Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Re-Barrel a Winchester 1885 High Wall and change the caliber

Boolit Bub

Re-Barrel a Winchester 1885 High Wall and change the caliber

Hi Guys,
    Thinking of changing caliber on my High Wall from 38/50RH to a 45/110
    Can anyone recommend a competent good outfit that does this?
    would appreciate your help on this.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you got brass for 45-110. Extremely hard to find brass. I have had 45-2.6 on backorder from Starline for almost 3 years. 45-70 would be easier to get .I think John Taylor on here does this kind of work.

Boolit Bub
    Thank You, have a few 45/110 cases,
    Already have 4 rifles in 45/70
    Will try to get ahold of John Taylor

Boolit Master

If your planing on using smokeless powder you have too much room in the case. Black powder loads will work fine. I think I have the reamer for the 45-110. 45-90 would be a little easier on the shoulder.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks John,
    Talked to Keith at Wyoming Armory today. He really tried to discourage me from changing calibers, said the 38/50 RH is a desirable caliber.
    Very accurate for long range silhouette shooting.
    What do you think?

Boolit Master

I dropped you a private msg re:barrel. I would not change out. I have a .38-40RH original. I find the 38-55 Win is a little more gun. I may have my original punched out to 38-50. As the barrel is only marked 38 I see no down side to doing this. Like you, I need to find someone to do this and get is correct the first time.
    As for your gun, I would buy a new gun if I wanted a new gun. Unless you have some attachment to the action. A new barrel is what $300, mounting and chambering is more. Shipping two ways. I'm seeing 300 to 500 dollars spent. That is a big chunk of a new gun.
    Sell the other as a complete package.
    I know I'd like a 38-50 but I don't have a Highwall action sitting here waiting for a shock tube. I have several other actions that it might could be made to fit, but might not, so your looking for a guy with spare Highwall action and the desire for a 38-50. That is a smaller list.
    Is that an original action or Uberti etc?

Boolit Buddy

You might consider 45-90wcf. 45-110 brass is unobtanium! Just like the rare metal in Avitar that defies gravity. I have a few 45 cal Green Mountain barrels on the shelf and have several 45 cal barrels on order from Borchardt in New Mexico. Both barrels perform great. The last Borchardt barrel I threaded up shoots like it has eyes! I am an old diemaker. Have the Winchester 1885 roll die. I can restore the address found on the top barrel flat. Have the original pattern caliber dies too. Usually a rebarrel in 45-70 or 45-90wcf runs around $750.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Dave, Yes its an original 1885 High Wall, I already have four 38/55's. One is back in Missouri at Lee Shavers, been there going on 8 years. Long story. Its a late made original engraved receiver. Made about 1915. The other is a Winchester High wall current production. the other two are Marlin Levers, The 38/50 RH is considered a 38/55 on Steroids is what I have been told. Very desirable for Silhouette competition shooting. That's also what Keith at Wyoming Arms in Cody Wy also told me yesterday. He quoted me $1200 plus shipping to Re-barrel mine. Said he wouldn't do it to his.
    JES re-bore in cottage grove Oregon will rebore it, or so I have been told. They have not returned my phone call yet.
    Haven't found your private message yet. But I'm not real savvy about all the ins and out on how these forums work. I'm an old fart of 75.
    Like I said previously you can call or text me at 530-570-7685

Boolit Bub
    I'm interest, you can text me or call me at 530-570-7685
    my name is Val

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Riceguy View Post
    Thanks John,
    Talked to Keith at Wyoming Armory today. He really tried to discourage me from changing calibers, said the 38/50 RH is a desirable caliber.
    Very accurate for long range silhouette shooting.
    What do you think?
    I have a high wall and a roller in 38-55, both are great and don't hurt my shoulder. According to the book you can use the same loads in your 38-50. Next build will most likely be a 32-40 on a high wall. Big bores are for young people that like to throw big chunks of lead down range, great way to develop a flinch.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks John
    What book are you referring to as loads for the 38/50 RB? That suggests you can use the same loads for as the 38/55 ?
    Not Waters Pet loads was it?
    I'm not really up on Black Powder.

Boolit Mold
    Please forgive me if I am slightly off topic. I am new to the forum.
    I have a Win 1885 (circa 1911 or 13, I can't remember). 25-20SS. Barrel is a sewer pipe.I am going to have it relined and chambered back to the original caliber.
    I actually would like to shoot the Hornady 60grn flatpoint(listed in their manual for the 25-20 Win.) I figured this would be o.k. wuth the modern liner metal and moderate loads. I will scope it, as the eyes are along in years. Just want to have fun an pop a few squirrels.
    My ?....does anyone have a recommended starting load?

Boolit Master
    Rocker:

I load 7 gr SR-4759 behind the Ideal 257420. I imagine a jacketed bullet of similar weight would do as well.

Riceguy:

I think you would be ahead by getting a new barrel in .45-2-7/8” and saving your old one. Except for long range target shooting and grizzly bears in thick cover, the .45-2-7/8” is, for most people, too much of a good thing. When the thrill wears off, you can rebarrel with the .38-50 and be glad you kept it.

I have a .45-2.6” that pretty much stays in the safe as it doesn’t do anything that a .45-70 can’t do just as well, with less powder and easier-to-find brass and loading tools.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Riceguy View Post
    Thanks John
    What book are you referring to as loads for the 38/50 RB? That suggests you can use the same loads for as the 38/55 ?
    Not Waters Pet loads was it?
    I'm not really up on Black Powder.
    Cartridges of the world.