WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannelure tool

Boolit Mold

Smile cannelure tool

I understand someone on this board has a line on a good cannelure tool. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

Boolit Buddy
    chuckbuster "Ultimate Cannelure Tool" I don't know if he still makes them. I own the wide model #091 with additional tooling.
    Last edited by rcslotcar; 02-25-2024 at 01:27 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo-Steve View Post
    I understand someone on this board has a line on a good cannelure tool. Can someone lead me in the right direction?
    One of the many happy purchases I have made from folks on this site was the Ultimate Cannelure Tool which was made by "Chuckbuster". I also purchased his accessory wheels . This replaced my C-H tool. Tis hard for me to believe that I purchased mine on November 24th, 2014! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuckbuster tool.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	323451

As above post suggested, I, too, do not know if these are still be made. However, manufacturer/seller gives new meaning to "straight shooter" and his eMail address -- the "real one" a decade back, was chuckbuster at hotmail dot com . You might try it?

Good luck! Again, if you can find one -- imho, there's none better!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo-Steve View Post
    ...I don't know if it can be useful, but here are some notes stolen here, now in my archive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Immagine 2022-03-02 081719.jpg   Immagine 2022-04-24 011033.jpg   Immagine 2022-04-24 011219.jpg   Immagine 2022-04-24 011317.jpg   Immagine 2022-04-24 011738.jpg  

Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    chuckbuster "Ultimate Cannelure Tool" I don't know if he still makes them.
    Nope, I got one of the last 3 made in 9/2022. It's not for sale!
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Mold
    I have the C-H tool. Don’t know if they are still in business. I use it on 10mm/40 cal bullets for 38-40.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Easty View Post
    I have the C-H tool. Don’t know if they are still in business. I use it on 10mm/40 cal bullets for 38-40.
    I did a search and found a website

https://chtoolanddie.com/
    2023 CH Tool & Die. All rights reserved.

here is a link for the Cannelure tool. and it says to call for availability
    https://chtoolanddie.com/products/bullet/CanToo
    in general for ordering the site says

HomeCustomer Service
    How to Order

Until we get the online ordering system up and running, the best way to order is via email. You can call if you like, but the phone lines frequently back up and you will end up having to leave a message anyway.

So for now:

Make a list of part numbers you are interested in.
    Send us the list via our contact page.
    We will email back and forth to discuss availability, prices, and shipping.
    When everything is ready, you can call with credit card details, ask for a PayPal® invoice, or send us a check or money order.

Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    chuckbuster "Ultimate Cannelure Tool" I don't know if he still makes them.
    Would this be the same madman named chuckbuster on YouTube?
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? Cannelured cases were common decades ago. You used to see them usually in .45acp, .38spl, 9mm, .45colt and such. But you almost never see them anymore. I like how newly cannelured cases can help to prevent bullet set-back within the case, which can be very important for straight-walled cartridges in self-loading actions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannelured 38spl.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	323515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannelured 45acp.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	323516
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atfsux View Post
    I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? Cannelured cases were common decades ago. You used to see them usually in .45acp, .38spl, 9mm, .45colt and such. But you almost never see them anymore. I like how newly cannelured cases can help to prevent bullet set-back within the case, which can be very important for straight-walled cartridges in self-loading actions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannelured 38spl.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	323515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannelured 45acp.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	323516
    I had one some years ago that was supposed to do that, but it completely lacking any precision relative to depth or position of the cannelure groove.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 02-18-2024 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Nope, I got one of the last 3 made in 9/2022. It's not for sale!
    I almost bought a second one when those three were posted, they are that nice.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? ...
    I have a C-H for bullets, but I am convinced it can also do cannelure on brass.
    never tried, but the difference could lie in putting a removable core in the brass that prevents it from being crushed, just in case...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    I almost bought a second one when those three were posted, they are that nice.
    Yup

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Does anyone make a tool specifically for rolling lube retaining checkering on the exterior of smooth sided boolits?

Boolit Master

When I started sizing Jacketed .357 Bullets to .351" for my Winchester model 1907 a guy on a news group (190's) told me to try the Lee Factory Crimp die for 38/.357 . It works like a charm to make the case indent on the bullet jacket.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? Cannelured cases were common decades ago. You used to see them usually in .45acp, .38spl, 9mm, .45colt and such.
    Supposedly, the UCT had an optional roller that would let you do that to a case with a rim, but when I got mine they only had 3 tools left and no other parts or optional tooling. I can cannelure rebated rim cases like 45 acp but not 44 mag.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Supposedly, the UCT had an optional roller that would let you do that to a case with a rim, but when I got mine they only had 3 tools left and no other parts or optional tooling. I can cannelure rebated rim cases like 45 acp but not 44 mag.
    I purchased this option with my UCT, and albeit I only used it once -- more "playing around" than for any specific cartridge, I recall noting that results varied if different brands of brass were used; and, trim length had to all be right on. I had thoughts to annealing brass first, but never got around to it. My purchase of the optional roller was 99% more of an "OCD -- I may need it someday -- so, why not?" purchase.
    On the other hand, as writ in earlier post, there are no words I'm aware of to voice higher praise for the Chuckbuster tool. I have mine fastened to a 1/2" thick Plexiglas rectangle relying upon C-clamps to mount it as/where I wish -- and it has alway been a pleasure-plus to use! My one and only regular complaint -- which is pretty much "all me!" is when I, say cannalure 100 bullets, I can almost guarantee I will be picking 10 or so up off the floor. So regular an occurrence I always put a plastic dish-wash container on floor when I do this -- to catch them! Again -- I do my canneluring with oil lub -- and hangin' onto those cannelured bullets can, for my fat fingers, be a challenge....
    geo

Boolit Master

The only cannelured brass I see with any regularity is 38 special and occasionally 357 mag. And the varying distances the cannelure is from the case mouth makes it doubtful the purpose is to prevent bullet setback, unless the cartridge is cannelured after loading, to form a crimp ring through the brass indenting the projectile.
    Some Remington 38 special has a cannelure 1/8 inch below the case mouth and the bottom of bullet is set well below that. I could see how the depth of case cannelure shown in post #9 pictures may keep the bullet from setting back. And also cause a weak spot in the case. Factory loaded 38 wadcutter brass typically has a cannelure indexing the base of the bullet. Even that pretty much vanishes for any useful purpose after one or two reloads. I’ve tried feeling the cannelure inside the case with a dental pick, there isn’t much left, least-wise enough to restrict the rearward movement of a bullet, let alone provide a stop when seating a bullet.
    Just my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Does anyone make a tool specifically for rolling lube retaining checkering on the exterior of smooth sided boolits?
    Most of us just rolled them on a coarse double-cut file.
    Cognitive Dissident

According to >outpost75< the purpose of the case cannelure on .38 Special and .357 was to locate the bullet upon assembly, since smokeless loads could not do so. The case was sized down and crimped in a subsequent operation.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast