Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Singel cavity Magma sprue plates

Boolit Buddy

Singel cavity Magma sprue plates

Since Magma sadly is out of business this, this makes me, and many other Comercial casters in a difficult situation. It's an insecure time ahead regarding spare parts, sadly.

A just got a set of Accuratemold blocks for my Bullet Master. My plan was to make 475 Linebaugh bullets for a customer. They are single cavity moulds for the fat boolits. It just accured to me that I need single cavity sprue plates for this mold set.

So my question is if anyone knows what kind of steel I need to make the sprue plates..... It looks like I must rely on a lokal machine shop to have these manufactured for me.

Boolit Buddy
    What I'm asking is if any kind of steel can be used if the dimensions are right?

Sent fra min Pixel 8 via Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Watching this thread. There seems to be a opportunity here for some business.

Boolit Mold
    maybe try calling new west. nwesti.com I am on a wait for a 9mm mold right now. so I cant give a review yet and also try calling magma i just got a blank mold, hardware and 2 cavity sprue plate 2 weeks ago.

Boolit Mold
    KAL tool and die use 1018 cold rolled steel. http://kal.castpics.net/Molds3.html. A training FabLab in Tulsa has a hourly program that you can rent their equipment. Looking at making the blanks using their water jet cutter. I will be a least a month b4 I can get some cut.

Boolit Buddy
    I've talked to Magma Engineering now based in Australia and they are soon up an running. They are making springs and spare parts for the machines. More info from them can be found at Facebook.

Sent fra min Pixel 8 via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    So an Australian outfit bought all of the tooling? Any more info on them? Name? web site?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ok-22shooter View Post
    KAL tool and die use 1018 cold rolled steel. http://kal.castpics.net/Molds3.html. A training FabLab in Tulsa has a hourly program that you can rent their equipment. Looking at making the blanks using their water jet cutter. I will be a least a month b4 I can get some cut.
    H&G per Wayne Gibbs used 1018 hot rolled. Cold rolled tends to have lot of stress from forming. In industry tooling plate is also normally hot rolled then Blanchard ground. My bet is KAL is using hot rolled verse rolled.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    New to MasterCaster but been around steel design for many years. While this is a bit generic, this is the yield strength of Hot vs Cold steel

Yield Strength HR 45,000 psi CR 70,000 psi

While the sprue plate is not very highly stressed, the 5 sprue plates I now own all show yielding where the wing hits the bar to open the sprue plate. If these are CR, using HR might yield (deform) a bit more. I picked up a 3/16" by 3" by 24" piece of HR on Monday and hope to get by the people that have the Water Jet to get started on getting parts cut. $5 HR material cost verse $50 CR cost. First estimate of having material ground was $10 a piece in the flat. Will be getting other quotes soon. My sprue plates show evidence of grinding after being bent, some bottom only, some top and bottom.