WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Vihtavuori N-133 ??

Boolit Buddy

Vihtavuori N-133 ??

Anyone using VV N-133 in our Lever guns. It appears to between IMR 4198 & IMR 3031, bought some and need a little information if you have used this powder. I load 40-60 & 45-60 WCF in 1876's ( Chaparral's), Thank you.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Super Moderator

Sorry, no help with the use of it in in lever guns. I can tell you that is a fantastic powder though. I use it extensively in the 223 Remington for match loads, with the 52 grain Sierra in a 1/12 twist rifle. I have found no equal to N133 for that use. Hopefully someone will be along to comment on some lever gun use, because I'd be interested in that as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank everyone for the info. will load down & work up.

coffee"s ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    Used to be the powder for shooting 50-60 gr bullets in the 6PPC. A little slower than 4227 and faster than 4198/3031. As has been said, great for match bullets in the 223. I've got a 223 XP-100 that really likes that powder.

Boolit Mold
    I have been using this powder in 308, 45-70 and 450 Marlin. Good powder! And good information on Vihtavouri's website.

Hootmix, N133 has never been approved by Viht. for the .444, not even in previous editions of the V. manual, but your question is also a curiosity of mine, because I have a .444 and N133, but today I have few/zero opportunities to try the combo at least, in my imagination, to soften the recoil felt with the N120, which I don't particularly like in this lever and would use in other calibers_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 02-18-2024 at 07:12 AM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    All the charts i'v looked at N133 is right at IMR 3031, and at $40.00 per lb. (LGS) i thought i would give it a try. Also have a friend that shoots a 45-70 RB so it won't be wasted. I will post my results, will be shooting over a chrono. Again, thanks' to everyone.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

I've used n133 for 45-70 300-400/405 and casts 420 and up, I know many who favors it, but for my liking it's a bit slow, needs pretty hard compression for good results, and gets a bit dirty in mild loads with not very good es and sd. Good thing probably being that overloading it is not very easy. But for you and triple4, these two will provide at least some quidance:
    https://reloadingdata.speer.com/down...Marlin_240.pdf
    https://reloadingdata.speer.com/down...Marlin_270.pdf
    You can also start with n130 data max, check the velocity and go up watching it, same velocity meaning lower pressure with n133, if case capacity is not interfering.