Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Grain Mills

Grain Mills

What kind of grain mills are in use among the members?
    We use a hand cranked Country Living brand mill for coarse flour or anything short of totally powdered. And for fine flour one of those dang near antique (but still reliable as ever) "Kitchen Mill" electric powered lexan bin machines that sounds like a 1960's vacuum cleaner or a Boeing 707. They're both good solid machines for a household and take care of the grains we use. I stopped brewing long ago so's passed the old Sheffield cast iron hand cranked grinder on to a nephew that wanted and could use it. The corn cracker mill was passed on to a niece with chickens (her scorpion killing miniature velociraptors ).
    Anyone else grinding or processing grains? How do you like what are you using?

Moderator Emeritus

One of these, for fine flour I make 2 passes https://retselusa.com/store/product_...bot3qfqvngjue4

Boolit Grand Master

We had a grinder on the farm that was used to grind grain for hog chicken and cattle feed. but several times we cleaned it up and ground wheat rye and buckwheat flour. It was pto driven off the tractor. for chickens and pigs the big chore was shelling. cattle got it ground cob and all. Wheat rye and buckwheat were shoveled in with a scoop shovel.

My grinding is pretty much relegated to dried Thai peppers and grinding them in an electric coffee mill. I carry a pill bottle full of ground bird pepper, in my pocket. A pine tree farm's soil is not so good for growing grains.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I cant recall the name but mine is made in Germany. I've only used the flake to make hot cereal and granola. I have both the hand crank and the power head.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I have a Victorio that I bought for grinding grains but since I don't eat those any more I switched it to grinding up black powder pucks now. It works great for that.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Victorio hand grinder for flour (a real workout) and a Cereal Killer for when I brew.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

My wife has a KitchenAid attachment for her mixer. Not a real high capacity unit but she makes 2 loaves of sour dough bread every 2 weeks and for that it's just fine.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Model 99 Grainmaker they are made in Montana , they are hand crank but have a v-belt pulley that you can add a electric motor to , and you can adjust from course to ultra fine .

Moderator Emeritus

Kitchen Aide mill that fits on her kitchen aide. We have a hand one somewhere.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze