Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet trap in my basement....

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Basement?? Basement. Oh, yeah, there are areas of the country where you can dig a hole and not have it filled with water. Around here they are indoor swimming pools! ...
    With a dry season infiltration of 1gpm, if I didn't have a 2hp sump pump AND a battery backup, AND a generator backup to the battery backup, I would have an indoor pool too.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master

I used to shoot with my uncle who was into shotgun card matches where they punch those large holes in small cards at odd ranges. One of the match sites used one of those very same X-Ring Centrifugal Bullet Traps to collect their shot into 5 gallon pails set underneath the exist portal. Don't try it with shotguns! The wads and card material, along with the deformed shot would clog it up after a few sots and they would have to go out and unplug the device (hard to do quickly). It did a fine job of keeping the shot in a small area (6 circular feet around the bucket), because most of the shot did not go into the bucket without additional external guidance. The shot was piled deep enough to shovel it up into other buckets. I used that stuff for years making bullets until they shut down. Took a little longer to melt due to the extra oxidization on the shot, but it was FREE!
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    I got an e-mail with additional information. Evidently there were three sizes, 12x12, 18x18, and 24x24. The ad I posted earlier shows the smaller two, but not the third one. The smallest one was for placing on top of a table. Maybe it was not used in the basement. Maybe it was used in the dining room.

There was also reportedly an option to line the inside of the "pyramid" with another thickness of the same plate metal. That was for use with centerfire handguns. Doubt that it would take the .357 Magnum, but probably OK for anything else available at the time.

Turbo housings huh? Never thought of that. I work for a heavy truck manufacturer... might have to do some investigating and report back...

Mentioned in "Popular Science" magazine March 1965, article which begins on page 146. Title is "Setting up a basement shooting range".

Check out the lead illustration of Ozzie & Harriet shooting in their basement with the son in balck canvas hi-tops.

hope the link works

Boolit Master
    I got an idea! how 'bout old truck brake drums(big ones) for the "snale" ?

Boolit Master

cohutt,

the detroit bullet master trap is one that i looked at to see if one could be built easily. I think it can I just need to get off my duff.

I need to send that article you linked to to my wife. Our basement is unfinished and since we are at the design phase maybe extra sound deadening panesl could be put in place.

Boolit Grand Master

I just purchased one of these. Very cool trap.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapcan View Post
    cohutt,

the detroit bullet master trap is one that i looked at to see if one could be built easily. I think it can I just need to get off my duff.

I need to send that article you linked to to my wife. Our basement is unfinished and since we are at the design phase maybe extra sound deadening panesl could be put in place.
    What about ventilation? Gunpowder and primers produce pretty nasty smoke not to mention lead particles in the air. You might have an issue trying to sell a house with any amount of detectable lead issues. I suppose you could go with lead free ammunition but the smoke would be an issue rather quickly I would expect.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Or a big water pump shell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12