RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: failed to fire, poor storage or what

Boolit Master

failed to fire, poor storage or what

today for the first time ever I had 3 22's failed to fire right in a row. all from a winchester 555 box that is about half full. no ftf in any others previously from that box. these were stored in heated house for at least 4 years then moved the box to a place that is unheated and they were near the floor if that makes any difference. the firing pin mark is there and I even tried them each twice they would not fire. im going to try and shoot a bunch more from the box tomorrow.
    I switched over to some cci's and they all fired from the same gun so its not the gun. until this I have had nothing but good things to say about winchester copper plated hollow points from the white 555 boxes

Boolit Master

4 years puts it back into the "Pandemic" era. I noted quite a few indented primers on ammo during that period, as well as lots of FTF .22's with primer indention marks on the ground - but no ignition. Lot's of products displayed poor quality control back then.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

22 lr Misfires.

If you pull the bullets & dump powder, look at the priming compound. It may be missing or flaked out. Try firing 3 times before pulling.

Slow firing pin speed can cause misfire, But indent in rim looks normal.

Check firing pin protrusion. Should not contact barrel face.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 02-20-2024 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Back a moment or two ago a friend of mine and I would buy a pallet of 22 Winchester Wildcat ammunition from the local Coast to Coast every March before ground squirrels started poking their heads up. Around 100 if those would end up as FTF. We would put them in a coffee can and shoot them out of his father's low wall Winchester. I don't recall needing more than one firing, but I may be mistaken.
    The FTF since I have had, I've pulled a few apart and found what others have said about chipped up or missing priming compound.
    That is - IF the firing mechanism is in clean, good working order.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 02-21-2024 at 02:20 AM.

Out of all the FTF rounds I have picked up at the range, the majority have been Winchester. I have an old Remington 514 single shot that I save these up for. When I get 80 to 100 I will take them to the range and try them in the 514. I usually get a 60% fire rate. I have been doing this since Obama was in office.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I just fired 40 rounds through the same 22-45 from the same winchester 555 box. they all worked perfect.

Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes, shooting in cold weather and if the gun is cold you can get some FTF ...especially if the gun hasn't been cleaned in a while, or you lubed it with oil that gets thicker in cold weather.

I was out at the range on a cold day a couple months ago, and had one 22 FTF. I set it aside and ran it through at the end of the shooting session. same one FTF again. tried a third time and BANG! I'm pretty sure it was the cold. This was with a Ruger Mk II.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I was on the range a couple of days ago with my semi auto sportking .22 rifle. It was a cold morning. I lubricated the action and got two FTF .22 CCI LR. very light strike on the rim....I worked through the action half dozen time ,,,and snapping the trigger....after that the .22 which did not fire the first time did so the second time around. I suspect it was the lubrication + the cold weather.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    One fine February day when I was in junior high, some buddies and I had gone out at dawn coyote hunting. Called in a fox to less than 30 yards and I 'clicked' a magazine's worth before he left. My grandfather pulled up on the road and hollered for us to come in the car because of the cold. I mentioned the misfires to which he replied, "yup, happens when it's 50 below". Since then, I've experienced hang and misfires when it's cold out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    over here we are seeing poor quality control with rimfire ammunition since winchester moved from Oz to USA.

Disassemble the bolt, clean, light synthetic oil. Check the firing pin spring. then try the ammo again. Decent 22 ammo is a long ways from being effected by four years of storage in a climate/ temp controlled environment. Shot in small bore rifle and handgun competition for 45 years, have ammo stored for over 40 years, no ill effect at all from storage, have seen plenty of gummed up 22s misfire over the years. The carrier in liquid lubricants, dries up, freezes, etc.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Springfield M1922 that I picked up moderately used but very fine condition. Cleaned it well (but not into the bolt mechanism).

Fired fine for all summer long and into fall. A winter range session, and half my Federal 711 ammo would not fire.

Found congealed lube in the firing pin channel and spring. Clean, lube, try again - worked great for me.

good luck, garrisonjoe