WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I finally found an original Rem Rolling Block. I have Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    What brass you looking for?

Tim
    50-70, 50-90, or 50 Basic.

Boolit Bub
    I don’t have my reference books where I am, but couldn’t you make a jig to bend the rim of the 500 nitro in a few places to simulate a thicker rim? This way you would have a normal chamber for when you can get the correct brass.
    Last edited by MichaelR; 02-27-2024 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
    I don’t have my reference books where I am, but couldn’t you make a jig to bend the rim of the 500 nitro in a few places to simulate a thicker rim? This way you would have a normal chamber for when you can get the correct brass.
    I bet I could. But hindsight being clearer, I'll sell the 500 and source some 50-2 1/2"

Boolit Buddy
    I know you've already determined to change the caliber of Custer's rifle to .50-90 instead of .50 Govt. The MVA Rough and Ready sight is the best recreation of Remington's Combination Peep rear sight, and a Beach's front sight (fold down for blade, fold up for globe) is correct for the front. MVA makes one that's decent. The best photos that I'm aware of are the one wit Custer holding the rifle with the elk he shot, https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/97...445b859ab6.jpg and the one taken in camp in front of the NPRR tent, https://static01.nyt.com/images/2012...superJumbo.jpg
    Good resources if you're researching details trying to duplicate the rifle. 28" full octagon, round top, flat side receiver (this is a VERY early rolling block, so essentially a military receiver), single set trigger.

I had Dave Higginbotham of Lone Star Rifles make me a a duplicate about 20 years ago. I cheated on mine and used a sporting receiver, and the later standard steel forend tip rather than the plain rounded pewter one that was on the original Custer rifle. Dave allowed me to choose the serial number, any number except number 1, which he was reserving for himself. I said any number? he said "yes." I said GAC 1876. He said, "Dang, I wish I'd thought of that!"
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Buddy
    If you think you need more horsepower use a paper patch bullet seated out in the 50-70 That way you can stuff nearly 75 gr of powder in a modern case. I promise thats all you need. Secondly, unless you opt for a stock design with less drop the original profile and buttplate will deal you extraordinary misery with the 50-90.

By the way Higginbothams favorite calibers for the Roller were the 50-70 and 44-77....in that order.

Boolit Grand Master

Go to the hardware and get yourself some "O" rings.
    I use these on my "cobbled" 40-70 brass to hold the rim solid on the breach face.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12