Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Question on bullet weight's.

Boolit Buddy

Question on bullet weight's.

I have the lee 180gr bullet I'd originally got to load in my 30-06, it throws a 183gr bullet. Then a 308 came around, mod 788 with a 17" barrel to the face of the receiver. I've been fooling with both of them and it occurred to me that the 308 can drive the same bullet about the same velocity as the 30-06? The 30-06 can drive a 200gr bullet as fast also, with reasonable loads that is. Been thinking I should probably go to a 200gr bullet in the 30-06 as I'll still get about the same velocity but the ft lbs energy will increase due to the greater bullet weight. So what di you think, should i go with the 200gr bullet in the 30-06? Don't know why I'm asking as I'm probably gonna go with the 200gr bullet any way. Then might take it along as a back up rifle elk hunting!

But it has occurred to me that to improve performance with cast bullet's, to go with a heavier bullet that can be driven about the same velocity as the lighter bullet.

Boolit Master

As you've stated, the 308 win hangs right along with the 30-06 until you get over 180gn in projectile weight.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master
    Same speed plus more weight does equal more power. I would go with whichever boolit was more accurate, and hunt like it was a .30-30.

Robert