WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: I found #11 caps

I found #11 caps

But the price tag...
    We'll start with the where - NOT a place I would have ever expected to find something for REAL guns, but in hindsight, it makes perfect sense. Tombstone. Yes, "The Town Too Tough To Die", that one - the wife and I went down there for two days. The fish and chips at the Crystal Palace was pretty darn good, do watch the live action OK Corral shootout, just don't get the chorizo and eggs at the OK Corral Diner, (darn near killed me), and for the love of little green horse apples, DON'T stay at the Tombstone Motel... Gah. But...I digress.
    Whilst wandering the three city blocks or so that make up Tombstone, The Tourist Trap, I was struck by a few things. One, there are many gun shops along that street. Real guns for sale, 99% Old West or black powder, some original, (beat up Colt Lightning for $2500, for example), no ARs or other modern newfangled stuff, generally, but it was REALLY funny when you noticed every OTHER place had a sign, "No Firearms". Guess they don't want the guests dueling with the actors. Not to mention every bar, Crystal Palace, Oriental, Big Nose Kate's, Doc Holliday's Bar, etc., all sell alcohol and a LOT of it.
    One shop is three things, cigar/tobacco/gun shop. I didn't get a picture of the outside, but the bag with my pipe tobacco says Smoke Signals. They also had guns on the shelf, and one made me about drop my coffee - a Remington New Model Army, stainless, (so it's a reproduction), with a price tag of $1,200. Egad. As of the second I was typing this MidwayUSA has the Uberti 1858 new Model Army stainless on sale for $433.49. Well, it's a tourist trap, so go figure...
    "By the way, I do have some percussion caps..."
    Oh, you do? Number 11s?
    "Yep."
    Ooooh boy, can't find those anywhere...how much?
    "29.99 per 100."
    I had a very fast serious discussion with myself about overpriced stuff in a tourist trap town, and dwindling budget, and a bunch of other malarkey I paid no attention to while forking over my hard-earned cash. Yes, I did it - I bought one tin, strictly because I can say I bought gun supplies in Tombstone, you see. Any rationalization in a storm...
    So, there ya go - you can still buy guns and ammo in Tombstone. You will PAY for it, but it can be done.

Boolit Master
    Women will buy something they may need when it hits half price, men will pay twice the price for what is needed when it is needed.
    So good work!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well, I tell mine I didn't drink it, I didn't smoke it, and I didn't slide it into someones skivvies! Tomorrow, next week, next year be worth? $30 in an establishment these days is about three stiff wet ones with tip, could have been worse but you have 100 bang starters. Hope you enjoyed the day!

Well, following up on what you said, the shop IS four storefronts down from the infamous brothel, the Birdcage Saloon! But I had my wife with me, so all is well.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    So, sitting on 4 tin's of #11, 2 tin's of #10, 4 lbs of Tripple 7 and a 9oz bottle of Trail Boss, I'm on a platinum mine?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    $29.99 WOW. I thought the $13.00 a hundred I paid last year for two cans of #10's was plain old thievery. But, when you consider that the local McDonalds pays $18.00 to $22.00 per hour I guess $29.99 is about right. In the name of equity the politicians have moved the decimal point one place to the right.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I have around 8K. I paid $36 a thousand for them.

Boolit Master
    I really can't see why the costs are so high.
    I think that manufactures have reduced production just to drive the costs way up.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I really can't see why the costs are so high.
    I think that manufactures have reduced production just to drive the costs way up.
    They figured out that people will still buy them, so why sell them for less?
    You can very easily make your own for almost nothing once you get tooled up.
    You can buy the primer compound that is corrosive which is no big deal since you have to clean your gun after shooting anyway.
    If I shot black powder the way you guys do, I would definitely look into it.
    By the time the prices come down, if they ever do, you will have paid for your meager investment you made in tooling up.
    Then you can go back to the factory caps.
    Something to think about.

Boolit Master
    In my case, money is not an issue.
    I make my own caps , but will buy factory caps when I can at a decent price.
    With the caps being a little more corrosive than factory primers isn’t as much of an issue when you are shooting BP especially if it is homemade powder.
    You need to clean your guns right away.
    So where does the primer corrosion come into play.
    And Yes,
    Prices are not going to come down on the primers as long as people keep buying them at high prices.

Boolit Master
    But playing devil's advocate the new class of the papered/pampered ones at the big desk say- sales are down and we will move that production allocation away to other areas. It's all about the power points and graphs, it appears not much understanding outside of the bubble.

Boolit Master
    The WalMart's in our area get one carton of caps a year. They are less than $6 a tin and sell out quick so I keep an eye out for them. I usually buy a couple a year from different stores to leave some for others. That more than covers my needs so I have a few put up. Other places like Dunham's sell caps at $12.99 a tin.

Can't say I wouldn't have bought a tin just to say they they were from Tombstone. Sometimes we splurge a little on a vacation. I usually buy a knife I don't need when we go to Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Might as well enjoy the ride.

Boolit Master
    I think I will scratch visiting Tombstone off my to-do list. Those prices are unconscionable.

One of my amigos went to tombstone a few years ago. I had him bring me back a bottle full of dirt.

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys, new to the group here.
    I recently did get tooled up with a die, and prime all from 22 Reloader. I’m on my 3rd batch of 100, and have had some really good success. Albeit, I’ve had some misfires, but I’m learning a ton of information on here, and YouTube. I find it kinda of fun making them and trying to perfect the process.
    Give it a try if you have the patience to do it, it’s definitely worth it IMO

Btw, I’m shooting a “Lyman Great Plains 50 cal.” Awesome gun