of an option to justify a move to any other designs for general target loads. I use both bullets with 5.0grs of Unique, as both drop right at 158-160grs with my particular alloy. But...and there is always a but... I recently have been dealing with neck/shoulder issues. I have a fairly significant amount of degenerative disc disease in my lower cervical spine, to the point of causing a nerve root impingement. Which causes a lot a tightness, radiating pain, and fatigue in my left shoulder and arm. I.e., the arm I used to hold the mold when casting. Translation, I just can't do long casting seasons with, or without, heavy molds. Which is a problem for me, as my two 358311 molds are 4cav Lymans. And my 358477 mold is a 2 cavity mold - I had to stop myself from responding to a S&S post yesterday on a 4cav 358477 mold because I know I just won't be able to use it very much. I digress... So I'm stuck either casting for a long time with a two cavity mold, which I can't really do much anymore. Or casting for a slightly less amount of time with a heavy 4cav mold, which I just can't do almost any of anymore....

MP molds has an Aluminum 8cav Mold for the MP359-158-SWC with a Bevel Base in stock. This would solve two problems, the weight issue, and how fast I could cast. But I've never been a big fan of bevel base boolits. So I'm looking for someone with experience with this design. It is very reminiscent of the store bought cast bullets for the 38spl I used to see all the time - which I never had good accuracy with.

Has anyone used this bullet??? What was your experience?

Here is the mold in question: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/359...aluminum-mold/
    Last edited by jdgabbard; 02-22-2024 at 12:48 PM.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I have not used that exact mold but I can tell you that the MP molds eight cavity aluminum molds are excellent and absolutely rain a Mountain of Bullets!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    I have not used that exact mold but I can tell you that the MP molds eight cavity aluminum molds are excellent and absolutely rain a Mountain of Bullets!
    That’s why I am looking at it. I figure it’s lighter, and significantly faster. The idea is to cast the required number is the shortest time possible to reduce wear and strain… the only real question is how it performs. If it doesn’t perform well it’s not of any use to me.

Honestly, if he had the same bullet without the BB I’d probably just pull the trigger, as it almost looks like a clone of the RCBS 158gr SWC, which is a good design from what I hear.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have not been thrilled with bevel base molds, but that is because I formerly used a Lyman 450 to size with and the lube would get in the gap at the bevel and make for messy reloading. I also found that they were a teeny bit less accurate. However, others have stated that they had no discernable difference between flat or bevel based boolits of similar design.

Given that you powdercoat your boolits, I would think that this would be the answer to your quest for higher production and lower weight. I do not think you will find that it suffers in comparison to your other molds, at least when it comes to accuracy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I use it works great for me, your mileage may very.

Boolit Master

No input on the bullet design, but there are 4-cavity aluminum molds to consider if it's a matter of weight vs. number of reps.

For me, it's lower back and butt discomfort from sitting in front of the furnace for long spells, so I'd rather run a ten pound, ten cavity iron H&G mold for one hour than a four ounce, two cavity mold for five or six. My Dad is in the opposite situation with a number of surgeries done to keep his hands and arms functional, and he's gone to brass molds (heavy, but he likes how they cast) and mostly three cavity (it's what he can manage). I really dislike this "no good answers" aspect of life.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    No input on the bullet design, but there are 4-cavity aluminum molds to consider if it's a matter of weight vs. number of reps.

For me, it's lower back and butt discomfort from sitting in front of the furnace for long spells, so I'd rather run a ten pound, ten cavity iron H&G mold for one hour than a four ounce, two cavity mold for five or six. My Dad is in the opposite situation with a number of surgeries done to keep his hands and arms functional, and he's gone to brass molds (heavy, but he likes how they cast) and mostly three cavity (it's what he can manage). I really dislike this "no good answers" aspect of life.
    Well, brass is my preferred mold material. And I do have a few of the MP 6cav brass molds. But they’re pretty heavy for my arm/shoulder at this point. A statement that is very difficult for me to make…..

They cast fast, but are just too heavy for me to sit down and cast 500 or so bullets at a time. Which is why I’m looking at starting to buy some aluminum versions.

As for H&G molds, I have a couple. But only the 4cavs. I used to want one of the old 10cm armory molds. But now we’re also to the point that we can get something like that in Aluminum. MP’s are 8cavity!!!

Boolit Man
    I am using a NOE aluminum mould that works pretty good for weight and 4 or 5 cavity that works for volume. I use the 4 cavity but the 5 is available. The good part is that it is pretty accurate, the only downside is that they don't like to chamber in my Winchester - not a serious problem, I have several others that do.
    HTC358-154-RF-BW5 5 Cavity

Boolit Master

The 8 cavity 158 Swc that MP sells is the same bullet that Missouri Bullets sells, I like the 8 cavity because you get a pile of bullets quickly, so it helps because I cannot cast as fast as I could 30 years ago. I cast about 12,000 bullets a year.

I have this mold as well. It is a very good performer.

Boolit Master

See my PM to you

Boolit Master
    Just to give everyone an update, as I've been staying away from the internet the last week or so... I did purchase the mold in question. It arrived the other day, and I got it mounted on a new set of Lee handles. I haven't cast with it yet, but will plan on doing so before too long. I figured I'd give this a go with the classic 5.0gr of Unique load.... Any other load suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    The 8 cavity 158 Swc that MP sells is the same bullet that Missouri Bullets sells, I like the 8 cavity because you get a pile of bullets quickly, so it helps because I cannot cast as fast as I could 30 years ago. I cast about 12,000 bullets a year.
    It looks like a lot of the store-bought bullets I have seen. I figured it was a clone.... Out of curiosity, what load do you find this likes?

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    I have this mold as well. It is a very good performer.
    Nice to see another, what load do your guns like?

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    See my PM to you
    I responded to your PM. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Short version, my go to bullets for the 38spl has become the 358477 and the 358311 over the last year or two. I find them to just be too good of an option to justify a move to any other designs for general target loads. I use both bullets with 5.0grs of Unique, as both drop right at 158-160grs with my particular alloy. But...and there is always a but... I recently have been dealing with neck/shoulder issues. I have a fairly significant amount of degenerative disc disease in my lower cervical spine, to the point of causing a nerve root impingement. Which causes a lot a tightness, radiating pain, and fatigue in my left shoulder and arm. I.e., the arm I used to hold the mold when casting. Translation, I just can't do long casting seasons with, or without, heavy molds. Which is a problem for me, as my two 358311 molds are 4cav Lymans. And my 358477 mold is a 2 cavity mold - I had to stop myself from responding to a S&S post yesterday on a 4cav 358477 mold because I know I just won't be able to use it very much. I digress... So I'm stuck either casting for a long time with a two cavity mold, which I can't really do much anymore. Or casting for a slightly less amount of time with a heavy 4cav mold, which I just can't do almost any of anymore....

MP molds has an Aluminum 8cav Mold for the MP359-158-SWC with a Bevel Base in stock. This would solve two problems, the weight issue, and how fast I could cast. But I've never been a big fan of bevel base boolits. So I'm looking for someone with experience with this design. It is very reminiscent of the store bought cast bullets for the 38spl I used to see all the time - which I never had good accuracy with.

Has anyone used this bullet??? What was your experience?

Here is the mold in question: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/359...aluminum-mold/
    I did not read any of the replies. I am in a very similar situation wrt to being able to cast.

IMO going to a lighter mold just delays the inevitable.

My solution was to purchase a Master Caster. I will be able to use it without worrying about mold weight. If I get to the point I cannot use it manually, Hatch makes an automation panel for it. Not cheap either but I could make bullets until I can no longer shoot.

It is a lot of money, and they are going to get more expensive unless another manufacturer fills the void left by Magma closing shop. My advice is to bite the bullet if you want to cast bullets long term. Molds for it are being produced by MP molds but I have found them on eBay as well.

BTW, this works for me because I am a KISS caster/reloader. I do not need 50 different bullets that MUST be of a certain design. Standard profile/weight bullets do all I need for plinking and steel.

IMO, for a person that shoots a lot, it is a wise investment. The units hold their value and have a long history of good performance. My only regret is not buying one 20 years ago.

Good luck.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Well, I broke out this mold this afternoon to do some casting along with my 2cav 358156. I never thought I’d be running a 20lb pot dry in just a few minutes of casting!

One thing I did notice is that this mold takes MUCH MUCH longer to cool between pours than my brass 6 cavity molds. It tends to run hot…real hot. I had to cast the dual cavity 358156 three times to every pour on the 8cav mold.

That said, I’m still working on figuring out the proper cadence. But this mold casts fast!