Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Making 7x57mmR from .303 British

Making 7x57mmR from .303 British

I did not see any 7mm rimmed brass available, so I got to looking at what was close.

303 is very close. The rim is a bit larger diameter by .009". That is ok for me as I will be using a lathe to cut the rim rebate in barrel breach.

The base is .014" too small but a piece of cellophane tape around it would center for the forming shot.

The case is .022 too short but will stretch a bit when necked down and that little short will be just fine with me.

What do you think?

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    PM sent.

BTW: they do not allow attachments in PM, so this is for you:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	323585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Longster N10116.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	323586
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Last time I checked Grafs had it in stock. I shoot it in an Encore. swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    Grafs has it:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/74148

In addition to PPU brass, they have 7x57R ammo in stock:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/26786

It’s probably really hard to load ammo for that price. The brass cost almost as much as ammo!

I’ve had good results with the S&B 8x57JR ammo. So good I don’t load for it.

I have a wildcat round that is 7 mm and formed on 303 British or 30-40 rimmed brass. It’s a shortened 7 x 64 die cut off to where the base ID is about .454 . I would include a picture but my iPad has to many pics stored and it will not let me add a new pic and post it. I can’t find a way to delete old pics in the Castboolits file ?
    Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Unless you really want to make it yourself, European PPU/PRVI or S&B is readily available. Consider that PPU virgin brass costs $49.99/50 ($1 each) at Grafs while S&B LOADED AMMO costs $21.19/20 ($1.06 each).
    Heck, just buy S&B loaded ammo, enjoy shooting it, then have a supply of once fired brass to start reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    I did not see any 7mm rimmed brass available, so I got to looking at what was close.

303 is very close. The rim is a bit larger diameter by .009". That is ok for me as I will be using a lathe to cut the rim rebate in barrel breach.

The base is .014" too small but a piece of cellophane tape around it would center for the forming shot.

The case is .022 too short but will stretch a bit when necked down and that little short will be just fine with me.

What do you think?
    Why???

It sounds like you can get the loaded ammo and brass. The correct headstamp is always worth a bunch to me. But so is a "Plan B". If the right stuff is there, grab a bunch. But if it dries up, (which has happened a lot to various reloading components over my lifetime), take a look at using .444 Marlin brass for your Plan B. It is pretty much a "Basic" rimmed x57 case. I'm just now measuring one; Rim= .508 dia, .057 thick, head = .468 dia, case mouth = .446, OAL = 2.212

Boolit Buddy
    444 Marlin was once the choice for forming 7x57R and 8x57R. However, 444 Marlin Brass is more expensive than buying loaded ammo for 7x57R or 8x57R right now.