Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You can't tell know it alls anything...they are always right

Boolit Buddy

You can't tell know it alls anything...they are always right

Have a good friend who started loading a number of years ago after he saw my set up. We've had good conversation, and shared ideas. He has always used jacketed bullets, and recently started using lead for practicing with an new SBH in 44 mag. He called me and said he had used PowerPro 300 using jacketed data for some equal weight lead slugs. I suggested he find another powder that could be used for lead and jacketed. He argued with me about it. It may be ok, but for some reason he is determined to use his powder. His current load is 24.2 gr of PowerPro 300 behind a 240gr lead slug. He thinks because he is under the max load for Alliant's data he'll be ok. Maybe, but I'll be standing down a few bays when he tests his load..
    Last edited by chutestrate; 02-19-2024 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Have a good friend who started loading a number of years ago after he saw my set up. We've had good conversation, and shared ideas. He has always used jacketed bullets, and recently started using lead for practicing with an new SBH in 44 mag. He called me and said he had used PowerPro 300 using jacketed data for some equal weight lead slugs. I suggested he find another powder that could be used for lead and jacketed. He argued with me about it. It may be, but for some reason he is determined to use his powder. His current load is 24.2 gr of PowerPro 300 behind a 240gr lead slug. He thinks because he is under the max load for Alliant's data he'll be ok. Maybe, but I'll be standing down a few bays when he tests his load..
    Never accept criticism from someone you'd not seek advice from. And never blame yourself for another's exercise in stupidity.

Some people can get something stuck in their head and you can't pull it out with a team of horses.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Never accept criticism from someone you'd not seek advice from. And never blame yourself for another's exercise in stupidity.
    Well said.

You are so right Hannibal. Case in point: I have a good friend who is very knowledgeable with regards to handloading but trying to tell him I can shoot cast in a Micro-Groove barrel is a lesson in futility! He absolutely will not believe it and refuses to shoot cast in a Winchester 94 375W. He say's " I don't want to get the barrel " all leaded up"! So.... I don't even try anymore. Issue solved for both of us.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Some just dont realize what the are working with in terms of pressures. Some feel that any listed "recipe" is safe no matter the conditions, firearm or combination of. Some have to learn the hard way. Some never learn.
    I dont shoot others reloads I dont offer my reloads to others. If I ask I will offer help, information,and advice. I will also give where to reference the information if possible.

Same in the shop Ill make a part for you but Im very selective who runs my machines.

Boolit Master
    It's not just firearms related, it applies to any mechanical devise from a Crescent wrench to the Chernobyl reactor: The worst damage that is done to something is not caused by someone that doesn't know what they're doing. It's caused by someone that THINKS they know what their doing.

You can lead a horse to water. You can even tie it to a tree on the water's edge. Yet some horses will still die from dehydration.

So it goes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I see the max for that powder and 240 gr jacketed bullet is 25.0 gr. 24.2 gr is not where I would start, but I doubt it will blow up his SBH.

It seems like a recommended powder for .44 Mag so why does he need a different powder? I must be missing something.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    It's been my experience that a jacketed bullet load, and same weight
    as cast bullet being considered would be safe load! Cast bullets have
    much less resistance in the barrel than a jacketed one! Load & shoot
    away!

Boolit Master
    Some cast bullet alloys can't handle the same pressures as jacketed.

Sometimes all you can do is let people **** around and find out. Hard lessons, but so it goes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I see the max for that powder and 240 gr jacketed bullet is 25.0 gr. 24.2 gr is not where I would start, but I doubt it will blow up his SBH.

It seems like a recommended powder for .44 Mag so why does he need a different powder? I must be missing something.
    I was wondering the same thing. Assuming other reloading procedures were followed correctly there’s basically a zero % anything bad is going to happen. The load 3% off max. Maybe not the ideal place to start but people do this all the time. It’s not very often I create a load with exact bullet, case, primer mentioned in manual.

I have given up giving unsolicited advice on reloading and also many other things. People these days in many instances are listening handicapped. Remember the old saying …God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason.

Boolit Master
    Yup, it can all go to poop in only 4 rounds depending on how things are matched up...

Above, four rounds through my 41mag with a standard load, only a different batch of alloy. It wasn't up to the inertia of being launched with that load. Just had to try it....

Works fine in the 45C though...

It had over a hundred plus rounds through it at the time of the pic..same alloy used in the 41 above. A slight change in alloy and it works like the latter.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Master
    I find it odd how folks can be so proud of their reloads. There’s greater works available to us in life.

Boolit Grand Master

I never used Power Pro 300 but a quick search does show cast bullets listing for it.

https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/44-Re...ro-300-MP/5942

https://bayoushooter.com/threads/all...44-mag.129020/
    Data below is what I got from Ben @ Alliant for cast bullets...

44 Rem Mag
    250 gr Cast Lead
    300MP powder start 23 grs max 24 grs

300 gr Cast Lead
    300MP powder start 18.5 grs max 19.5 grs

357 mag
    180 gr Cast Lead
    300MP powder start 12 grs max 14 grs

A firm crimp on the bullet is recommend.

I've shot 23 grains of 300 MP with a 250 gr. Beartooth cast so far..pretty stout in my 10" Contender.
    I have not run any through my chrony yet...but plan to using 300 MP, H110, and W296 to compare velocities...
    Bulldog........................................... ................................

To all Interested:

H-110 1,567 fps
    W-296 1,524 fps
    300 MP 1,450 fps

T/C Contender, factory 10" barrel, Leupold 2x scope and mounts.
    44 Mag., 250 LBT (0.432), Cast, Gas Checked Bullet (Beartooth Bullets)
    23 grs. each powder (min. load of 300 MP, per Alliant email with this bullet)
    Win Brass (3 times fired), Tula LP Primers
    Temp: 80 Deg.

Conclusion:
    I was surprised that 300 MP was that much slower. The H110 vs W296 can swap back and forth on top ends loads,
    as per load data in several manuals I have...one lot can be faster than the other, so no big surprise there.
    Recoil was stiff on all, but the H110 was tops in that department also...wrist is still sore.
    All grouped well @ 25 yds., but I was not focused on shooting tight groups.

H110 is still top powder for speed, which I have used a lot in my 44 mag. and 357 mag.
    All three powders looked the same out of the bottles, if you poured three piles on the loading bench, you could not tell them apart.
    I will re-test this again, probably with a different bullet. Tula primers seemed to be Magnum (per load work I done before before),
    loading manuals recommend magnum primers using H110/W296.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

There was a time when I was in my 20's. I was bullet proof and invisible! Or so I thought. Fortunately it all turned out OK. I was a big fan of max loads back then. If it had W296 and a light bullet, I was all over that.

Boolit Master
    I don't try to tell people what to do (accept at work when that is my job or as a parent). I make suggestions or share opinions, a few words to the wise is all that is needed, to the unwise, well.... What I see as what he is doing wrong is not dropping back 10% and working back up. That is what I consider the proper practice, when you change anything, you drop back 10% and work back up. That goes for different lot of powder, different primer, different bullet, different alloy, different gun.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Some cast bullet alloys can't handle the same pressures as jacketed.
    However some lead loads of the same weight can be driven faster with less pressure.

BTW, I just shot a bunch of cast bullets through a Glock 23 for the first time today. All the stories of the polygonal (sp?) rifling leading up and which turns out to be the Glock Kaboom. I pulled it apart when I got home, bore was shiny, raj a brush down it and it was very clean with no trace of leading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast