Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Hornady vs Ideal Gas checks

Boolit Bub

Smile Hornady vs Ideal Gas checks

Any preferences on Hornady vs Ideal gas checks. Boolit is 30 cal 150 gr FP Lee for my trusty ole Model 94 and I will be using this one for plinking only, so super accuracy is not a concern (just want to hit a gallon milk jug at 100'). Boolit is cast with Lyman #2 and sized with Lee sizing die (to cheap to buy die and punch for my old Star). Thanks in advance for you input.
    Last edited by Gary51; 02-18-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: distance wrong

Boolit Master

Hornady. They crimp on better in my experience. That said, the other brands sometimes seem to buy Hornady and rebrand them.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master

Best I can tell Ideal checks are made by Lyman. I don't believe Ideal marked checks have been made in many years. In theory anyway the Lyman checks are supposed to fall off in flight and the crimp on Hornady are supposed to go along for the ride. In handgun shooting I haven't seen any difference on paper between Lyman or Hornady checks.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks. These are antique gas checks I came across a while ago and assume they are the pre Lyman name change. Always used Hornady with no problems, but the price on theses old Ideals was to good to pass up and the old box was cool.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used many boxes of them before the Hornady gas checks became available, and I still have some on the shelf. If there's a difference in accuracy, I haven't seen it.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I still hand a couple of boxes of Lyman gas checks but I also have 15 boxes of Hornady gas checks also. If your loading in a straight walled case I can't see as how it would matter but in a bottle neck rifle case, I fret about the darned thing (Lyman) falling off into the powder and making a bad day at the range.

In pistol loads I see no difference in accuracy but beware that you may stick a few uncrimped checks into your sky screens as I have done in the past.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master

The yellow ones are the best. But rare

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I prefer the hornady style. In terms of accuracy I haven't seen a difference between the ideal/early lyman style and the hornadys, but just in terms of storage- the checks often fall off when I swirl in LLA and even with a lube sizer, sometimes fall off in the storage bit. Grab a bullet, pick it up, check stays behind.

I don't trust just neck tension to hold it on and now only use them if I'm using a case filler or if I superglue them to the bullets. That might not hold for the ride down range, but will hold it while in the case loaded.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the input and thoughts. These ancient Ideals are the yellow (kind of brassy) colored gas checks and I wonder if they are copper? These would be used for a 30-30 so I am crimping the bullet and wonder if there would be enough if any neck tension to help retain the gas check (without using super glue). Think I'll stick to my Hornady's for this session.
    Gary