Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Strip Steak

NY Strip Steak

Our local store has NY Strip steak on sale for $4.99/lb and I can’t pass on that deal. We really like grilled steaks but how else can the steaks be prepared? Does anyone care to share different recipes using the steaks?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

slice thin for fajitas
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Montreal Steak seasoning ~ grilled rare over light /medium flame. 3 minutes on each side w/ repeated flipping (about 3 or 4 cycles). Plunge cut to inspect middle and stop when you've reached your preference to rare - medium rare - medium - etc. Bourbon on the side

Black pepper and sea salt cooking on the hot skillet with the bacon grease

Cut it up for beef stew, make it like pot roast, or any of the copy cat Asian beef recipes.

At that price, it wouldn't be a bad idea to load up and grind it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Just salt and pepper at least two hours before cooking. Slap it on the grill and cook till 135. By the way keep an eye out for chuck. There is a round portion on the bottom of most that is the end of a rib eye. Use it as a steak and the top portion for a roast. Good stuff.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    New York Strip? :O That is a travesty! Sacrilege! For that, you shall be cast out among the Vegans!

Skirt steak is the proper cut of beef for fajitas. In lack of said cut, round steak will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    slice thin for fajitas
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

That’s a steal. Around here anywhere between $11-14 a pound.

Cavender's Greek Seasoning, applied liberally (literally! As in, how a Liberal would spend your money if they got their hands on it!). Best if kept in a bag overnight but can be cooked immediately in a pinch.
    Fire is your friend, but in absence of God's Pure Heat, a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, or griddle, will work. Just before you think the Moo is properly heated, add one pat real, honest to God butter.

Enjoy your bounty, sir! I commend your good fortune!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master

At 5 bucks a pound, cut them into stew meat!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

In addition to location of the cut meat is also graded. I jump on steak sales but the lower priced is generally lower quality for both toughness and flavor.

https://www.angus.org/pub/beefchart.pdf

https://barbecuefaq.com/primal-cuts-...h%2F13th%20rib.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/usda-beef-grades-1328658
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

There's been mixed results on New York strip steaks that we've gotten hold of. Some were surprisingly not tender.

For possibly tough pieces a technique I tried was flour and seasoning and then searing them in well oiled cast iron just like you would a roast before cooking it. Then stacking them three or four deep with the seasonings in between and baking them that way, all wrapped up. The net result is highly spiced, very flavorful and tender. It's not like having a good steak over a mesquite wood fire among the prickly pears but it's a different kind of good.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    New York Strip? :O That is a travesty! Sacrilege! For that, you shall be cast out among the Vegans!
    Skirt steak is the proper cut of beef for fajitas. In lack of said cut, round steak will suffice.
    With the current popularity of skirt steak, it's no longer less than $5 a lb.
    Round steak is too lean for my liking, I say grind that up for burger patties.
    A good NY Strip is great fried in a hot iron skillet, and that's what I do. ...But if I was buying a bunch for $5 I wouldn't hesitate slicing some thin, cuz it has enough fat for Fajitas.
    that's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    There's been mixed results on New York strip steaks that we've gotten hold of. Some were surprisingly not tender.

For possibly tough pieces a technique I tried was flour and seasoning and then searing them in well oiled cast iron just like you would a roast before cooking it. Then stacking them three or four deep with the seasonings in between and baking them that way, all wrapped up. The net result is highly spiced, very flavorful and tender. It's not like having a good steak over a mesquite wood fire among the prickly pears but it's a different kind of good.
    Oh, I like that idea !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reading what you guys are writing is a making me hungry!

Are you kidding?! It's making me want to jump in the bird and buzz off to Grand Prairie and get in on this bonanza!

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Reading what you guys are writing is a making me hungry!

Boolit Master

the If it is tough, the way mom used to cook venison would work. She cut the steaks thin, 3/8 inch at most. Salt lightly, roll in flour, then into a hot skillet with a touch of bacon grease. When they were lightly browned they went into a crock pot. The left over flour and grease were lightly browned and added to the crock pot. Talk about good meat and gravy. It never came out tough.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Moderator Emeritus

Thin slice for stir fry...

If tough pound it thin, coat it with your choice of breading, fry in hot oil for chicken fried steak...

Also makes tolerable jerky if tough...

Now, I am REALLY hungry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast