Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Rossi r 92 38/357 and 45colt/454 casull

Boolit Buddy

Rossi r 92 38/357 and 45colt/454 casull

Do any of you reloaders know if it is ok to use coated bullets in these two lever guns,
    I have only had them a short time , and fired both factory and lead reloads in them and they worked fine

Boolit Master

Yes. Been there done that except for 454. Both GC & FB.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 92 eats anything with fair accuracy. Gonna put a Lyman 66 on it soon. Also need to figure out a new favorite load since I only have about 100 rounds worth of IMR 4756 left. Been shooting 6.5 grains under the Lee 358-125-RF for years, this load reminds me a lot of the .32-20. I'm thinking 7 grains Accurate #5 might be a good substitute.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    "Coated" is a rather inaccurate term. Coated with what? If you were to say, "molybdenum or powder coated", I'd say, "fine, except with black powder, but PC is ok with APP." Generally speaking, it's never a make or model that has problems, but rather a specific example, and maybe then, only within a narrow set of circumstances . So, asking generic questions will only get you generic answers.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master
    I shoot both Hitech coated and Copper plated in my levers all the time. Just keep the MV under 1200fps is the usual threshold to avoid problems. This is in both my .357mag and .41mag Henry BBS’s. IME when pushed past this threshold the copper plated left a coating of copper in the last 4-5 inches of the barrel that was a pain to clean out, and the Hitech coated bullets smelled like burnt wiring.