Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argentine primers

Argentine primers

I thought I read on here that the Argentine made small pistol primers sold by Norma USA were good primers. Try as I might I couldn't find the threads about them. The old saying keeps ringing in my head "If it sounds too good to be true , it isn't). I put in my cart 3000 small pistol standard primers for $49.99 per 1000. Free shipping for orders of $150 or more and no hazmat. Has anyone else on here bought these?

I did exactly what you just did but two weeks ago at midnight on a Sunday. Midway during the day on Wednesday I received a box with 3,000 primers. It is by far be fastest I have ever received reloading components in the mail.

I was specifically asking about "Norma USA" and the "Servicios Aventires" small pistol primers.

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I was specifically asking about "Norma USA" and the "Servicios Aventires" small pistol primers.
    Yes I ordered servicios aventura's primers from Norma USA and they delivered them midweek.

I am loading 9 mm, 38 special, 357 magnum, 300 Blackout seems to work fine for all of them

Thanks RCB! That's all I needed to know!

Moderator Emeritus

I ordered 4K.
    1st thing, they are packed in trays with square holes that are a bit large, so heads up...if the box gets mishandled, you'll be playing 1000 Pick Up. The trays are in the box, sideways. I always handle the box with that side up...for same reason.
    Lastly, while I haven't seen one, a fellow reloader posted a photo with a tray full of primers and one primer had a anvil kitty-whompus. So when I load them in a primer dispenser, I examine each primer...it can't really be done easily in the factory tray, since the square holes are large and the primers roll around...some primers are up, some are down, some are sideways.
    So far, they've all inserted into brass good (just like CCI), and all have gone bang.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks Jon. I'll definitely be careful to avoid spills. I read somewhere that anvils have been found loose in the trays as well.

Boolit Master

I have shot 9,500 of SA's so far and they work.

Boolit Master
    I've gone through 5000. 1/1000 doesn't fire with multiple hits. I bought another 5000. I seat FIRMLY on the Dillon. They've worked very well with my fast burning pistol powders, single and double base.

Norma USA shipped fast by FEDEX both times. No hazmat sticker because it is shipped freight.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 02-21-2024 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I thought I read on here that the Argentine made small pistol primers sold by Norma USA were good primers. Try as I might I couldn't find the threads about them. The old saying keeps ringing in my head "If it sounds too good to be true , it isn't). I put in my cart 3000 small pistol standard primers for $49.99 per 1000. Free shipping for orders of $150 or more and no hazmat. Has anyone else on here bought these?
    I bought 1000 of them. I reloaded three boxes of ammo. Yes every one was seated as far as it would go. I had around 10 failures to fire out of 50. Turns out the anvil was left out of most of them. I threw away 850 of them. Pulled a whole box of ammo down. Still have a box to go. Bad rubbish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Servicios Aventuras Dec 6 2023.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    I bought 1000 of them. I reloaded three boxes of ammo. Yes every one was seated as far as it would go. I had around 10 failures to fire out of 50. Turns out the anvil was left out of most of them. I threw away 850 of them. Pulled a whole box of ammo down. Still have a box to go. Bad rubbish.
    Show us the gun used, please.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used less than 100 in my Rossi 92 357mag so far they all went bang. Powder used was Herco and lil gun, no problem so far.

Boolit Master

I've used well over 2k with zero issues.

Boolit Master
    I bought some from the Norma USA site. I found that you only had to buy 2,000 to get the Free Shipping so that's what I did. Loaded some 38 Special and shot 50 rounds to verify they worked and they did. Meanwhile they sent an email with a code for 5% off. I was messing around with getting the code to work and trying to decide how many to order and finally placed an order for 10,000. Just a few days later I got 2 boxes of 10,000! Somehow they website doubled the order - and charged for both too. Never being one to worry about excess I have no regrets as now I can shoot freely without worrying about running out of SPP's for a while. I've shot another couple boxes of 38 Special since and have no complaints. The comment about spilling them from the box is correct. The sleeve they are in will open up real easy when you take it out of the box and spill primers everywhere if you don't grab it on the top and bottom rather than the edges. Once it starts to happen once you can see how to prevent it next time. I have seated about 400 or so using the RCBS Bench Priming tool and I can't tell any difference compared to any of the US made primers.

Boolit Master
    One hint, I think if you create an account, then make the minimum order for testing, this will generate an email from Norma to give you a 5% discount for the next order. This is when you can go in and buy at least 5,000 for an even better deal.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    One hint, I think if you create an account, then make the minimum order for testing, this will generate an email from Norma to give you a 5% discount for the next order. This is when you can go in and buy at least 5,000 for an even better deal.
    Good hint
    Don Verna

I started using the SyA primers about a year ago when nothing else was available. I got mine from Stockpile cache in Colorado. They provided very good service, no HAZMAT, and shipped within a day of getting the order. Prices were okay but not fabulous.

At the range, I found that some of my pistols would handle them fine, but some did not set them off every time. On closer examination, the SyA primers seem to have a very thick cup which requires a strong blow to ignite. Stockpilecache also has the Ginex SP primers from Bosnia which I tried next. Those are very reliable in all my pistols, although somewhat more fragile; I can't punch out a live primer without destroying it.

At this point I am reserving my remaining supply of SyA for the pistols that will handle them. I think they would also work fine as small rifle primers, I just haven't tried that yet. This is just my experience, and not a big criticism of the Argentine product.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Bub
    After extensive testing I found the SA primers need a factory spring or close to it for ignition. In my Beretta M9A4 the MCarbo 12# spring would only set off 80 percent of the time. I put in the Mcarbo 14# spring and then I had 1 failure in 22 rounds. The factory spring is either 16 or 18#. I am using the SA primers for practice and load development and as a side benefit extra Double Action practice when one does not go off. The cup must be of hard stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought several K a while back. I've use them in S&W Shield, Springfield XD and S&W 357 revolver. Haven't had any failures with them

One thing to watch out for is that they have a slightly shorter cup, and I have had a couple turn sideways in my Lee hand primer.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast