Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a gunsmith to convert 357 Blackhawk to 357/44 Bobcat

Boolit Master
    Bullcreekarms.com
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    I guess I must not understand why the cylinder has to be machined like that...

Wouldn't it just be easier to machine the cylinder with the bottlenecks so the bands weren't necessary? Isn't that basically what the 32-20 did? Doesn't seem very logical to chamber the gun in that manner...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    It has to do with the case taper/shoulder angle. The 32 WCF, 38 WCF and 44 WCF have relatively heavy tapered bodies, and a shallow angle shoulder, plus they are relatively low-power cartridges, so the set-back is not as extreme. The cartridge in question has a rather abrupt taper, and is a fairly powerful cartridge, which will exhibit a pronounced setback. The nylon sleeves allow adequate expansion laterally, alleviating the endward thrust of the cartridge.
    An example I can offer, from personal experience is the 22 Hornet, and 22 K Hornet, in a K-Frame Smith (with two correctly chambered cylinders): the 22 Hornet performed well, with no issues, where-as the K Hornet cartridge would lock-up the revolver by the 2nd round.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    It has to do with the case taper/shoulder angle. The 32 WCF, 38 WCF and 44 WCF have relatively heavy tapered bodies, and a shallow angle shoulder, plus they are relatively low-power cartridges, so the set-back is not as extreme. The cartridge in question has a rather abrupt taper, and is a fairly powerful cartridge, which will exhibit a pronounced setback.
    An example I can offer, from personal experience is the 22 Hornet, and 22 K Hornet, in a K-Frame Smith (with two correctly chambered cylinders): the 22 Hornet performed well, with no issues, where-as the K Hornet cartridge would lock-up the revolver by the 2nd round.
    Interesting. I would think that with a well tolerances chamber that wouldn’t be an issue. But you learn something new every day…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Well, I will say that every 38 WCF revolver I have owned (1 pre-1896 Colt Single action, and two Colt New Service) had what could be described as "generous" chamber dimensions. My Smith in 32 WCF doesn't exhibit such.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy

After reading all of your posts. I think I will just stick with the blackhawks that I have (2X 41 mag, 30 Carbine) and keep them separate from my Bobcat Contender. I did forget about the set back but JDs point of the 32-20 is interesting and the responses make sense

It's hard to go wrong with a 41 Blackhawk.
    Just be sure the barrel doesn't have any constriction where it goes into the frame.
    And don't mess up your trigger finger shooting too heavy boolits.
    Otherwise it's a one handed Winchester.

And, if after 6 rounds it doesn't fall down, look behind it to see what is holding it up!

Boolit Mold
    Somebody on ebay has been advertising a ruger cylinder in that caliber I believe. You might look

Revolvers are not chambered in high pressure bottleneck calibers for very good reason. Just ask S&W about their headaches with the .22Jet Model 53. Cartridge cases would tend to be swaged back in the chamber firmly up against the frame behind the cylinder, binding and retarding rotation of said cylinder. This isn't a problem with calibers like .32-20 and .38-40 and .44-40 because the taper is so slight. But once the taper or shoulder of a round gets past a certain angle of degree, the cases are pushed rearward in such a manner as to affix themselves with gusto flush against the surface behind the cartridge base.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    ...glad you saw the light before spending the money...

Had Gary Reeder make a 5.5" 5 shot .41 Magnum/.41 GNR about 20 years ago. The GNR is a .44 Magnum necked down to .41... Zero issues with case setback but with topend loads there is only 50 fps difference between the .41 Magnum and the GNR. 26 grains of H110 vs 30 in the GNR...a lot more blast with insignificant increase in velocity. A 6.5" BH runs the same 26 grain/170 Sierra load 50 fps faster than the GNR.

So while a great cartridge in a closed breech Contender I think you would be disappointed in the Bobcat in a revolver...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Had Gary Reeder make a 5.5" 5 shot .41 Magnum/.41 GNR about 20 years ago. The GNR is a .44 Magnum necked down to .41... Zero issues with case setback but with topend loads there is only 50 fps difference between the .41 Magnum and the GNR. 26 grains of H110 vs 30 in the GNR...a lot more blast with insignificant increase in velocity. A 6.5" BH runs the same 26 grain/170 Sierra load 50 fps faster than the GNR.

So while a great cartridge in a closed breech Contender I think you would be disappointed in the Bobcat in a revolver.

Bob
    I gave a lot of thought to this conversion myself, as well as the 356 GNR. I finally decided that the 44 and 41 magnums are too good as they are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12