RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: sizing lee cast lead bullets

Boolit Buddy

sizing lee cast lead bullets

Do I size my cast 138-148WC bullets with a Lee bullet sizer before adding Alox? Should i let my cast bullets sit for a few hours after casting or cast right away.

You can size them as soon as you wish after casting. I've done them still warm when I was excited.

I size them without lube, but I also make sure my sizing die is not rough as a cob inside. If it gives undue resistance, I polish my die.

You can use a very light spray of Hornady 1 Shot case lube on them as well.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Will the Alox stick after One Shot is sprayed on?

Boolit Master
    Lee recommends a lite coat of their Alox to help as a lube for there sizing die, size, then a final coat of Alox. You can size without the Alox, but it can be tough on the boolets, die, the press, and you. I’ve done it both ways. Obviously it depends on how much you’re sizing down and how hard the boolets are. The choice is yours, lube before, or not. But if you do coat before sizing you still really need to still coat after!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Lee recommends a lite coat of their Alox to help as a lube for there sizing die, size, then a final coat of Alox. You can size without the Alox, but it can be tough on the boolets, die, the press, and you. I’ve done it both ways. Obviously it depends on how much you’re sizing down and how hard the boolets are. The choice is yours, lube before, or not. But if you do coat before sizing you still really need to still coat after!
    Yes yes, and yes!! I may smear a bit of Imperial on em by hand if not too many. If lots.. I tend to bust out my trusty Ideal/Lyman 45!! Old habits are tough to break...and, I do Not argue with success!!!
    Edit to say...I have in the past done a quick (reduced/thinned) coat of LLA, then sized, then More (even sometimes dipped) LLA...That works good...Slow, but Works good!! Cannot emphasize enough "smooth" size die!!!

Boolit Master
    I tumble lube with LLA before sizing/gas checking and lube again afterwards and get zero leading.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Buddy
    I also tumble lube before and after sizing. I still use a Lyman 450 sizer when I do .44 cal or larger.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Hornady One Shot contains N-HEXANE. Does not wash off with water like RCBS 2 Case lube.

Lee Liquid Alox is used before and after sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your replies. I gave up on the bullets and will give it to my friend who the bullets are for. He will resize and Alox them.

Lee sizers tend to get cruddy from Sb when sizing and tear the bands when sizing. If they are hard to size they may get base fins, a no no. Use BLL or LLA sparingly will help a lot (BLL is 50/50 liquid floor wax and LLA). Size as soon as cool if you like. Waiting 2 wks and they will be harder. I size nose first. Base first I have trouble getting a good square base alignment. My bullets are FN. If RN you need a special nose punch.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have a few molds I can alox without sizing. They just don't hold enough boolits. If I size a boolit with one of my 450's I may well lube it at the same time.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 02-19-2024 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    I only use Lee Liquid Lube on their official tumble lube bullets so I don't have to size. If I'm going to have to size anyhow, I fail to see any reason to mess with the Lee lube. Just use stick lube and be done with it while sizing.

I use 1-shot case lube inside the Lee sizing die when starting to size.
    `Doesn't seem to affect applying ALOX afterwards, and keeps the die clean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-06_Lee_312-155(2R)_2400.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	323614

QL predicts 1,720fps. Actual was 1,707
    (Also, note how far down we're sizing here)