RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to sorting WW's

Back to sorting WW's

About 20 years ago, a friend and fellow shooter sold his tire shop and retired to Florida.
    Before he closed on the shop, he called me and said to take all the wheel weights I could handle. Well, I took some 2000-2500 lbs of ww's and put them in my girlfriend's barn.....some 30+ 5 gallon buckets of ww's.
    I did a monster smelt session shortly thereafter and had probably 300 lbs of ingots. I have been working off those since then.
    We bought the house she was in so fortunately i did not have to move them. Sometimes I joke that we bought the house so I WOULDN'T have to move them.
    I am now down to my last 30 lbs or so of ingots and need to smelt again.
    I have been sorting zinc and steel ww's for a few days and will get about 200-300 + lbs of lead ww's to smelt. Yup...checking them one at a time.
    A magnet tells me the steel ones. A scratch tells me the zinc ones. A nice little gouge from a screwdriver end tells me the lead ones. Either way, they are all getting recycled
    There is something to be said for a 5 gallon bucket (or two - or three) of nothing but sorted LEAD ww's. Kind of pretty if you ask me.
    Nice quiet time in the barn with a heater and radio going. The casting/reloading room is a converted horse stall that is actually fairly tight and can heat up to about 60 or so if it isn't too cold out there.
    Winters are long and hard here in NH so I keep myself busy in the man cave. Cheap therapy.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Memories of buckets full of wheel weights. That's all they are now, memories. I used to pick up all I could carry for free, sometimes cost me a dozen doughnuts. Those days are long gone.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Nothing more beautiful than a 5 gallon bucket of WW's. I never found any of those free ones though and I started in the late 1970's. Never lived in a place where they were glad to get rid of them. On the flip side the price hasn't changed much at all during my lifetime. I paid 25 cents a pound back in the late 1970's and early 1980's and just last Summer I got 2 bucketfuls for 35 cents. Getting 30 buckets all at once, now that IS something. Sure saved a lot of work to buy the house where those were stored so you didn't have to move them. I have about 3,500 lbs that I need to move. Both a blessing and a curse!

That should keep you out of those crooked BINGO parlors for awhile.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The scrapyard I used to go to is long closed. They'd keep the WW's off to the side inside their building. I'd show up when passing which was about once or twice a week. Sometimes it was nothing and sometimes the truck would squat a little. I'd sort the WW's by composition before I bought them. The folks were appreciative and no matter what the market price was, they charged me 25 cents/lb. Can't really say how many I sorted but I still have my ingots stored in the 55 gallon drums they gave me. They gave me a bunch of 20lb propane tanks too. Said it cost them more to remove the valve then they made from the tank. Before they closed the manager said they didn't ship any lead WW's from their place for the 6 year period I went there.

Boolit Master
    20 years ago I was working hard but flat broke. We had a car, but the wife needed that for her job, taking the kids to school, and buying groceries. For years I would have to walk 3 miles to downtown to catch a bus to work, then walk those 3 miles again on the way home. I had a backpack, and I'd keep a ziplok bag in it just for tire weights. Whenever I found a tire weight at an intersection or on the shoulder of the road, in the bag it would go. I never found any zinc or steel weights back then, they were all lead alloy. Just from walking to work and back I was able to collect enough tire weights that I could cast up a batch of bullets every month. Those were simpler days, and though they were hard, they were also fun. I'm not poor anymore, and over a few years I was able to stockpile hundreds of pounds of pure lead, plus hundreds of pounds of casting alloys. If I had kept all the tire weights that I'd picked up off the street it would surely have filled more than one 5 gallon bucket, but they all got turned into bullets and shot before that would ever happen.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen THOSE days! We do what we have to do. I recall walking ONLY half a mile to the corner for my ride to work. However, I was in Michigan in January and February, NOT in Modesto, CA!

We do what we need to do. We were a one car family, wife was a stay at home Mom. We definitely do what we need to do.

Boolit Master
    Some folks is too good to scrounge. Their time is worth more than mine. If I see WW's laying in a public area, I'm gonna pick them up. You know, saving the environment from poisonous substances. I have a disposal plan. When I would search for pewter, I hit up all the flea markets in my area. On the weekend route was an old K-mart store that had indoor and outdoor vendors. It had a pretty steep hill on the end that used to do tire and car service. When it was changed to a flea market, the weekend crowd would get used tires installed on their cars and trucks. They would go through 600-800 tires changed on a weekend. When they would change tires, the old weights would hit the ground and there they stayed until a good rain and they'd get washed down the steep parking lot. During the week when they were closed, I'd stop by with my dishpan and work my way across and down the hill picking WW's. There was a major bus stop adjoining the shopping center. Bus patrons would see me and figure I was finding money or gold, so they'd start looking too. Not knowing what I was looking for and most likely figuring I wouldn't share any wisdom, they never asked. Eventually they'd give up cuz all they'd find was WW's, old diapers and trash. At once a month, after a good rain, a bad day was half a dishpan and on a good day was a full 5 gal. bucket. Good times.

Boolit Buddy

Wheel weights! I have gathered up buckets of them and recycled them into boolits. A couple of years ago, being a "Snow Duck" my wife and I would travel about an hour south of Miami to a little house on the water on an island. We fish, swim, and scuba dive in the warm South Florida waters. A couple of years ago a 40 some foot sailboat ran aground on a reef. Our friends and I were snorkeling around the reef when my buddies suggested we explore the sunken sail boat smashed up on the reef. There was alot of tools, dishes, ropes and rigging still on the wreck. Even a small 3hp outboard motor that had been under water awhile. Everything junk. My one friend dove down to the lower quarters of the wreck and said that there were a pile of lead bars. That got my interest. Must have hauled 700~800 lbs of lead bars out of that wreck that must have been added for more ballast. Floated the lead bars in an empty Igloo cooler back to my boat. Still making boolits from that haul! Sailboats have a massive keel for ballast. Most keels are lead. Now found a salvage yard and talked an operator who said I could possibly get some of the lead when they smash up a junk sailboat. You costal boolit casters should explore this source of lead.

Boolit Master
    The only lead wheel weights I’ve ever melted down were new, given to me by a friend of a friend who owned an auto shop. He was getting rid of them because California law prohibited their use.

I am going to sort another 5 gallon bucket this evening after work.
    Since I work from home, I will start the heater going around 3 or so and by the time I quit, it will be nice and toasty in the man cave. I should get a couple of hours in before dinner.
    My 37 year old daughter calls my reloading/casting area the "Apocalypse Room". It always made me chuckle.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

I still have one or two five gallon buckets of ww's to be sorted. I have a few buckets of smelted lead from corn muffin moulds (maybe 2,000 lbs worth). I didn't mind the spring at all, kinda therapeutic. I will still stop and pick up any ww's I find. Was stopped at a red light with my new gf in truck. Jumped out and picked one up. Jumped back in and she just shook her head. She gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I will still stop and pick up any ww's I find. Was stopped at a red light with my new gf in truck. Jumped out and picked one up. Jumped back in and she just shook her head. She gets me.
    Kind of like picking up brass. I have probably 20,000 223 brass in 5 gallon buckets....more than I will probably use in my lifetime....but I still pick it up at the range. Same with 9mm....and basically any caliber I cast or reload for.
    ....and yes, I pick up ww's too.
    ....aren't WE a scrounging bunch?
    ....and I talked with a guy last might at the member's meeting of our Sportsman's Club about recycling the steel and zinc ww's.....it turns out that they are virtually worthless. The scrap yards might give you $50 a TON for them.
    He works at the local Harley shop and said they save up the scrap metal and the like and annually deliver them to the scrap yard....and get something like $50 for them.
    Happy to give the steel and zinc ww's to him just to be rid of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one bucket full that is enough of a good thing for me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I hitch hiked out to California from Ohio several times in the 70s and did a lot of walking between rides, There were thousands of ww along the way, Young, dumb and full of dummy dust! Did not pick up nodda one.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Still got about a half bucket of wheelweights to smelt. Though, only the stick ons... If I had a 100 buckets today I never sell a single bucket....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    FISH4BUGS, if you weren’t on the opposite end of the country from me, I’d come help ya!

Don’t know about your neck of the woods, but cartridge brass down here inSW Louisiana goes for $2+ a pound at the scrap yard. Having multiple buckets of unsorted wheel weights is not a bad thing to have.
    ‘Zilla.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Still got about a half bucket of wheelweights to smelt. Though, only the stick ons... If I had a 100 buckets today I never sell a single bucket....
    Funny you should mention that.
    I am heading towards slowing down a bit (at 75 I guess it is time - been self-employed for 40 years)
    I debated when I took inventory and started this sorting project as to what to do with all these buckets of ww's, and I certainly could use the space in the barn.
    After thinking about it, I think I will keep them and just have a long range project of smelting all those buckets over the next few years.
    Then I will just have ww ingots of known composition....LOTS of ingots.
    If I ever do sell them, they would be better sold and shipped in ingots as opposed to raw ww's.
    Like they say "....invest in precious metals - gold, silver and lead."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Funny you should mention that.
    I am heading towards slowing down a bit (at 75 I guess it is time - been self-employed for 40 years)
    I debated when I took inventory and started this sorting project as to what to do with all these buckets of ww's, and I certainly could use the space in the barn.
    After thinking about it, I think I will keep them and just have a long range project of smelting all those buckets over the next few years.
    Then I will just have ww ingots of known composition....LOTS of ingots.
    If I ever do sell them, they would be better sold and shipped in ingots as opposed to raw ww's.
    Like they say "....invest in precious metals - gold, silver and lead."
    Their value definitely won't go down any time soon. All I see is lead prices rising. Actually buying lead at or near spot is nearly impossible today. I don't see that changing any time soon. Yeah, you might not shoot that many pounds of it. But it might end up being a pretty nice 401k plan for when you are ready to give up the hobby.

And if you ever get to the point you need an heir for them, just let me know....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Having multiple buckets of unsorted wheel weights is not a bad thing to have.‘Zilla.
    Exactly my conclusion.
    I'll be smelting off and on for the next few years.
    Kind of comforting to know they are there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast